Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Looookking Gooood !!
What grit sand paper did you use?
Was that a small screw driver you used to scrape fine detail?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looookking Gooood !!
What grit sand paper did you use?
Was that a small screw driver you used to scrape fine detail?
I started with 80 grit glued to the wood. Then finished with 150. Just enough to get the paint off and reduce any scratches. The paint does a great job of covering.

I was actually using a small file with a pointed tip. You could use a needle or small finish nail...etc. I went back after and touched up with flat black and a tiny brush.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yikes! That looks awesome. Great job!
I haven't noticed... does the Scout have one too?
Thanks!
...MDHawk

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,740 Posts
Really cool, both of them. As I was watching Dave's video, I was thinking, "How would it look in the bike main color?" The gold matches the tank emblem great and chrome is always good.
What do y'all think about using blue or red? (Using tank color makes it real easy for the guys who bought black bikes...)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like a project for this winter. How long did it take?
Making the video took 4 times longer than sanding and painting. LOL It only took about 1/2 hour. I tried painting the other side without sanding and it came out nice too. It definitely "pops" a little more when you sand first. Also, if you use a different color, it might not cover the black well at all. You can always try it and if it doesn't look great, then sand it. Not really anymore work. Some have done this and just left the bare metal. That looks good too. I showed the sanding on the video for the guys that might want to keep that look.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What kind of paint ddid you all use? I have a Black vintage, would like to do it in as close to a chrome look as possible, any ideas on chrome paint?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What kind of paint ddid you all use? I have a Black vintage, would like to do it in as close to a chrome look as possible, any ideas on chrome paint?
I have not tried it but the same paint brand I used comes in chrome as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 65 Posts