Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, had bike at dealer for red glowing exhaust pipes, says he talked to Polaris and is normal, checked system and found nothing wrong. To me engine does not seem as smooth as before problem, have a K&N air filter and a Dobeck unit on way for her. I picked up bike yesterday and did not give her a good shake down, today took her out(got up too late to check if pipes still glowing) and about 90 to100 she wants to shake a bit in front end where the bars are shaking and the fuel tank is doing the same, my Scout ran smoother at 115 then this one does, it's like got vibes from motor, I know this might be in my head, but NOT the bars, front, and tank jumping around, might be tire balance or not, will give another go after I install the Dobeck. So how smooth does your's run?

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,694 Posts
So, had bike at dealer for red glowing exhaust pipes, says he talked to Polaris and is normal, checked system and found nothing wrong. To me engine does not seem as smooth as before problem, have a K&N air filter and a Dobeck unit on way for her. I picked up bike yesterday and did not give her a good shake down, today took her out(got up too late to check if pipes still glowing) and about 90 to100 she wants to shake a bit in front end where the bars are shaking and the fuel tank is doing the same, my Scout ran smoother at 115 then this one does, it's like got vibes from motor, I know this might be in my head, but NOT the bars, front, and tank jumping around, might be tire balance or not, will give another go after I install the Dobeck. So how smooth does your's run?
That sounds like you front tire is out of balance to me. Have the dealer check it for you.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks all, will have to wait til Tuesday when they open again and make another appointment to have balance checked, mean while I reckon I'll keep it down some.

·
Registered
114 Posts
New Springfield. 500 miles. Smooth as silk all the way to the century mark. No clacks, rattles or shakes. Just a subtle sewing machine sound from the engine. I hope the dealer makes it right for you.

·
Founding Member
434 Posts
My engine is smooth as can be. As a matter of fact when we ride with our HD friends just to make them feel comfortable when we come up to a stop sign the wife and I bounce up and down on the saddle so they don't feel out of place. For some reason our efforts to make them feel at ease around our Indian isn't appreciated.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine is a clacker and has a fair amount of valve tapping, but at 80 mph you can put your hand on the motor and it's smooth as silk.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree with the poster above, if your pipes are getting red hot and your dealer is saying it's normal find another dealer. At the same time i I would also contact that dealer that stated that to you and request they send the response in an email (if they send it, forward to Indian). Anytime I feel or know someone is blowing smoke up my arse I request they put the statement in a form that records it, you'll be amazed how many times people change their tune after that.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, was the tire balance, took to dealer and tech checked front tire and said everything looks good, asked him why no weights and said these new tires check out spot on with balance, then told him, then why does the rear one have weights on it, he asked if I would like to have the front checked, told him yep, says cost $40, told him to do it, outcome, needed 2 oz of weight, runs smooth now, service manager says no charge. On another note, Phast12, I talked to a Brian in Indian resolution and he said they have a case number on my pipes, but also says it's a norm (BS), also told me a K&N air filter would void my warranty, plus putting a Dobeck on would do the same. Going for it anyway, they are no help, Polaris and Indian, I mean.

·
Registered
106 Posts
On the floating issue, IMO the Klock Werks windshield helps push the bike down like a spoiler. And with the up/down function, it actually gives you some aerodynamic control of the downforce. Not sure what kind of setup you have.

·
Registered
106 Posts
On the floating issue, IMO the Klock Werks windshield helps push the bike down like a spoiler. And with the up/down function, it actually gives you some aerodynamic control of the downforce. Not sure what kind of setup you have.
But it sounds like your issue is something different. That sucks. Mine runs pretty smooth for the most part. Below 1500 RPMs it gets jumpy and I have to use more clutch control. At higher speeds, it feels planted, but it seems like the steep rake of 25° makes me have to reinforce the line I take through turns, it doesn't just flow right through. But I think that may be due to it being light for what it is. It's like a strong fat guy that can do ballet lol

If it's tire balance, you could try the Centramatics. I can't yet comment if they work, but I just got my set, looking for a cheap install.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts