Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What age were you when you decided to buy your RM?

• 18-24

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25-34

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 35-44

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • 45-54

Votes: 60 27.5%
  • 55+

Votes: 136 62.4%
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting tons of compliments since I traded my 2012 Yamaha Silverado S for my first RM back in 2016.

Even more compliments on my new 2017 RM that I got back in March of 2017. Out of all the compliments I receive on both the bike and colors(all good), it never seems to amaze me that people think that I am too young for the bike I am riding. There are times that I come out of Home Depot, or some other shop to have someone oogling the bike, and then make some comment when they see me like "Wow, didn't think someone like you would be riding this, that's a grandpas bike" or something to that nature.

I am guessing most of you RM owners are over 50, so that makes more sense that you would be grandfathers, but geez; does the styling just make it look like an old person should be riding it? I love Buick's and those are "old man" cars too..I am the youngest member of my MC, and even my brothers comment that I am kinda young for a machine like that, and then would tell me what they were riding 30 years ago when they were my age. I think i prefer the luxury and comfort that is there now on my RM, whether its for older people or not. Experienced men know luxury and comfort because they spent their lives riding bikes that were not as big or grandpa'ish and did not offer the creature comforts that we have today. I ride 365, and this bike allows me to do so with confidence.

I usually have really witty responses to those people who ask and make stupid comments about my age and owning the bike. I'm 35. How old are you? I'm only curious after all the comments I have been getting from people who either see the bike before me, or vice versa and have something to say about it after all the compliments are over.

I also wear a full face white Shoei RF-1200 which throws them off even more. "wheres your crotch rocket?" they always ask.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Been getting tons of compliments since I traded my 2012 Yamaha Silverado S for my first RM back in 2016.

Even more compliments on my new 2017 RM that I got back in March of 2017. Out of all the compliments I receive on both the bike and colors(all good), it never seems to amaze me that people think that I am too young for the bike I am riding. There are times that I come out of Home Depot, or some other shop to have someone oogling the bike, and then make some comment when they see me like "Wow, didn't think someone like you would be riding this, that's a grandpas bike" or something to that nature.

I am guessing most of you RM owners are over 50, so that makes more sense that you would be grandfathers, but geez; does the styling just make it look like an old person should be riding it? I love Buick's and those are "old man" cars too..I am the youngest member of my MC, and even my brothers comment that I am kinda young for a machine like that, and then would tell me what they were riding 30 years ago when they were my age. I think i prefer the luxury and comfort that is there now on my RM, whether its for older people or not. Experienced men know luxury and comfort because they spent their lives riding bikes that were not as big or grandpa'ish and did not offer the creature comforts that we have today. I ride 365, and this bike allows me to do so with confidence.

I usually have really witty responses to those people who ask and make stupid comments about my age and owning the bike. I'm 35. How old are you? I'm only curious after all the comments I have been getting from people who either see the bike before me, or vice versa and have something to say about it after all the compliments are over.

I also wear a full face white Shoei RF-1200 which throws them off even more. "wheres your crotch rocket?" they always ask.

Keep on riding what you like and don't waste any time worrying about ignorant comments from other people. I'm 39 and I ride a "too small", "girls bike" otherwise known as a scout bobber. I love it and I could care less what others think about my choice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,210 Posts
Class does not have an age, I’m 45 and have wanted an Indian since my grandpa had one when I was a tot.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Dirt is my little brother.

Reactions: streak

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,072 Posts
I am 70 and I fill like I am 35 again when I am on my RM. Most people think you have to have your family raised and all your bills paid off before you can afford one. By the way nice looking bike.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Guess I'm one of the 63 year old grandfather of 6 that they are talking about. Your RM suits you, age is only a number. My other bike is a V2K so maybe they would say that I'm too old for that but I'm not

·
Registered
930 Posts
I find it interesting that people consider a bike that weighs over 450kgs to be a grandpa's bike, what do they consider a young persons bike I wonder?
Do you think it's the size, comfort or the mod cons that makes them think that?
I am 59 and I have said to my partner that when this gets too heavy for me to handle I will trade in for something smaller and more manageable. I would have thought that a bike in this weight category would have been more for your age bracket!!

Maybe it's because there is a perception that us older dudes have a tendency to spend more time touring than our younger brothers - although I am not so sure that this can be considered a true statement because I know lots that have smaller bikes than the RM and they still tour on them.
Maybe it's because when the kids are off your hands there is some additional "cash to splash"!

It's an interesting generalization like "if you have tattoos then you must be into drugs" - don't mean that it's true though :)

Enjoy your ride - they are awesome (I am on my second as well)
Enjoy the color - it is most unique.
Enjoy the comfort.
Enjoy the mod cons.
Enjoy being at the top of the food chain :) (I am biased though) :D

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

I agree with them, Trench. You are too young for that bike. Since I'm such a considerate guy, I would be willing to trade you, straight up, your RM for a late model Low Rider.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Ride what you love. Who cares about what anyone else thinks. I just bought my RM but it is too freaking cold to ride :( Can't wait for the weather to warm up.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually don't care what everyone else thinks because if I did, i would've change my bike. The comments don't jade me a bit, it just sparked my curiosity in what age group ROADMASTER owners are in. Believe me, if i owned a scout, I'm sure id have the same comments as you do.

The first question someone asked me when I rolled my Roadmaster out of the showroom floor into the streets of Staten Island for my ride home was

"Does that come in any guy colors bro?? " - I was caught so off guard by that comment I didnt even have a response- almost like telling me that's a girls bike because of the colors. My wife chose the color scheme, so it was a feminine choice anyway. The colors grew on me quickly, and made me like it so much more than my Blue Sapphire, but again like you guys said ride what you want.

Again, i'm just being nosy into age and this post has nothing to do with my feelings about the comments about my bike.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I hit 62 in December and ride a Roadmaster.

Reactions: Trench

·
Silver member
3,423 Posts
I’m 58. My young bike is the CDH. My old geezer bike is the RM. My coolest timeless bike is the Vintage and my I’m young enough to smoke your azz is the Rocket 3 Roadster.

It is odd how stereotypes are formed and cemented. The willow green and cream is a classic color of the mature sexually secure male. Those still on the fence about what appeals to them sexually can only ride certain “ official male” colors.:)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts