Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Chief Vintage and the battery just died. I have had it on a tender when not in use, did it do well to last 5 years in Naples Florida? What is the best replacement battery and where can I purchase it?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Vendor / bronze
2,918 Posts
The heat can kill a battery as fast as two years. So I think more than this is acceptable. Keeping it in the garage and on a tender helps. I live in SE Georgia and my battery lasted 4 years until started bragging about it.

·
Silver member
4,842 Posts
I have a 2015 Chief Vintage and the battery just died. I have had it on a tender when not in use, did it do well to last 5 years in Naples Florida? What is the best replacement battery and where can I purchase it?
Thanks,
Greg
If I had a battery that lasted that long, I'd pull it out of the bike and check the brand, and think seriously about getting another just like it.

·
Rider
630 Posts
I’m still on the original battery in my ‘16 model. It stays on a tender if I’m going to have it parked more than a day or too.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
2 years for the first one in my Dark Horse. The second lasted about 18 months. I just put a Renegade Wicked Start battery in a couple of months ago. I'm hoping to get 3 or 4 years out of it. I live in South Florida, so it is my belief that the Florida heat combined with the heat generated from the bike's engine eats up normal motorcycle batteries.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just replaced the dead battery with a Deca USA made battery , sealed AGM. Just like the factory USA made Yausa.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My 19 RM had cams installed a couple weeks ago and I’ve had it on a battery tender since and rode it 100+ miles Saturday, I tried starting it this am with no luck waited an hour or so and got it started finally. The temperature was in the 30s and I’ve read this seems to be a typical problem. I never had a problem last summer hope this is only a one time thing I never had a problem on the chieftain I had for 3 yrs and 15,000mi.

·
Bronze member
1,921 Posts
Heat and vibration take their toll on MC batteries. I don’t think the bike makers could put them in a worse place. I had a brand new one fail in less than 1 year. I’ve had them last 3 years. I replace mine every year as part of routine maintenance. I use the old one in the lawn mower or give them to a friend that has a lawn care business.

Reactions: HyeHog

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
367 Posts
Batteries are kinda important lol, ya know. I'd be scare to take a nice 150 mile ride knowing I needed to be back at a specific time on a 5 year old battery. I'm just saying, 3 to 4 years max and I'm changing it. We spend thousands on shinny parts for our bikes, what's a mere $150 every 3 years. Just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2014 Chieftain still has the original battery and is running strong. Bought the bike from Indian Motorcycles Sturgis, in May 2014. Use a Yuasa battery tender when parked for more than a week.

·
Bronze member
3,953 Posts
The factory Yuasa batteries that come with the bikes are very high quality and good batteries. These are the reasons people have issues with them.

1. The battery is old and has been sitting discharged for a while (like at the dealership for a year and who knows how long at the factory) the bike will not properly charge it.
2. Using a improper battery tender not designed for AGM batteries. This alone is a huge cause.
3. The battery was never properly charged

This is what happened with these batteries.

Indian had bad voltage regulators frying batteries, and in the ride command bikes and excessive parasitic draw causing premature drain. These have been fixed since for the most part.

But created this false notion the battery has to be on the tender all the time.

Most battery tenders are glorified battery chargers that put a positive voltage on the battery at all times damaging it.

Deltran Brand and BatteryMinder are 2 very good "real" battery tenders. Most of the other garbage you get at Harbor Freight, Walmart and off brand Amazon are bad and will destroy your battery.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Noco genius G3500 is alright. My Indian dealership sells Optimate that maintain AGM, standard, Gel and deep cycle. I have one and a CTEK. All work fine.
Just have to remember to hook it up!
With the COVID-19 lock down it's a good idea to hook up your cars too

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
I replaced my original battery shortly after buying my SDH in February 2018,with a Renegade 530 CCA battery [verses the 310 CCA that came in the machine from the factory] and haven't looked back,atleast,NOT YET!!! lol lol .

·
Registered
316 Posts
5 years is good. I replace mine every 3 years max whether I think it needs it or not. Getting stranded over an $80 item isn't high on my to-do list. :)

·
Administrator
14,709 Posts
I also have a 2015 and it did fine until I replaced it last year out of the proverbial “abundance of caution” — didn’t want it to go bellyup out on a road trip. But it fired up every time, and I’m a year-round rider in Colorado — no battery tender and riding until it gets below 20 degrees. I replaced it with a standard Yuasa 350CCA. If you want higher CCA a lot of the guys have had great success with the Wicked Start 550 CCA.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts