Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the point when the temperature dives to 10 degrees, motorcycling can go from "Get your engine running" to "Sux2BU" really snappy. Motorbikes and ice don't blend well, except if you have uncommon spikes in your tires."

Even if you are wearing proper gear like kevlar motorcycle shirts or kevlar motorcycle jeans, riding a bike in the winter can be tricky.

·
Bronze member
2,520 Posts
yup.... but that guy from Sweden is riding his Honda XL650 to some town in Siberia this Jan.... video on here somewhere about it...

·
Registered
929 Posts
How?
Carefully.

Had many a winter's ride up north. Some sketchy rides in snow -- no pictures because it required all my concentration.

Layers. Block wind. Heated grips.

When you come back -- mixture of white vinegar and dish soap in hot water sprayed with pump sprayer, scrub with brush and rinse with warm water.

Also -- I ride with an All-Season radial car tire on back.

·
Registered
322 Posts
For me Winter season or low temperature (down to 0 degrees Celsius) is not the STOP-sign for using my RM. I keep on riding my bike, except when there is salt or ice or snow on the roads. For the last years we were lucky , with very mild Winters in Belgium (Northwest) with only a few days we couldn't ride. Tomorrow it will be 16 degrees Celsius in Belgium and that means it will be warmer here opposite the South of France = 1000 - 1200 km more South of us !!! Climate changing is clearly noticeable here. When I was young I remember Winters with temperatures Minus 10 - 15 degrees Celsius, but that is more than 40 years ago. Hope there will be a mild Winter for you this year, so you can keep on riding without fear (Sine Metu) my friend.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How?
Carefully.
View attachment 569364 View attachment 569365

Had many a winter's ride up north. Some sketchy rides in snow -- no pictures because it required all my concentration.

Layers. Block wind. Heated grips.

When you come back -- mixture of white vinegar and dish soap in hot water sprayed with pump sprayer, scrub with brush and rinse with warm water.

Also -- I ride with an All-Season radial car tire on back.
i love your bike it's an amazing snow, but you must be wear motorcycle safety gear, can i recommended you is you like?

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me Winter season or low temperature (down to 0 degrees Celsius) is not the STOP-sign for using my RM. I keep on riding my bike, except when there is salt or ice or snow on the roads. For the last years we were lucky , with very mild Winters in Belgium (Northwest) with only a few days we couldn't ride. Tomorrow it will be 16 degrees Celsius in Belgium and that means it will be warmer here opposite the South of France = 1000 - 1200 km more South of us !!! Climate changing is clearly noticeable here. When I was young I remember Winters with temperatures Minus 10 - 15 degrees Celsius, but that is more than 40 years ago. Hope there will be a mild Winter for you this year, so you can keep on riding without fear (Sine Metu) my friend.
yes you are right, I think you are a perfect motorcycle rider and you know well about what safety gear need when you riding on all season

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,689 Posts
I ride all year, unless there's ice. Especially now with the roadmaster, first bike I've had with heated seats and grips. Good warm gear definitely helps though.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ride all year, unless there's ice. Especially now with the roadmaster, first bike I've had with heated seats and grips. Good warm gear definitely helps though.
that's good so it's means you have all motorcycle safety gear like gloves, jackets, jeans, shirts,helmets?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went to "Biker Christmas" at Capones, a local watering hole around here, this past Friday.

Felt kinda out of place, seeing as how my son and I were the only ones who rode their bikes up there. The roads were clean and clear. It was just cold.

Cold weather riding is the bomb, and I feel like my air cooled engine just drinks in the cold.

I had planned on storing my bike at the dealership this year and had prepaid in fact. Two Saturdays ago I stopped by and told them I wasn't bringing it in. I plan on riding all winter. There will be nice days here and there.

If the streets are clean, and there isn't a whole lot of salt on the roads....and you've never tried a cold weather ride, gear up and give it a whirl. You won't regret it.

·
Silver member
3,142 Posts
I have no desire to freeze my ass off. But if temps hit the mid to high 40s and the roads are dry or at least salt free, I'll ride. Other than that I ride my truck with heated seats LOL.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
When I lived in Arkansas I rode all year. Unless there was ice or deep snow. Rode when it was as cold as 6 degrees F. Wear the right clothes and all is good. A snowmobile suit works wonders. Some nice Thermalite glove liners and a balaclava under the helmet add to the comfort. Now I live in south Texas where the locals wear parkas when it gets down to 50 degrees. I don't know where my glove liners and balaclava are.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have no desire to freeze my ass off. But if temps hit the mid to high 40s and the roads are dry or at least salt free, I'll ride. Other than that I ride my truck with heated seats LOL.
There's the rub my friend. I'm not freezing my ass off. I'm not even marginally uncomfortable. A few layers, thermals under the jeans, and heated gloves and I'm just as comfortable as I am on a warm July day. I talked my wife into going out with me, and now she's the one suggesting we go for rides. Nice to have her along as well....she's good for about 10k BTUs of heat. :)

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no desire to freeze my ass off. But if temps hit the mid to high 40s and the roads are dry or at least salt-free, I'll ride. Other than that I ride my truck with heated seats LOL.
I have found motorcycle safety gear Brand where you can buy safety gear

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Gerbing heated (everything) is good for comfort levels, ice and or salt on the roads is a no-go for me. IMO Damaging bike or self just does not seem worth the risks involved.

·
Rider
573 Posts
Its doable but not a whole bundle of fun you gotta get into the this is gonna suck just deal with it mindest. I rode from Stillwater to Tulsa (68 miles) in 10 degree weather. It was pure D misery but it was done. I would never do it again. A mile to ten ok, that far no way.

·
Silver member
3,142 Posts
Gerbing heated (everything) is good for comfort levels, ice and or salt on the roads is a no-go for me. IMO Damaging bike or self just does not seem worth the risks involved.
You are a wise man. Some of us are hard learners though....

Many moons ago while on US Rte. 81 (main highway going N/S in NY State) I got on some black ice and didn't realize it. Slight dip in the highway and I gave my '74 Super Glide a little gas to keep speed steady, and the ass end of the bike went to the left and down we went, happened in an instant. Seemed like the wife and I, and the bike, slid forever. There was a big ol' Peterbilt behind us, and I could see his front bumper go down/up as he applied his brakes. Bike was sliding in front of us on its right side. This was about 2:30 AM and there was a halo of sparks around the bike. Thought it was going to blow. We stopped sliding and luckily the truck stopped with room to spare. The Almighty was very good to us, we were shook but neither the wife or I was seriously hurt. I trotted down to the bike and got it up on the kick stand and the trucker helped me pull the right side of the handle bar back down enough to operate the bike. He pulled a steel bar out of his rig and we pried the brake lever away from the engine nose cone. I convinced/coerced the wife to get back on promising we'd get off at the next exit, and we did. Trucker was cool, he followed us to the exit, just in case. We took secondary roads for the last 20 or so miles to our destination, and there was still quite the party going on (o: That was the end of going two wheels at 32 degrees or below for both the wife and me. Lesson learned.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts