Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

How many riders are happy with ownership of a modern Indian motorcycle?

• To hell with this metric turd! I'm gonna replace it with a Harley.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've got a good lawyer in counselor Dagget and I'm gonna file suit!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the message below in another thread. It was not directed to any particular rider. But I was compelled to say what I did because I've seen what I describe a lot over the years, especially as the internet and social media has become so prevalent. My wife worked for 20 years as a drug store clerk. She's one of those little soft spoken women who truly takes pleasure from helping others out. Her coworkers all loved her and there were a lot of local folks who shopped at her store, rather than at the other store just down the road because of her. There were very few people who had an issue with her in 20 years as a clerk at two different, similarly branded stores in the same town. But the folks who had positive experiences with her just walked out smiling. The few who were unsatisfied with something in their interaction with my wife typically sought the store manager and vented their spleen or filed an official complaint.

"As with virtually ALL subjects and issues, those who have had a less than satisfying experience will tell the world about it. Often repeatedly ad nauseum! While those who are happy will just get on with life, because they don't usually feel the need to "go public" with their satisfaction."

This will be far from a scientific poll, but if those who are dissatisfied with their purchase outnumber the smiling riders it's gonna hurt. So... let's hear from you! Good OR Bad? Let's see how well Indian/Polaris is judged by the riders.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It’s pretty nice and comfortable ride, I’ve traded off most after 3-5 yrs but hope to keep this for a very long time. The only annoying thing is the rattle in the windshield which I’ve kinda fixed. There’s always been something with every one of my 11-12 bikes so I guess this is right up there with the best.

·
Rider
975 Posts
It is the best bike I have ever had but after going 17k/yearish....It has some short comings. I really want more leg room but the highway pegs did not solve it enough. The saddlebags are small And the tourpack adds alot of weight with a passenger.

I was going to look at the road glide or Challenger but no colors attract me right now. The 2021 goldwing is growing on me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: RiderRoy

·
Bronze member
3,109 Posts
I really love my vintage,but had I known that digital wrench can only be obtained by a dealer,I wouldn't have bought it.
I work on older harleys for people,yet I can't work on my own bike.
It will when the time comes,have an s and s carb with electronic ignition.
I'll lose cruse control,but at least it won't cost hundreds of bucks to repair on the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll second what Thelastbill said. I couldn't believe how much weight came off the bike the first time I took that tour pack off.

Having said that..... My 2019 Roadmaster is easily the most comfortable bike I've ridden. Now if you ask my bride, she'll tell you the Goldwing has a better back seat. But no one can really compete with the Honda road sofa for passenger comfort. Looking forward to many years and miles on this beast.

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
962 Posts
I love my ‘17 Springfield. I’ve had no issues other than the ones I have created (e.g., stripped screws).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Love my 2016 Chieftain DH. We rode Route 66 all the way 2 yrs ago, never an issue. It is big and it is heavy, but meh, it's a cruiser. Also bought a Scout for a run around bike. Miles of smiles for me.

·
Rider
974 Posts
I have owned three previous bikes before the SF. A Suzuki and two HDs. Of all of them my Indian is the best bike I have owned.

I tend to keep my bikes for a long time. My Suzuki and my Sportster I kept for 9-10 years. I still have my 05 Springer and have had it since new. I plan to keep my SF for the rest of my life. I am now 52.

I have never been one for fairings but I do like the Deep water blue/Dirt track tan Chieftain I saw at my dealer but not enough to trade my SF in on it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the FTR. I did not want to skew the results but in addition to it being the best bike I've ever owned, I was also going to select "Eh... reliability ain't what it should be" but I feel like that is more an FTR problem than an Indian problem. A bit of a paradox that despite all of the FTR problems, it really is still the best bike I've owned.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought an entry level bike basically, a Scout Sixty. As much as I love it, no problems to date, it's entry level. I can't decide if I want to upgrade to a Scout or Springfield, but I've gotta upgrade and it will be an Indian.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It is the best bike I have ever had but after going 17k/yearish....It has some short comings. I really want more leg room but the highway pegs did not solve it enough. The saddlebags are small And the tourpack adds alot of weight with a passenger.

I was going to look at the road glide or Challenger but no colors attract me right now. The 2021 goldwing is growing on me.
I agree. The new Goldwing design was off putting at first, but is growing on me too. But if your beef is the saddle bags on the Indian are too small, the Goldwings luggage capacity is smaller than the Roadmaster. Just food for thought.

2021 Goldwing - "With a 2 30-liter bag and a 50-liter case over the current sports Wing 110 Total liter of luggage." (110 liters = 29.0589 gallons) -- MotoRallyReviewmotorallyreview.com › HONDA
2021 Roadmaster - "has over 37 gallons of storage with remote-locking saddlebags, a Thunder Stroke 116 motor than produces 126 ft-lbs of torque..." -- ultimatemotorcycling.com › 2021 Motorcycle Previews

·
Registered
255 Posts
I’ve had a CB650C standard, a YZF600R sport bike, a Triumph T595 sport bike, and a Triumph 955i sportbike. My Indian Roadmaster is my first cruiser. So I come to Indian from a background that emphasizes power and great cornering. My Indian blew me away with how well it takes the curves. I expected great torque (check) comfort (check), and amazing amenities like GPS and tire pressure and a sound system (check), but I never expected a bike this big to handle the way the Roadmaster does.

I’m totally lifetime committed to my Roadmaster because my wife bought it and customized it for me. We’re gear heads who are really into vehicles. We watched Ford vs. Ferrari and my wife asked “what’s that car that Carrol is driving? Can we get one?” So we may build a Cobra one of these days. But no matter what we build or buy, I tell her all the time I will never own another vehicle that means more to me than that Roadmaster.

There’s more to it than the thought and work she put into it, even though that’s the biggest part. I’ve got over 11,000 miles on the Roadmaster, and it continues to impress me how well made and well thought out these bikes are. Things like the infotainment system that doesn’t just give you a code, it often gives you a description. The key fob with a battery that’s easy to change (are you listening, BMW?). These are great, well thought out motorcycles. They are so good, I rode my Roadmaster for over 10,000 miles before I even put a K&N filter in it, and that remains my only “performance” mod. Bone stock, the engine pulled well with both of us on the bike, riding at 9000’. That’s impressive.

So how much do I love my Indian? I intend to have this bike for the rest of my life.

Reactions: Dunerider

·
Registered
89 Posts
I absolutely love my 2020 Bobber. I bought it figuring I would be totally content with it for years to come. Now after only having it for a few months I'm eyeballing other Indians to add to the garage lol. I don't want to trade the Bobber in by any means, I'd like to keep it for local rides and get a bagger for longer trips. I grew up with my father having Indians so owning anything else is sacrilegious.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I absolutely love my 2020 Bobber. I bought it figuring I would be totally content with it for years to come. Now after only having it for a few months I'm eyeballing other Indians to add to the garage lol. I don't want to trade the Bobber in by any means, I'd like to keep it for local rides and get a bagger for longer trips. I grew up with my father having Indians so owning anything else is sacrilegious.
I'm undecided on whether I'll keep my Scout Sixty if I get a bagger.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,842 Posts
Tale of two Indians here. The 2015 Chieftain was the best motorcycle I ever owned with second place going to the 2012 Victory Cross Country that preceded it. The current bike a 2019 Indian Scout ABS Icon is very good in many ways but the ride quality and comfort doesn't hold a candle to either of the other two. Being a lighter weight bike that doesn't come as a surprise to me nor does the fact I can feel wind pushing on the bike more. The Scout is a fun bike though but not something I would care to go long distances on.

·
Founding member
1,132 Posts
Sadly my Old Girl is currently struggling to shift between 4th,5th, and 6th.... So she is parked until I can get her in for some much needed attention... BUT I love her and she has been so much more than good to me, I don't want to risk anything truly bad happening, which is why she is parked until I can get her fixed by a professional. My wife is not happy that we can't ride, because the bike isn't technically broken, but I can't bring myself to ride her in this condition. Having said all that, I couldn't put into words how much I love this bike and all the great times we've (the Mrs, myself, and the bike) have had over the last 6 years and 90k miles. She has earned a break until I can get her fixed up right!

·
Bronze Member
1,661 Posts
I absolutely love my 2014 chieftain and it may very well be the best bike that I have ever owned. At 38k miles the only issues I have had so far are: Power button chrome under warranty (twice), left driving light door, new battery at 5 yrs., spark plug wires at 33k and the factory recalls.

After a floorboard lowering kit, Rox risers and an Ultimate seat, it is the most comfortable, best riding cruiser that I have ever owned.

I chose #3, only because I had higher miles my other bikes and at this point I don't feel that I can comment on it's long term reliability compared to my previous rides. When the odometer on this bike hits the six figure mark, I can reevaluate and truly decide where it belongs on the list.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I enjoy the '15 Vintage that my wife no longer rides. I sold My '11 Victory Cross Country to be down to one bike. I do miss the XC as it was the best handling, most reliable bike I ever owned.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Have a 2019 Chief Vintage and am absolutely thrilled to own and ride the bike. I like it better than my top of the line touring Harley. That says something.

Like my GF told me, the Vintage is my forever bike !!

Only complaint would be the 2019 Vintage wouldn't allow a power outlet in the handlebar bag since they 'forgot' to add the connector in the headlight harness. But, I installed one myself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love my Vintage - really smooth bike. No issues so far, and I have left her stock except for the fuel map off the PV3 to enrichen it a little. It’s right up there with the two Vics I owned, a stage 2 cross country and a stage 2 highball, which, btw, was the most photographed and complimented bike I ever had. Couldn’t go anywhere without a crowd gathering around it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts