Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a fluid change about 1500 kms ago. Purchased the indian 111 kit including oil and filter.

Added oil as directed which I believe was 4.5 courts and add a little more until half way between add level and full on the dipstick. When I first checked it, it seemed correct.

Leaving on a road trip in the morning so I went for a ride around the block and checked the oil. The dipstick was way at the bottom of the , almost dry.

I had 3/4 of a quart left from the kit so i dumped the rest in. Went around the block again and checked again and it's only at the add line now!!!

This is all the oil that came with the kit and doesn't seem like its enough.

Am I going to be ok on this trip? Going to be riding about 2000 kms and am afraid the engine will cease up if there is not enough oil.

Any responses tonight would help as I'm leaving early morning. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Put in your 5.5 quarts and forget it. Somebody will go into detail I'm sure.

·
Bronze member
3,953 Posts
Just did a fluid change about 1500 kms ago. Purchased the indian 111 kit including oil and filter.

Added oil as directed which I believe was 4.5 courts and add a little more until half way between add level and full on the dipstick. When I first checked it, it seemed correct.

Leaving on a road trip in the morning so I went for a ride around the block and checked the oil. The dipstick was way at the bottom of the , almost dry.

I had 3/4 of a quart left from the kit so i dumped the rest in. Went around the block again and checked again and it's only at the add line now!!!

Am I going to be ok on this trip? Going to be riding about 2000 kms and am afraid the engine will cease up if there is not enough oil.

Like others said put 5.5 quarts in and be done. Look up checking oil in dry sump systems. 99% of first time owners severely overfill the oil because they don't know how the oil level works in a dry sump system.

One poster here a while back ended up draining 8 quarts out of his bike.

·
Rider
943 Posts
You did right by adding the 4.5 quarts in but then you needed to run the bike for 3 minutes at varying speeds. Then add the rest of the kit. As mentioned before in this thread use all the oil in the kit and walk away. As long as the bike does not leak or blow oil you are good to go. Search this site for checking the oil in a TS111 and you will find a plethora of information.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always changed my own oil in many motorcycles and many cars because I don't trust who may be doing it in the shop. But I also am having concerns about the correct oil amount required in my 2019 Chieftain. BTW I am an Aerospace Engineer and deal with close tolerances and high quality mechanical components. The manual states 5.5 quarts with a new filter. So first I put in 5.0 quarts warmed up the bike an idled for approx. 1 min. Waited a good 5 min. for oil to settle. Leveled the bike and checked the dip stick. OK... no reading. No problem. Added the other 1/2 quart and followed the same process. Well now I checked and measured about 1/3 the distance from tip to the add line. What the hey? I called the dealer and was told my 2019 Chieftain probably has the new larger crank case. So go ahead and add another 1/2 quart.. giving me a total of 6 quarts. Got to get the Indian spec (per VIN) to make sure this is accurate.
You would think Indian MC would get the word out to the address this confusion. I can't accept some who stated " oh just put in 5.5 quarts and don't worry about it.
More to follow if I get thru to the Indian Technical folks. Just a little disappointed right now.

·
Rider
943 Posts
You would think Indian MC would get the word out to the address this confusion. I can't accept some who stated " oh just put in 5.5 quarts and don't worry about it.
More to follow if I get thru to the Indian Technical folks. Just a little disappointed right now.
What you will get is "Put in the 5.5 quarts and don't worry about it." I was also told to not check my oil and if it's not leaking or blowing out the back to not worry about it if you put 5.5 quarts in that they are still there until you change it. I went round and round with the rep at Polaris, not a tech guy or his boss but the guy that can override the warranty and replace parts on your bike even after the warranty department said no. If your manual says 5.5 quarts that's what you do. If your manual says 6 that's what you do and don't bother checking the level as the dipstick is worthless. In fact, take a hacksaw and cut it off and use the top to just keep your oil from splashing out while riding. You would think that was sarcasm but its not..ok a little but not really.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've always changed my own oil in many motorcycles and many cars because I don't trust who may be doing it in the shop. But I also am having concerns about the correct oil amount required in my 2019 Chieftain. BTW I am an Aerospace Engineer and deal with close tolerances and high quality mechanical components. The manual states 5.5 quarts with a new filter. So first I put in 5.0 quarts warmed up the bike an idled for approx. 1 min. Waited a good 5 min. for oil to settle. Leveled the bike and checked the dip stick. OK... no reading. No problem. Added the other 1/2 quart and followed the same process. Well now I checked and measured about 1/3 the distance from tip to the add line. What the hey? I called the dealer and was told my 2019 Chieftain probably has the new larger crank case. So go ahead and add another 1/2 quart.. giving me a total of 6 quarts. Got to get the Indian spec (per VIN) to make sure this is accurate.
So it's not that easy, well sort of, well ok it is, or maybe.

Some, not all 2019, have the larger crankcase, so to speak. Mine is one of them as are 2020 and up from what I gather.
Look where the dipstick goes in the crankcase with the dipstick in, if you see shiny machined circle, you are a 5.5 crank case.
If it is all black around the dipstick, then you are 6.0.

I did an oil change and added 6, then it spit a LOT of oil into the air filter for the next few hundred miles, an indication that 6.0 is too much. Drained 1/2 quart out, stopped spitting oil.

There is an Indian document on the net that explains what to look for like I posted above, even easier, it has a date and if you bike was built after that, then you are a 6 qt crank case.
But beware, 6 qts will end up saturating your air filter and if its the stage one that is an oval paper type, it's a $50 air filter with zero after market options. I run 5.5 and forget about it, leaves maybe 1/8th inch on the dipstick, well below the add mark. Again, barley registers using Indian's procedure.

YMMV

·
Registered
44 Posts
Awesome so many people responded. I have a 111 2018 RM. Had the same worries the first oil change. Asked the same ? On this site got the same answers. I brought my bike to the dealer just to make sure they checked and said I was fine.
Have fun on your trip. Don't worry about the oil.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should have mentioned my bike idea 16 but from majority of the responses, that doesn't matter. I'm off and thank you all for the input and confidence!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
As for never checking it - I would keep half an eye on the level. When I did my trip to Shreveport and back (2,400 miles), I was burning a quart every 1000 miles! Curiously, now the 111 has 20K on it (and I've changed to something other than Indian oil) it no longer burns any. This could also start something... but I check the level cold. 5.5 qts at changes, then keep it there - wherever that is on your dipstick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts