Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 RM with 23,441 miles on the original front tire. I’ve heard others complain about the factory E3, but I have nothing negative to say. It’s a little chopped, but It’s carried my wife and I safely over hill and dale, dry or wet, cold or hot, always safely. And I never felt that it didn’t have excellent traction. I’m changing it out, so I’m taking a few pics to share. I putting an E4 on so hopefully it’s as good or better than the this one. Let me know what your getting for wear and mileage on your fronts
102DE2A8-E12F-458F-B52C-AFE00223F870.jpeg
C38FC1B5-A1D7-40B2-A4B7-47D485774F72.jpeg

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just don't ride in wet weather you'll be fine ,my e3s were horrible when caught in the rain,a little scary at times, so I swapped out with only5000 miles on them and got the Metzlar cruisetechs now I can ride in confidence.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
671 Posts
I just hit 25,000 on my original front tire, that looks to be in similar condition to the OP's tire. I'm gonna get it replaced soon,most likely with another E3.

·
Founding member
1,031 Posts
I agree Boris. E3's have been rock steady on dry surfaces and in hard rains. Great tires. I'll be changing to E4's soon and look forward to equal or better performance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just mounted and balanced the E4 a few days ago. Seemed great on my solo test ride. We’ve got a few 2-up trips planned this summer so I’ll post back and report what I think.

When I changed the original rear E3 I did a similar move and went with an E4. The original rear was total junk at 14k. Worst chopping (or cupping) I’ve ever had on a rear tire. Unfortunately, the E4 doesn’t seem much better after 9,000 miles. I don’t think it will make it to 14k like the original E3 did.

I wonder why I’m getting stellar miles from the front and below average from the rear? Rear tire PSI I’m running is 44 pounds - Is it because we predominantly ride 2-up?

·
Rider
1,158 Posts
If you are happy with the E3s, then you will be real happy with the E4s. I changed mine last year. I put 17,000 on the E3s, and now have 17,000 on my E4s and there is still alot of life left. I won't be putting alot of miles on this summer 3,000 now, but no trips planned because of the covid.

E4s are also quieter than the E3s.

--
Gordon

·
Rider
844 Posts
Running an E4 now, 17 RM I replaced the OEM E3 last spring 28k if I remember correctly. I have 15k on the E4 now. Appears it will get me through most of this season.I slapped on an E4 on the rear last summer looks like I’ll get 20k+ on it

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,811 Posts
I just mounted and balanced the E4 a few days ago. Seemed great on my solo test ride. We’ve got a few 2-up trips planned this summer so I’ll post back and report what I think.

When I changed the original rear E3 I did a similar move and went with an E4. The original rear was total junk at 14k. Worst chopping (or cupping) I’ve ever had on a rear tire. Unfortunately, the E4 doesn’t seem much better after 9,000 miles. I don’t think it will make it to 14k like the original E3 did.

I wonder why I’m getting stellar miles from the front and below average from the rear? Rear tire PSI I’m running is 44 pounds - Is it because we predominantly ride 2-up?
Because your rear tire is a radial tire. The front is bias. Radial tires on a heavy bike will cup horribly especially with two up riding. A radial flattens out for more contact patch on the road but you have a rounded profile which means that sides of the contact patch are traveling at different rates thus you get cupping. A bias tire in the back will not flatten out as much as the radial. Radials work great on cars with a flat profile but not so well on a big heavy bike. Radials on a bike make for a great ride and traction but they do have drawbacks. Dean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts