Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

How to find your PIN

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  jayred1 
#1 ·
In all the chaos of a busy Saturday at the dealer, my sales guy forgot to go through the PIN info w me and it usually takes a day or two to get them to return my calls. Anyone know how to find out what your pin # is? Does it say somewhere?

#2 ·
When I bought my new RM the dealer did not provide the PIN and it was not written in the owners manual as it was in a previous Indian I bought. So I called the dealer and they told me I had to bring the bike in to plug it in to get the PIN. If you have checked your owners manual and it is not hand-written in it, my guess is you will need the dealer to provide it to you.

#4 ·
I had to go in and supply them with a PIN, then they programmed it in for me. Then I found out there is a MASTER PIN for the bike I think it might be for all bike? (Not sure) Incase We F’d up the other PIN...

#7 ·
The sticker is put on by some dealers (not the factory). Most bikes do not have this sticker.

The Master PIN (randomly assigned at the factory and hardcoded into the VCM) can't be changed or erased. The dealer should provide that to the owner and document it in the owners manual (there is a page for it) and/or written on the 'New Owner Walk-through Checklist' form provided when you pick up the bike.

The Rider PIN is chosen by the owner and manually entered via the turn-signal switch. The dealer should assist in showing how this is done during the walk-through. This PIN can be changed and it is possible for it to be erased when the firmware is updated in the VCM.

If the dealer failed to document the Master/Rider PINs, the only way to get them is to have the dealer hook the bike up to the DigitalWrench computer in the shop.

#9 ·
The gear sensor recall and reflash got rid of my rider PIN and when I went looking for the master PIN in my book or sales papers it wasn't there. I asked the dealer for it and they said Indian told them not to give out master PINs any more as somebody could sell a bike then go back later and steal it. That might be an Australia only requirement.

They had to connect to the bike and find the master PIN and then programmed in the rider PIN I gave them.

As Flashman says, try the simple things. My original rider PIN was 1.1.1.1. They said they put in the easiest thing possible and told me to change it to my own choice. I'd try combinations of 1 and 2 but probably not bother going further as possibilities increase very fast after that.

#10 ·
I know this thread is at least 11 months old … but … I’m new and may have an answer. I recently purchased a 2014 Chief Vintage. In the 2014 Owners Manual, page 115, Maintenance, Changing Your Security Pin… As long as you have a working Key FOB you can reset the current Pin without knowing the Current or Master Pin. If you don’t have an owners manual you can find them online or through the Ride Command App.

#12 ·
The Master PIN is hardcoded in the bike and never changes. When you say you changed yours, all you did was add a Personal (also called Rider) PIN. The Master PIN was still there and active. When a dealer performs a firmware update, it will delete/erase the Personal PIN. Some techs will take the extra step to note the Personal PIN and reload it after the firmware update but it is a step that most fail to do. That's why it is important to know your Master PIN.

I know this thread is at least 11 months old … but … I’m new and may have an answer. I recently purchased a 2014 Chief Vintage. In the 2014 Owners Manual, page 115, Maintenance, Changing Your Security Pin… As long as you have a working Key FOB you can reset the current Pin without knowing the Current or Master Pin. If you don’t have an owners manual you can find them online or through the Ride Command App.
The owners manual says that the Personal PIN can be set by using the fob; however, this is an error in the manual. You must know either the Master PIN or the Rider PIN to change the Rider PIN.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.