Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 5'8" I was finding the FTR ride height just a tad bit uncomfortable. I ordered the Hyperpro lowering kit and had a local tech install it.

First impressions were great. I can nearly flat foot the bike and it lowered it visibly giving it what I think is a lower more aggressive look. However... after a couple rides on some less then ideal pavement... the rear is now super rigid. I don't have any experience with progressive shock springs. Is this expected? Any tricks to soften it up? Does it look installed properly? To me it looks overly compressed with no load on it, but i'm not expert in this area.

I've reached out to Hyperpro, but was hoping someone here might have some info. Thanks.

·
Silver member
3,966 Posts
Ah, the nature of progressive springs to reduce ride height. They used a long initial section of soft wound spring for the first part of the travel (introducing a lot of static sag), and a short stiff section to avoid bottoming out.

they have sacrificed suspension travel for more static sag.

Nothing you can do about it unless you loose 50lbs and install a softer spring...

·
Registered
165 Posts
At 5'8" I was finding the FTR ride height just a tad bit uncomfortable. I ordered the Hyperpro lowering kit and had a local tech install it.

First impressions were great. I can nearly flat foot the bike and it lowered it visibly giving it what I think is a lower more aggressive look. However... after a couple rides on some less then ideal pavement... the rear is now super rigid. I don't have any experience with progressive shock springs. Is this expected? Any tricks to soften it up? Does it look installed properly? To me it looks overly compressed with no load on it, but i'm not expert in this area.

View attachment 582020

I've reached out to Hyperpro, but was hoping someone here might have some info. Thanks.
As Max stated - this is the nature of the beast when it comes to progressive wound lowering springs.

·
Bronze member
1,239 Posts
You also lost a lot of internal shock travel as well. Which means you lost overall suspension travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I went with them because I had heard good things. But this certainly wasn't an inexpensive way of lowering the bike and has a real down side.

·
Silver member
3,966 Posts
What did you expect? There’s only one way to lower a bike without changing the shock length: offer up suspension travel....

A shorter shock is much more expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like you're not running any preload as well, as soon as you sit on the bike you're probably soaking up a third of the soft wound section..I would try adding about 10-15mm of preload in the back depending on your weight?

Out of curiosity, what did you do with the kickstand to accommodate the lowered stance? These bikes sit pretty upright on the stand already.

·
Silver member
3,966 Posts
Why do you want to flat foot? Looks like you could even stand tall and get your ass out of the saddle now? You're loosing quite some lean angle like this.... (you ordered the adjustable rearsets, did you?)

Mind if I ask what your previous bikes were?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm newish to riding and not putting my knee down anytime soon. Flat footing just more comfortable for my ride skill and style currently. The shoes I have in the picture have a large sole on them, in my normal riding shoes my heals aren't touching on both sides. Would have to stand on my toes to get my ass out of the seat.

Only bike I've owned was a Honda Super Cub(if you even consider this a motorcycle). Spent some time riding a buddies Triumph Bobber and BMW s1000r. Unfortunately had to cancel my rearset order :(

·
Bronze member
1,239 Posts
I’m 5’ 9” and fit fine. You need to learn how to adjust your riding to fit the bike. No need to flat foot both feet. Balls of both feet or one foot on the peg one off . You took away a great amount of handling with lowering it that much. Unless you’re into drag racing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Figured i'd be walking into comments like this. Rode it at stock height for some time and wanted to try out lowering it. I agree there isn't a need to flat foot, but its absolutely more comfortable for me. Haven't noticed any handling issues, but i'm not riding around any tracks.

·
Silver member
3,966 Posts
Time to thorughly practice those low speed exercises (the FTR is an easy bike for them btw). (y)

Figure eight, 90 degree from standstill, slalom, narrow circle....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts