Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I read some reviews where riders complained that the Classic might be to cramped. I am 6'7 and now I am worried the bike won't work for me. I already have highway bars on order. And yes, I buy sight unseen, thus hopefully having #998 Red Chief Classic in my garage next week.
Just wanted to know how tall the current Indian riders are and if you had the same experience.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I find my Judge to be plenty roomy. But I am 5'-2'.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you sat on a Street Glide? The Chief's 'roominess' is more than the Harley, less than a Victory.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4902 said:
Have you sat on a Street Glide? The Chief's 'roominess' is more than the Harley, less than a Victory.
no, never been on a Harley and probably never will. But I have a Vision and love it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 6'3' and you'll feel cramped on the bike but only in comparison to the Vision/Cross bikes.

We're spoiled by the design of these Victory models but you won't hate the Indian, it's just a different experience and a lot of fun to ride.
They perform excellent for a stock bike up to the low 4000 RPM's where they tend to drop off a lot. Hopefully some aftermarket tweaking will assist that.
Great bikes and I think you'll be pleased

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The question is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What were you riding before? It wasn't more spread out than a Victory. It probably didn't bother you then.
I've seen guys 6'8' on Goldwings without modifications. I couldn't do it, but they can. I've read of guys here that are 5'9' complaining they are too cramped on XCT. Really? Perhaps just an excuse to try something else, perhaps,,,,,,,well I don't know.
Stop worrying about being cramped and think about a more natural position on the bike. The vision, and more so the XCT seem to seat the rider a bit far toward the rear than they probably should be, out of the natural center of the bike. Yes and inch or two can make a lot of difference.
At 6'7' you may be a hard fit for anything. Motorcycles are made seemingly for someone 5'10'. That is supposed to be 'average'. Good luck and enjoy the bike.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10550 said:
The question is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What were you riding before? It wasn't more spread out than a Victory. It probably didn't bother you then.
I've seen guys 6'8' on Goldwings without modifications. I couldn't do it, but they can. I've read of guys here that are 5'9' complaining they are too cramped on XCT. Really? Perhaps just an excuse to try something else, perhaps,,,,,,,well I don't know.
Stop worrying about being cramped and think about a more natural position on the bike. The vision, and more so the XCT seem to seat the rider a bit far toward the rear than they probably should be, out of the natural center of the bike. Yes and inch or two can make a lot of difference.
At 6'7' you may be a hard fit for anything. Motorcycles are made seemingly for someone 5'10'. That is supposed to be 'average'. Good luck and enjoy the bike.
I will find out this afternoon. My baby is ready to come home.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm 5'11' and my Chief Classic fits like a glove. I'm still getting used to the weight of this bike, but it's nothing that is unmangible. I reckon with your larger frame, this might be a little cramped unless you make a few mods.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm 6'5' and 250lbs. The Vintage, same as the classic, ergos are a bit snug in comparison to the Cross, but with the rider backrest and highway pegs I expect it to be much more comfortable. I've often said that the Cross is the first bike I've owned, and I have and do own many, that really fit me. Its my opinion that the ergos on the Chief are slightly better than the HD touring models for the tall rider. I just rode my Vintage 1800 miles home without a backrest or highway pegs, thought it was going to be rough, it wasn't bad at all. I would also expect that some mods will be available in the future that will help as well.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

6'4'' with a 36'' inseam. Note that my foot is quite a bit forward. Don't listen to 5'10'' people saying it will be cramped for us. I am happy. What the hell do they know about being tall?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At 5'8', I don't claim to know the first thing about being tall. However, I did stumble upon this article and thought it was relevant to this conversation...

<a title='Top 10 for Tall' href='http://www.motorcycle.com/top10/top-10-best-cruisers-for-tall-people.html/8'>Motorcycle.com's Top 10 Motorcycles for Tall People</a>

They have the Classic listed at #4, but take it for what it's worth though. The Judge is listed at #9 and the XC is not even mentioned. I'm going to have to assume this is because the article is about cruisers, not baggers.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So how did it work out, Bavarian. I'm 6'7' too, with a 38' inleg, and sitting on Vintage or Classic, immediately followed by a Cross Country felt pretty much the same to me. They are about the best touring cruisers around for long legs. I've got no chance on the Chieftain, especially with the positioning of the bars, and Harleys are a lost cause........

and then there's the Vision....the best of the lot, especially if you add a stubby highway peg alongside the front of the footboard...:) :)

Pete

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm 5'10' and feel like the Chieftain was made for me. My XCT was the almost the same, except the handlebars seemed about an inch or two farther away. Still, I was comfortable and sat flat-footed.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2014 Chief Classic, 6'4'.... i raised the handlebars up a little bit to be almost level with my shoulders which made it just right....

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
18953 said:
Ok, I read some reviews where riders complained that the Classic might be to cramped. I am 6'7 and now I am worried the bike won't work for me. I already have highway bars on order. And yes, I buy sight unseen, thus hopefully having #998 Red Chief Classic in my garage next week.
Just wanted to know how tall the current Indian riders are and if you had the same experience.
'
really you go by what others say? Be a man and pull up your big boy pants and go by what you feel and like. Me 6'8' and do as I like

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm 5'6' 140 pounds and started getting a bit nervous waiting for a bike I've never even seen in person after I ordered it. What a dream this thing is though, it's perfect, exactley what I wanted in my next bike. I couldn't imagine a more comfortable bike existing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts