Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum. I love the look of the new Cheiftain. I had a chance to sit on one at the end of the Trail of Tears ride last month in AL but didn't get to ride it. I am going to Biketorbest to demo one. If I do pick one up, I will be riding next year's (2014) Hoka Hey Challenge with it. Key West to Homer AL, of course dependability will be a key. What kind of mileage are some of you racking up? The checkpoints have been HD dealerships so I would more then likely have to change the oil myself along the way, what's your experience with simple maintenance?

I'm also watching the forums to see if I see any trends. I am on the RoadGlide.Org forum as well and there is a lot of good info for that bike so I am hoping to see the same here. I know being a new product there will be some issues, but I've really liked what I have seen so far.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I am approaching 500 miles on my Chieftain. No issues to really speak of. I am getting 42 mpg on the hwy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone undertaken a long road trip? Any one with X amount of 1000 miles yet? I like the 42 miles per gallon. On the Hoka Hey that's important. The smaller gas tank (vs the HD 6.5) is somewhat of a concern, I can look at options down the road if I get one. I am heading out tomorrow for Daytona, hope to ride several while I am out there. Thanks for the responses so far...

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I have 525 miles on my Chieftain. One trip was 160 miles long, with a 160 mile return the next day. I got 41 mpg. Changed my oil today using the Indian oil change kit from the dealer ($80). Love the bike so far.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I too am interested in comments from Chieftain owners. A black one maybe in the garage come next spring....

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I now have 1000 miles on my Chieftain. Put 770 mile on it yesterday. Drove from Oklahoma to Jacksonville Ar to have the 500 mile service. Left at 4AM and got back home at 9:30 PM. She drives like a dream. No issues. Can not thank Gregory Polaris enough. What a great team.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, returned home last night from Daytona after testing two Cheiftains. One was stock, the other had a stage 1 kit. First impression, the first bike was stock, to me it sounded like a Victory that I test drove in 2011 before buying my current RoadGlide (WAIT! Don't hang up yet!) but then I thought, it also sounded a lot like the new 2013 Heritage Softail that I bought for my wife. It is stock as well.

My second test ride was on a Cheiftain with the stage one kit, the increase in power was significantly noticeable and the engine sound was great! The test ride was a little under 10 miles. If you have done these at Daytona, you know that they circle the airport. You do get to open them up some at different places on the ride. The bike performed well and I was very pleased with the get up and go.

I did have an issue when I started the first ride, (It was my problem) let me explain-I had gone over how to start it, checked the mirrors, played with the power windshield adjustment, then I dropped the bike into 1st gear as the group started out...but then I struggled to find second gear! I have been using a bike with a heel shifter since the late 90's! My muscle memory took a minute and I had to think, oh yeah 1 down and 5 up. I got it worked out and only struggled a couple of times.

Being at Daytona I got to talk to some great people, turns out one of the gents-Lonnie, was one of the main engineers for the bike. He advised as did others, that there will be a heel shifter coming out eventually, it may be even through the secondary market, we shall see.

I live in GA currently there are no Indian shops here. I was talking to one of the Indian team members that was assisting the riders and found out that he (Josh) was a District Sales Manager for the Southern states and he doesn't live that far from me! We had a great conversation and I hope to talk to him more down the road.

My overall impression was great for the bike, and the company. I think they have a great product and I sm looking forward to seeing all the new accessories that will be coming out.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
<span>I only have a couple hundred miles on it so far. It is snowing here today so I took my truck. The only 2 problems I have had so far is when I put gas in. I had the gas blow back all over the tank. I think the problem was with the gas hose not the bike. I also notes the tran does not like the cold. If it below freezing you need to warm it up just a little longer then normal or it won't shift easy. But I love the bike and I am very happy so far. </span>

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
690 miles so far. No problems to report.

By the way, the Indian dealer in Las Vegas said that after the 500 mile break-in service, the Indians need a 2,500 mile service to stay on warranty. After that, it's every 5,000 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
14087 said:

By the way, the Indian dealer in Las Vegas said that after the 500 mile break-in service, the Indians need a 2,500 mile service to stay on warranty. After that, it's every 5,000 miles.
Oh how much I love dealers........
Read the manual, page 82. Oil service intervals are: 500, 5000. 10000. 15000. 20000.........

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
14087 said:

An extra oil and filter change can't hurt, do it yourself.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Just passed 1200 miles today. The only problems are software related, which I kind of expected. Check engine light came on, I turned off the bike, turned it back on and it was gone. Swung by the dealer and the code was 'cruise control failed to disengage'. I have never used the cruise control :)
Also it seems to be fussy about my iPod Nano - sometimes it recognizes it, sometimes it doesn't. In the manual it says you can just load up a regular USB stick and use that for a device. Think I will give that a try...

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Put on another 230 miles yesterday and today - nice weather in Vegas. Taking the advice and buying an oil change kit. Manual does say 500 then every 5000 thereafter (need to read every darn page!). BTW, dealer says the passenger backrests are on 'backorder' and won't be delivered till December or early-January. Soviet planning at its worst if you ask me. I love this bike!

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Got mine up to 301 miles. Haven't been able to take any long rides, mostly riding to and from work on it. Its been in the mid to low 20's in the mornings so that ride is straight to work. Afternoons have been mid 50's and usually take the long way home. Last Friday the 20 minute ride took 2 hours ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, I've owned and ridden motorcycles sence my freshman year, high school (1975). I've had Hondas, Suzzikies, Yamahas and currently owne Harley and Indian. I don't discrimante against any of them, It's like women, I like them all just some more then others.
My first ride was at Street Vibration Reno NV in Sept. The factory truck showed up with all the models, the Victory demo guys were there to. There was far more interest in the Indians, I guess because they are new over the Victory bikes. My first impression of the Chieftain was good, loved the up and down windshield, the bike fit me almost perfectly, I'm 5'9''. I was still not sold on it until I did more research. I found Indian has a 5 year warranty, 1 year roadside assistance and $1000 military discount, and straight forward financing.
I picked up my Springfield Blue Chieftain Saturday and put 130 miles on it before a major seat manufacture in Hollister CA contacted me. They have a red Chieftain but wonted a blue one for a photo shoot with there seats specific to these bikes. I checked out what they put on the red bike, very nice top of the line seat. There van came to my house in Watsonville, two employees that looked like they had done this before secured the bike. I will get the bike back with a distressed tan leather seat just for Indian, no charge, how nice is that.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts