Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...before the following is available for Indian motorcycles?

Exhaust systems
Power Commander
High flow air filter

What about a tach?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 'specs' on the web pages for each model show a digital tach as standard equipment.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can, t help but feel these things are being marketed as the front lawn show piece! There will of course be many that will actually road, but im thinking for the most part these are for the sunday afternoon rider's. I don, t see these as something a 21 year old will turn to in large numbers.These are the folks that will be buying many new bikes in the future. The older farts such as my age or so that go the heritage route will in the large scheme of things only have 1 or 2 more bikes .Then what, I can, t s these things developing the rider base to last! Besides didnt someone try this already a few times?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I give it 6 months. It wouldn't surprise me if Polaris has already been working with vendors behind the scenes anticipating aftermarket demand.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll ask a question:

Why is it that no HP numbers have been released on the new Indians?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Cheiftan comes with an analog tach and Stage 1 exhaust is already available on the Indian website. I'm sure the aftermarket vendors will be watching Indian sales closely and if they take off, as I think they will, the aftermarket accesories will follow suit.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 said:
I'll ask a question:

Because that's how Harley markets their bikes, they only talk torque.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 said:
I'll ask a question:

I'd say that when it comes to purchasing a heavy cruiser especially a bike with the heritage the name Indian carry's, horse power probably won't make or break the deal. A lot of Harley riders don't consider horsepower when they go out and buy an electraglide either, obviously. Horsepower is interesting to know but if the bike delivers what you want then you sign on the line and you worry about gaining horsepower when boredom starts creeping in.
Maybe the marketing people at Polaris think the same way I do. Maybe.
Nepper's nickel

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke to the Indian reps at Daytona and they gave me the Torque spec but refused to discuss the HP number. They said it was 'Top Secret' and that they were still doing testing on the new engine and did not want to release anything. I suspect they never will but I am sure that somebody will put one of those new 'Ingines' on a dyno and see for themselves. Hopefully they are members of teh VOG and will post their sheet!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just don't see these bikes lending themselves to being customized. Thats not why you buy one. More of a purist attitude will buy the Indians and not want to touch it other than OEM stuff like backrest etc.

Some will but not many. Resale on these will be more for the unmolested ones in later years.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
12385 said:
I spoke to the Indian reps at Daytona and they gave me the Torque spec but refused to discuss the HP number. They said it was 'Top Secret' and that they were still doing testing on the new engine and did not want to release anything. I suspect they never will but I am sure that somebody will put one of those new 'Ingines' on a dyno and see for themselves. Hopefully they are members of teh VOG and will post their sheet!
If the motor is making 119 ft/lbs of torque at 3000 rpm's ( I think I heard that somewhere ) that equates to 68 hp at 3000 rpm. If torque falls off rapidly from there on the hp will still rise but slowly. HP = TQ X rpm divided by 5250. Also, I suspect the 119 ft/lbs at 3000 rpm was a crank number, not at the rear wheel so those numbers will be lower. So I'm going to just make a rough guess that when someone does get one of these bikes on a dyno it will read 110 tq and 85 hp peak.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 said:
Because it would be an unimpressive number.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4902 said:
I give it 6 months. It wouldn't surprise me if Polaris has already been working with vendors behind the scenes anticipating aftermarket demand.
This is true. John Shope of Dirty Bird Concepts in Arizona (Formerly Sinister Industries) posted on facebook the day after the reveal that Indian management already approached him to make parts..maybe one off...maybe not..?

This is the first indian he got his hands on... he has another in the shop right now....

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4902 said:
If the motor is making 119 ft/lbs of torque at 3000 rpm's ( I think I heard that somewhere ) that equates to 68 hp at 3000 rpm. If torque falls off rapidly from there on the hp will still rise but slowly. HP = TQ X rpm divided by 5250. Also, I suspect the 119 ft/lbs at 3000 rpm was a crank number, not at the rear wheel so those numbers will be lower. So I'm going to just make a rough guess that when someone does get one of these bikes on a dyno it will read 110 tq and 85 hp peak.
I think you are pretty damn close, but probably slightly optimistic on the HP number.....just my gut feeling.
As we all know, on an 850 pound bike, all we really care about is that raw torque and gearing anyways. The only people discussing HP are extreme power junkies modifying these beasts as a passionate hobby (Halfcrazy), and then the opposite side of the spectrum where you find guys who really don't know what they are talking about. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Random thought or question here. Would the need for more horsepower be directly proportionate to the size and weight of a passenger? (much the same as an adjustable shock that gets inflated based on the weight of the 'load')
I've seen some of the pictures and videos from Polaris and have to admit that most of the passengers look like they are about 1/2 the size of those I normally see in the real world. Could that be considered false advertising?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
894 said:
Random thought or question here. Would the need for more horsepower be directly proportionate to the size and weight of a passenger? (much the same as an adjustable shock that gets inflated based on the weight of the 'load')
I've seen some of the pictures and videos from Polaris and have to admit that most of the passengers look like they are about 1/2 the size of those I normally see in the real world. Could that be considered false advertising?
Nah...showing off the bike is easier with a 170lb man than 300+!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
692 said:
Because it would be an unimpressive number.
My thoughts exactly. If the HP number was somthing to tout, trust me, they would be telling us.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2 said:
My thoughts exactly. If the HP number was somthing to tout, trust me, they would be telling us.
It's the same reason HD just gives a claimed torque figure... the HP figure is embarrassing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts