Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
I鈥檝e ridden it about 1/2 dz times in the last 30 yrs. But never had the desire to go racing thru it. It鈥檚 beautiful riding at just an average speed rolling thru there. Yeah ya scrape up occasionally on a bagger but it鈥檚 nice scenic riding. Never could understand the whole 鈥渙h man you ride the Dragon 鈥 thing. Lol there鈥檚 way more scenic and twisty canyons out there. LoLo canyon in Idaho is 99 miles of twistys now that鈥檚 a run. Dam thing is dam near a job give that a run if your out that way. I always thought well it must be THE ROAD in the south.

Registered
Done 'em both. Both are fun, but if I had a choice I'd choose Lolo every time. Most of it runs along a river for added beauty. For more fun, once you hit Missoula, head south on 93 to Salmon.

Registered
I would have labeled this 鈥淗ow not to ride the Dragon 鈥, as a former racer and riding for 50
Years if you want to ride like this take it to the track. Don鈥檛 endanger your self and most important the other riders and drivers.
But definitely a nice ride. Done it a thousand times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronze member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I鈥檝e ridden it about 1/2 dz times in the last 30 yrs. But never had the desire to go racing thru it. It鈥檚 beautiful riding at just an average speed rolling thru there. Yeah ya scrape up occasionally on a bagger but it鈥檚 nice scenic riding. Never could understand the whole 鈥渙h man you ride the Dragon 鈥 thing. Lol there鈥檚 way more scenic and twisty canyons out there. LoLo canyon in Idaho is 99 miles of twistys now that鈥檚 a run. Dam thing is dam near a job give that a run if your out that way. I always thought well it must be THE ROAD in the south.

Agreed. Devils Hwy out in AZ makes the dragon look like the Gieco Chameleon

Registered
Ride the dragon at night, it's a lot more exciting. I've ridden it many times but the best by far was at night.

Founding member / Distinguished
Agreed. Devils Hwy out in AZ makes the dragon look like the Gieco Chameleon
I agree. The Devils Hwy is about 80 miles of the Dragon with great scenery. But videos of what was shown above is the biggest reason I don't do the Dragon much anymore. Too many people with something to prove. Cars and bikes. The Tree of Shame is full of fairing from crotch rockets that lost it on that road. Not only dangerous but it puts others at risk also. You got something to prove do it on a closed course track. Dean

Read Only
I live in the area so access to 129 is about 30 minutes away. I haven't ridden it in 15 years because of folks similar to the one(s) in that video. I want to enjoy it, not watch over my shoulder or around the oncoming corner for folks like him. Hey, that's my opinion for me. If'n ya wanna ride it like that or be passed by/endangered by riders like that, go for it.

Bronze member
Don鈥檛 think I鈥檒l ever ride the dragon again. Too many azzhats thinking they are Mario Andretti. Almost got taken out by a sports car that was sliding sideways around a corner halfway into oncoming traffic. Was there last year and parked while Jr. did his thing.

Reactions: Lost Hillbilly

Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
Dean, I live in the Blue Ridge and seldom ride on the weekend because of idiots like that. Evolution in action. I got passed by two HD's last weekend on a double line going up hill with less than a 1/4 mile visibility. They didn't care if their life ended nor my wife's and mine did. If I do ride I try to get to some places I know to go that are more low key and one may encounter a tractor or trout fisherman on the road. Unfortunately getting there involves mingling with the unwashed masses at times.

Bronze member
The Tree of Shame is full of fairing from crotch rockets that lost it on that road. Not only dangerous but it puts others at risk also. You got something to prove do it on a closed course track. Dean
Yep

1FB4383F-5F64-460A-A8E7-D4BE631BC788.jpeg

Founding member / Distinguished
I live in the area so access to 129 is about 30 minutes away. I haven't ridden it in 15 years because of folks similar to the one(s) in that video. I want to enjoy it, not watch over my shoulder or around the oncoming corner for folks like him. Hey, that's my opinion for me. If'n ya wanna ride it like that or be passed by/endangered by riders like that, go for it.
To me if you really want a great ride with not near as much traffic or idiots with something to prove then ride the Cherohala Skyway. One beautiful scenic and curvy road that is in great condition. Still one of my all time favorites. Dean

Registered
He has probably never run into deer or other critters on the road. I have had a deer decide at the last minute to jump into my lane on the interstate, and I hit him with my truck. Even hitting a raccoon can upset the balance when your near the edge on a cycle. Sliding into another lane endangers others. As a pilot, we always plan for a way out or an alternate decision. There are times in this video that everything had to go exactly as planned or........? Your life or death choices should never endanger others.

Registered
I agree. The Devils Hwy is about 80 miles of the Dragon with great scenery. But videos of what was shown above is the biggest reason I don't do the Dragon much anymore. Too many people with something to prove. Cars and bikes. The Tree of Shame is full of fairing from crotch rockets that lost it on that road. Not only dangerous but it puts others at risk also. You got something to prove do it on a closed course track. Dean
You are so right a great ride years back before it became lol THE DRAGON ! I鈥檓 done with it but if you do ride do it during the week is my advice

Registered
Future organ donor ....

Read Only
To me if you really want a great ride with not near as much traffic or idiots with something to prove then ride the Cherohala Skyway. One beautiful scenic and curvy road that is in great condition. Still one of my all time favorites. Dean
The Cherohala is a nice ride now that the other side to Robbinsville has been repaved although that section where the skyway ends is still a very narrow road. We really do have some nice roads all around our East TN/West NC/North GA area.

Premium Member
Japan has some absolutely beautiful and challenging roads if y'all ever get the chance to ride out that way.

I was stationed in Iwakuni where the joke is, you'll become an alcoholic, bible thumper or barracks rat because there's nothing to do. Whoever started that saying never had a car or motorcycle to get them off base. That's all my friends and I did for the entire time I was there. Met a lot of great people who became great friends because of motorsports. Digital cameras were just becoming a thing in the early 00's so no video other than my memories.

I was younger and thought I was bullet proof back then and did some things I don't know how I survived from. I once got pulled over doing 120kph in a 40kph zone. (75 in a 25mph) and was let go with a verbal warning after the officer complemented me on how great my Valentino Rossi helmet looked along with my Ducati. Very cool helmeto! Very cool Ducati nigh! No 120! Only 40! Good day...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts