Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Rider
490 Posts
Riding has been the one hobby that has stuck with me my whole life. Other hobbies kind of fell by the wayside as the years passed by. The miles certainly have racked up over the years but what differentiates me from most riders is I have dedicated a certain time of day to pursue my passion for riding without interfering with family activities or my occupation. Only one time frame seemed to fit, 5am to 8am, which meant no late activity and in bed by 9pm ! Yes , I could write a book on safety and close calls but typing is not one of my hobbies! All the miles on this bike are within 100 miles of my home; so riding is my only destination! It’s not how many miles you can ride, it’s how much you enjoy riding when you get the chance to.
Your priorities are definitely in order. Please keep us all updated as to your travels once you retire and become an empty nester. :)

·
Read Only
244 Posts
I am semi-retired now after farming for 40 years, I now do grounds keeping on 30 acres for a 16 house development with a mile long walking trail ! I guess farming embedded the early riser in me, all the way back to when Dad woke me up for chores at 4:30am ! I still have long busy days 9 months out of the year ; especially for a 66 year old Swede !

·
Rider
490 Posts
I can identify. Born and raised on a farm myself. Cash crops (corn, soybeans, wheat, oats) only - no livestock. So my days didn’t start at 4:30am. More like 6am on the average. My two older brothers carried on our father’s and grandfather’s heritage. Wasn’t enough land for all three of us, so I went to college. I am very proud of my agricultural upbringing and now help my nephew in the fall by hauling grain to the elevator for him. Your background explains your priorities. You should be proud.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I’m not worthy, I’m not worthy..... I only have 1456 miles on my 18 Chieftain DH. Had it since Sept 18, but have been dealing with health issues this year (hernia surgery and heart attack). I hope to kick it up a bunch in 2020.

Bubba

·
Read Only
244 Posts
I’m not worthy, I’m not worthy..... I only have 1456 miles on my 18 Chieftain DH. Had it since Sept 18, but have been dealing with health issues this year (hernia surgery and heart attack). I hope to kick it up a bunch in 2020.

Bubba
When a person such as you is struggling through adversity, you are definitely worthy and are to be commended for your persistence to get back on the bike! Don’t let go of hope for better days because that is what gives us a ride to our future and leaves our adversities in the dust! I have several chronic health issues that bother me every day and sometimes prevents my riding, but hope of better days always drives me forward! Here’s wishing you better days and miles ahead Bubba !

·
Bronze member
2,790 Posts
had a bad year as far as nice long extended rides go... so my 18 Limited (brand new for this riding season) only has 7k on it.. and now it's in the barn until spring... but the more I ride it the more I love it... however I am going to test ride the Challenger this spring so if I don't jump on it, I'll be going stage II and keeping it for awhile..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had a wet summer here in ND, still managed to get 6,400 miles on it. ‘18 limited bought in March of this year. Happy riding to all you warm winter guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
244 Posts
Had a wet summer here in ND, still managed to get 6,400 miles on it. ‘18 limited bought in March of this year. Happy riding to all you warm winter guys!!!

That’s a cool profile pic of your bike and the BNSF engine! Where was that picture taken and thanks for posting your mileage. You’re off to a good start even with the crappy weather in Minnesota and the Dakotas!

·
Registered
41 Posts
That’s a cool profile pic of your bike and the BNSF engine! Where was that picture taken and thanks for posting your mileage. You’re off to a good start even with the crappy weather in Minnesota and the Dakotas!
Thank you! That was taken up by Williston ND along the Missouri River.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I have a 2015 Roadmaster here with 82,259 miles... not all my miles, but it does illustrate something about these bikes. The bike is tight and trouble-free and very hard to tell it has that many miles. These are very well-built machines!

·
Registered
78 Posts
View attachment 507620 This is one tough engine !! Instead of how many miles you got, how about how many hours you got ? ( for those who have an hours readout) I don’t baby this engine either since the average speed over the life of the bike is 54.76 MPH.
I've got average speed indicator on my 2013 Volvo with some cross county trips at 80mph and only have an average speed of 38 mph. Interesting.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
It is interesting to read the bike's speed history from its computer memory log... I have looked at quite a few of those logs. Most folks are waaaay tame compared to me! Location makes a huge difference though. If I was around a city or population center, then I would have no choice but to slow it down considerably!

·
Registered
95 Posts
So far I have 545 miles on my 2019 Dark Horse. Bought new 11-09 19. First service complete everything checks OK , no problems to report at all... I’ve owned Polaris snowmobile s in the past, so there was never any hesitation about the quality they put out....:)

·
Read Only
244 Posts
So far I have 545 miles on my 2019 Dark Horse. Bought new 11-09 19. First service complete everything checks OK , no problems to report at all... I’ve owned Polaris snowmobile s in the past, so there was never any hesitation about the quality they put out....:)
I had a Polaris Indy Trail snowmobile for 10 years and it was very dependable also. In years of heavy snow it was always fun in the early spring to ride snowmobile in the morning and then motorcycle in the afternoon!

221 - 240 of 250 Posts