Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Silver member
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the Peroxide wins!! Months ago member NYMike mentioned Hydrogen Peroxide was/is good at removing bug splatter from his bikes, so figured I'd give it a go. I've used it a couple of times on the front surfaces of my Vintage in the past couple of weeks. I liberally wet one half of a terry cloth wash cloth with it, then run it over the bugs on all the front surfaces of the bike. Then I go back to my starting point and with little to no effort the splatter wipes right off. Quick and easy.

Just thought I'd throw that out here, for those who haven't tried it....

Thanks NY Mike (y)

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
When we were kids my brothers and I would have H.peroxide swabbed onto our scraped knees etc. It bubbled up like crazy and we thought that was very cool. Does it do the same with the bugs? Apparently that part of me hasn't grown up yet. :)
Don't know about bugs but if you like bubbles, Hydrogen Peroxide works wonders removing blood. If you cut yourself and blood gets on a fabric, pour some HP on the blood. It bubbles.

·
Registered
863 Posts
When we were kids my brothers and I would have H.peroxide swabbed onto our scraped knees etc. It bubbled up like crazy and we thought that was very cool. Does it do the same with the bugs? Apparently that part of me hasn't grown up yet. :)
If they are still alive I use a magnifying glass.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Dryer Sheets that the wife uses in dryer and saves them for me. You
take a few in your hand and dip in a water pale and wipe lightly over the bug splatter and it comes right off. Has a nice smell too...

·
Bronze member
1,461 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide denatures to water and oxygen so it'll be safe to use anyway

• I use those cheapest spray furniture polish cans the spray on beeswaxy-Type stuff
  • the moisture softens the bugs and they lift off easily and the wax fills in those tiny little shimmer scratches you get in the perspex
  • And no I don't know why this went to a bulleted list

·
Silver member
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hydrogen peroxide denatures to water and oxygen so it'll be safe to use anyway

• I use those cheapest spray furniture polish cans the spray on beeswaxy-Type stuff
  • the moisture softens the bugs and they lift off easily and the wax fills in those tiny little shimmer scratches you get in the perspex
  • And no I don't know why this went to a bulleted list
'cause here in America we like bullets :cool:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Terry cloth soaked in hot water. Lay it over you windshield for a few seconds then wipe them right off.
Just like you do a hot water soaked terry cloth for 30 to 45 seconds and wipe the bugs away.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Just like you do a hot water soaked terry cloth for 30 to 45 seconds and wipe the bugs away.
ive tired everything. And I carry a can of lemon pledge around in my saddle bag. But the hot water soaked terry cloth towel workers better than anything else I’ve tried, including most of the stuff marketed to clean off bugs.

like you said, let it soak for a good 30 - 45 seconds and wipe away. The hotter the better.

·
Bronze member
1,980 Posts
Peroxide in a spray bottle. Spray on bugs. Wait 5 minutes and wipe them off with a microfiber cloth. Easy peasy. Been doing it for years. A must have in May and September in Fl.

Reactions: GatorGirl

·
Bronze member
1,980 Posts
Try using "Rainx" on the screen and your visor, bugs come off easy. :D
If your visor/screen is plastic I highly advise against using Rainx. It can cause crazing. A good application of wax works well.

·
Rider
1,107 Posts
Friday rode my 2016 Chieftain to Sturgis for the N Switch recall, took long way back, total miles about 480, the bugs were absolutely terrible by time I got back home to Montana. Also had the tech install my NGK Iridium plugs that got me 2--3 more mpg.

The Hydrogen Peroxide worked well, I let it sit 2 minutes, then gently wiped down with soaking wet clean cloths, always using clean cloths and changing the rinse water 6 or 7 times, to make sure the paint was not damaged. The bugs are now gone so a decent cleaning can be done soon, before the application of the Chemical Guys HydroSlick product

Check out all the bugs...yikes lol =/

bugs.jpeg

Reactions: Intrepid

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yup; exactly what I do and the bugs and whatever else comes right off.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
And the Peroxide wins!! Months ago member NYMike mentioned Hydrogen Peroxide was/is good at removing bug splatter from his bikes, so figured I'd give it a go. I've used it a couple of times on the front surfaces of my Vintage in the past couple of weeks. I liberally wet one half of a terry cloth wash cloth with it, then run it over the bugs on all the front surfaces of the bike. Then I go back to my starting point and with little to no effort the splatter wipes right off. Quick and easy.

Just thought I'd throw that out here, for those who haven't tried it....

Thanks NY Mike (y)
Hey Willy, after you pre-soak, do you use the other side of that same towel or another, clean and dry towel? Or is the second towel wet? Since HyPer leans to the acid side of the spectrum, do you follow the bug removal with anything that removes that?

I'm asking because new cleaning ideas are interesting to me and I want to try this at some point. Normally I'll do the warm water soaked washcloth method on trips followed by a wipe of lemon Pledge. However, we always carry peroxide with us so if I can eliminate some clutter in our packing and still get the evening bug cleaning accomplished, the proverbial "win-win".

·
Bronze member
3,215 Posts
Savanna Illinois,biker town,has runs a lot,poopies bar outside of town,any how the motel up the hill has towels outside of every room with a sign that says,please do not use room towels for your bike,.
They probably have run into you towel guys.lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts