Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got to Germany and my 2018 Roadmaster will be here shortly. It has cams and stage 1 exhaust and I dont believe I will pass the 95db inspection requirement. Anyone have any luck finding a quieter baffle insert tip or any other trick to pass inspection? Yes, quite sounds wrong but I will go right back to the original set up once passed. And putting the stock pipes on is not an option, they went to storage, @#$%! The sound is not that loud, just estimated (google research) to be about 102db at the tip. All measurements for the db test are taken at various locations .5 meters from the tip but the measurement directly behind the bike is the one that worries me. Any help is appreciated, need to rep Indian in Germany!

·
Rider
1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Maybe you could find time to give an introduction rather than a conundrum first post?

How easy can you get the baffles out and how much room do you have? You could potentially wrap or pack the baffles out only for the purpose of the test perhaps?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird, was really looking to join a place where I could ask questions, get them answered and return the favor by answering others. Didn't realize I needed to add exelceptional details. Figured the hey just got to Germany and I ride would have been a connection w the community.

I'll look somewhere else.

·
Rider
1,296 Posts
I answered your question regardless. Common courtesy is the key here! Many people just register to find the solution to a problem, have nothing to contribute and disappear until the next problem. You were lucky to get an answer instead of just a simple welcome. Take it with you and good luck with the test.

Reactions: Ozzygeno

·
Banned
575 Posts
Just got to Germany and my 2018 Roadmaster will be here shortly. It has cams and stage 1 exhaust and I dont believe I will pass the 95db inspection requirement. Anyone have any luck finding a quieter baffle insert tip or any other trick to pass inspection? Yes, quite sounds wrong but I will go right back to the original set up once passed. And putting the stock pipes on is not an option, they went to storage, @#$%! The sound is not that loud, just estimated (google research) to be about 102db at the tip. All measurements for the db test are taken at various locations .5 meters from the tip but the measurement directly behind the bike is the one that worries me. Any help is appreciated, need to rep Indian in Germany!
Slip the test tech twenty ,Good luck.Previous response uncalled for.

·
Bronze member
2,246 Posts
In Germany it is not just the loudness of the mufflers. They need a EU homologation.

A so called E mark must be visible on the mufflers... same applies to the lights (and the air box btw...).

Here the right stage I mufflers:

Oops, since your bike is 2018 ... you need EU4 homologation, oops (EU3 is not enough). So here the EU4 system of choice:
Chrome:

Black:

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,296 Posts
Jekill and Hyde may be another option then? Conveniently they are a German company too if the existing zorsts don't meet legislation markings? Alternatively it will fail and he'll have to explore other avenues at his leisure, which will undoubtedly be costly. The TUV rules in Germany are some of the strictest you'll find.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I hope that you don't have to change a bunch of parts like the lights etc... does the US / Canada model also pass the Euro standards? Or can you keep the bike registered in the US for the duration of your stay?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Weird, was really looking to join a place where I could ask questions, get them answered and return the favor by answering others. Didn't realize I needed to add exelceptional details. Figured the hey just got to Germany and I ride would have been a connection w the community.

I'll look somewhere else.
Every forum has its jerks. Stick around and you'll like it here.

·
Rider
979 Posts
Having been stationed in Germany from 2007-2010 I can tell you that I put my bike in storage for many reasons due to what was required for compliance and also the lack of garages/storage options in military housing(big barracks type buildings with open parking lots). Did it suck not riding for 3 years. Yes. It would have sucked more having the bike sit there in an open parking lot for 3 years because it couldn't pass their ridiculous regulations.

Good luck! I don't know if you are military being stationed there or not. They were downsizing when I left. Turning over more and more US built bases over to the Germans so I would imagine now that storage options are worse now.

Were there military people that rode? Yes. Very few. I knew of two that rode on a base of thousands of people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope that you don't have to change a bunch of parts like the lights etc... does the US / Canada model also pass the Euro standards? Or can you keep the bike registered in the US for the duration of your stay?
Bonus is I get to keep US standards so just the decibel test is my worry. I ordered a set of stock pipes from Ebay for dirt cheap, hoping even w cams it will still be low enough.
Having been stationed in Germany from 2007-2010 I can tell you that I put my bike in storage for many reasons due to what was required for compliance and also the lack of garages/storage options in military housing(big barracks type buildings with open parking lots). Did it suck not riding for 3 years. Yes. It would have sucked more having the bike sit there in an open parking lot for 3 years because it couldn't pass their ridiculous regulations.

Good luck! I don't know if you are military being stationed there or not. They were downsizing when I left. Turning over more and more US built bases over to the Germans so I would imagine now that storage options are worse now.

Were there military people that rode? Yes. Very few. I knew of two that rode on a base of thousands of people.
Military so that helps. And I have a house and a garage. Hope I can get it to pass then riding will be my freedo

·
Rider
979 Posts
Bonus is I get to keep US standards so just the decibel test is my worry. I ordered a set of stock pipes from Ebay for dirt cheap, hoping even w cams it will still be low enough.

Military so that helps. And I have a house and a garage. Hope I can get it to pass then riding will be my freedo
Great! Good Luck! You are going to love Germany. You must be going to Graf. I was stationed in Manheim. Be Safe! Autobahn is no joke. If someone behind you flashes their lights, get the hell out of their way!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts