Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
There was a recent article in one of the magazines that I was reading that said about 10% to 15% of the Indian is foreign origin... about 20% for Victory... and 35% to 50% for HD's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What magazine did you see that in ? I think the motors are made in Minnesota & shipped to Iowa where assembly takes place. FYI -- Factory rep told me this bike is all American Made. Would like to get verification of this, Maybe Polaris can answer that question. I've been told by HD guys that a lot of the parts for there bikes are made in China. All I know is that I LOVE MY #1706 CHIEFTAIN no matter where the origin of parts come from. I wouldn't think Polaris would give a 5 year warranty with foreign parts in these great bikes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What magazine did you see that in ? I think the motors are made in Minnesota & shipped to Iowa where assembly takes place. FYI -- Factory rep told me this bike is all American Made. Would like to get verification of this, Maybe Polaris can answer that question. I've been told by HD guys that a lot of the parts for there bikes are made in China. All I know is that I LOVE MY #1706 CHIEFTAIN no matter where the origin of parts come from. I wouldn't think Polaris would give a 5 year warranty with foreign parts in these great bikes.
Tell you what, I am just going to ignore your response since it is based on no verifiable information on your part, and give you time to look it up for yourself... the information is available. Attached is a couple of pictures of some boxes that my Indian floor board replacements came in... TW stands for Taiwan, which is an island that is China by any other name. Sorry they are not better pics, but the green arrow points to the words "Country of Origin... TW 2014-05-27 13.08.42.jpg 2014-05-27 13.26.03.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why dwell on this? globalization affects us all. I hear HD uses more import parts. But how much will never know. Polaris based in Minnesota is a global company with facilities in 9 countries. Motor built here in Wisconsin. The car with the most USA parts is a Toyota Camry go figure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why dwell on this? globalization affects us all. I hear HD uses more import parts. But how much will never know. Polaris based in Minnesota is a global company with facilities in 9 countries. Motor built here in Wisconsin. The car with the most USA parts is a Toyota Camry go figure.
Whoa there slick... a question was asked, answered, disputed, re-answered... that's what the forum is for. If it upsets you then do NOT click on the subject line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I called indian about the indian floor board replacements that Skip claims are imported from Taiwan & there response was that they are made in OKLAHOMA, USA. Maybe the box is made in Taiwan, who knows ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I called indian about the indian floor board replacements that Skip claims are imported from Taiwan & there response was that they are made in OKLAHOMA, USA. Maybe the box is made in Taiwan, who knows ?
Right... you seem to have an in when it comes to calling Indian about trivia. Who do you talk to? If the picture I posted isn't clear enough for you, then nothing will ever educate you to the reality of motorcycle parts. Other than your imaginary friend at Indian, who has your number??? LOL

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
About 10 years ago HD was going over 50 % of the bike being made over seas. They would lose the made in America status, so changes were made to keep it under 50%. I can handle a water hose and some aftermarket items being out sourced.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Tell you what, I am just going to ignore your response since it is based on no verifiable information on your part, and give you time to look it up for yourself... the information is available. Attached is a couple of pictures of some boxes that my Indian floor board replacements came in... TW stands for Taiwan, which is an island that is China by any other name. Sorry they are not better pics, but the green arrow points to the words "Country of Origin... TW View attachment 856 View attachment 857
Well Skip, fair is fair. Where is your verifiable information? You said it was in an article you read. Instead of sending us on a wild goose chase, why don't you point out the source of the article that you read your information from. Without it, it is unverifiable BS.
And there isn't any reason for you to pretty much call someone a liar about who they do or don't know, or who they did or didn't call at Indian. I have talked to Indian several times on a couple of different matters. I don't find it all far fetched. In fact, I just got of the phone with them and they told me that you fart rose stem thorns.
And before you rip on me for calling you out......lighten up Francis.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,752 Posts
When I popped out my gauge cluster a few months ago, a big "Made in China" sticker was right in front of me.

I understand the "Made in America" attitude and would love for us to again be a nation of manufacturing. The reality is that in a global economy as we have, it's simply not viable to create everything that we need. Asia has long since passed us in making electronics. The quality and price simply can't be met here.

Deal with it.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
No one is calling any one out on this sight. We all like to discuss items, give opinions, poke a little fun at each other. I loved my HD, but every time a removed a part or cover I saw for my self the japan/china/etc parts. I just want my buddies to wake up to the fact "NO bike is 100% made in America"
I did look for the article, no luck but the internet is inundated with articles/news reports on the subject.
My two cents: love what you ride, embrace others who ride, & let it go!

If we are going to call someone out the Manufactures are the one you need to hold accountable

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
USA imports far, far more then it exports.. I don't know the current numbers, but It does directly effect each and every one of us.

I see and feel its effects not only as a consumer but as a producer. Being in manufacturing for 35 years.

15 years ago for every 10 people that left manufacturing, off shored layed off, retired, only 3 people replaced the 10.
You all don't think so look at Detroit... Blame who you want! It's been happening all over our country.

And countries that use their people as slaves, (CHINA,MEXICO)
And its the USA government and big businesses that EXPLOIT this resource

And we suffer loss of Jobs, lower income, and fancy this, Higher Taxes.

So at what % are we now Slaves?????

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,112 Posts
Personally we can't and shouldn't go back to 100% American vehicles (other than small business'). As we've seen in recent years, we are now a global economy. This is also evident in the automotive industry. According to Cars.com (The Cars.com American-Made Index - Cars.com here are the 10 most "American Made" vehicles for 2014:
1. Ford F-150 Dearborn, Mich.;
Claycomo, Mo. 1
2. Toyota Camry Georgetown, Ky.;
Lafayette, Ind. 2
3. Honda Odyssey Lincoln, Ala. 4
4. Toyota Sienna Princeton, Ind. 5
5. Toyota Tundra San Antonio, Texas 7
6. Toyota Avalon Georgetown, Ky. 10
7. Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Bowling Green, Ky. --
8. Honda Ridgeline Lincoln, Ala. --
9. Honda Crosstour East Liberty, Ohio
--
10. Dodge SRT Viper Detroit --

Interesting to note that 7 of the 10 have "non-American" badges.

What happens in one country influences the entire world. However, I do think that Americans should support American business, even if not all of their parts are made in America.

And Skip, hate to tell you this, but Taiwan is not another name for China, in fact they have been at odds against each other for decades BBC News - Taiwan profile - Overview

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
That's good to read. I have a Ford f-150 4 door 4x4. 110,000 miles on it. It's the best, riding, best running car or truck I've ever owned. Still looks almost new.

I never really thought about it before but It's Fords modern day model T.
The family car/truck/station-wagon/adventure vehicle all in one.
And Cadillac/Lincoln appointments.
No wonder they sell more of them than any other car or truck maker model.
And its as American as you can get today.
Eat your Heart out Polaris !!!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Whoa there slick... a question was asked, answered, disputed, re-answered... that's what the forum is for. If it upsets you then do NOT click on the subject line.
Slick?
That would be Mr. Slick, sir- to you.

I am a little slow on the uptake here so please, explain to me if it is the intent to diminish the value of our Indian Motorcycles by pointing out the imported parts percentage?

And who would make the effort to do that in the first place? Some Harley troll?

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
China made parts for HD

I'm the first one to be disgusted with HD... When I call the HD American parts suppliers only to find out that HD has fired them to use the over sea's slave camp (China) as their New supplier..

The American made HD engine crank for the older 88" and 95" twin cam motor Harley sells for 1000.00.. When they introduced the the 96" motor which includes the 103" and larger motors, They come with a slave camp engine crank. That HD sells for 500.00.

HD had to rewrite their service manual to reflect the large tolerances of that crank... Guys that wanted to put in gear drives for the cams instead of HD's flawed chain design.. The new crank would shatter the gears because of its slop.
This was several years back, HD may have invested more in the slave camp by now and solved the problem..,

what ever has happened I'm sure it was the cheapest way to keep selling bikes.

When I was machining for a OEM'S jet engine manufactory one of the engines motor mounts or Frame as they call it (the part the hangs the engine on the wing)
Was contracted with China.... China in turn sent the frame to California to be machined.. Then back to the OEM.

Tell me what financial games are played that that it could be less expensive? The raw material ( the casting ) 20,000.00 bucks was shipped from Arizona to China, to Cali... Then where? China to Arizona again? The finished product as a part that sold for 150,000.00 dollars.

When Ford started out and wanted to make a car that the masses could afford. His manufacturing plant was on a river. Raw materials were Brought to him by boat or shipped really shipped.

And everything was made in one place. That sounds the most efficient, cheapest to me.. And he did accomplish his goal..everyone had his model T..

And today with my Ford F-150.. The best selling model of all cars or trucks at present !!! With the most american made parts of any vehicle.

Go figure.

·
Founding member
951 Posts
This question keeps coming back. Only ones who really know are the corporate bean counters at Polaris. And they will never tell you. Take peoples percentage claims with a grain of salt. Globalization effects us all. The world keeps getting smaller. As I type on my computer made in China. Good luck finding a motorcycle without imported parts. I notice certain guys obsessed with this subject. The answer is quite simple don't buy it. Didn't know this was a Ford truck forum. I'm here to talk about Indian the world's finest motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.