Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going solo in two weeks, starting at Front Royal to Asheville. Likes like an easy two-day ride. Any good stops?

I'm thinking of heading west after that and giving the Dragon and Cherohala another run.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Went from Orlando-Atlanta-Asheville-Lynchburg two years ago via Blue Ridge Pkwy. Terrific ride and stop when you want

·
Registered
245 Posts
In my opinion, the prettiest part of the parkway is between Blowing Rock, NC and Cherokee, NC. If you exit at Asheville, I think you will miss some of the more beautiful vistas.

While you can do the whole thing in two days you might be a little rushed if you like to stop and enjoy sights along the way. My wife and I drove it last year and spent two nights on the parkway. First night at Pisgah Inn (gorgeous views) and second night at Peaks of Otter Lodge. We finished about mid day on day 3. I drove slowly and we stopped some but I wouldn’t say a lot.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Two day is probably good but 3 would be better if you stop a lot. I agree with ALP the best parts are past Asheville, you can hop off the parkway between Cherokee and Maggie Valley and stop in the Wheels Through Time Museum. Maggie Valley has a bunch of nice mom and pop hotels. If I was trying to do it in 2 days I would plan to ride hard through va and plan to slow the pace down as I got close to Asheville area. That’s where the best sights are in my opinion.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've rode that many times all the way to Cherokee. We usually take two days. Starting out at Humpback Rocks around 10, fuel stop in Roanoke, end of day around Hillsville, VA. Next day all the way to Cherokee. With that being said the group I used to ride with wasn't too much into sightseeing. It was more about the ride itself. We're generally not doing 45mph. Another thing to consider is construction and bypasses on the highway itself. You may want to check with the Park Service for info on that. It can severely ruin your day and timings.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You absolutely cannot go wrong on the BRP. Please know, you will not be going to a destination as much as you are riding through the mountains. And that is more than enough.
I always want more time on the parkway. Allow for side trips into Boone, Asheville, Maggie Valley, Cherokee, Little Switzerland...and others. You will hit the possibility of every kind of weather, plan accordingly.
I'm jealous.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
About the only thing you will hate on that road are the motor homes and campers on that ride. Especially the out of state drivers have no idea what the turn offs are for! Many places were there is little to no areas where you can get around them. It can be pretty frustrating. Dean

·
Registered
76 Posts
I lived in Asheville for quite a while and loved riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would think two days would be rushed a bit, but I stop and gander a bit more than some. Look it up, there is a 800 number that will let you know about outages. Also, keep your eyes on the road, there are quite a few that run off the side because they are paying more attention to the views than the road.

·
Rider
1,008 Posts
Agree with what everyone has said. Also , you should stop in Waynesville at the Indian dealer there. Great bunch of folks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When you get to Ashville I would visit the Biltmore Mansion. If you are interested check their website to make sure they are open with Covid-19 and buy tickets. The Tail of the Dragon is down there and as previously stated Dale's Wheels Through Time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've done top to bottom twice Skyline Drive-Blue Ridge Parkway. if you're going all the way plan on three days unless you're just flying through. But you're probably going to want to stop, take in views, relax, hop off for food, etc. It's really amazing.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All great help, thanks. I am having a hard time finding a route or highway number. I am using Google or Apple Maps and I actually cannot find the whole BRP route, especially the north end near Afton. As well, one of the motorcycled riding sites talks about The Ragged Edge but never gives theorize number so I cannot find it. Looks like a nice detour. .

·
Registered
168 Posts
We have a group of a Indian riders from the Gilroy days and we used to have a Blue Ridge ride every year... its slowed down some.. but the Stations Inn at around mike marker 249 was our place to stay... we were good friends with the owner then... it’s changed hands but still a good central point...

Then we stayed once at the Gear Head Inn near Cherokee... good spot owners partied and hung with us til the wee hours...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just rode the Blue Ridge Parkway last week for the first time, I left from Maggie Valley. I do not know how far we went I rode with the group for the 4th annual Indian motorcycle Pow Wow. I did 640 miles over 4 days of riding in that area with the group. Most of it was on the BRP. I can say it was the best road and roads I have ever ridden in my entire life!! GOD willing i will return for more. Last week it was in the 50's degrees in the morning. I did not think the Smoky Mountains would be so chilly at the end of June. And yes prepare for rain I did 2200 miles in 6 days last week and probably about 700-800 miles were in the wet weather, sometimes heavy. Good Luck on your trip from start to finish and enjoy.

Reactions: Lost Hillbilly

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
How long will depend on your stopping time. You’re not going to go much faster than the speed limit, and depending on tourist traffic, may encounter slower than usual speeds. It’s been my experience, you’ll cover less ground in a day than anticipated. Also, I’ve over extended my ride and gotten caught on the parkway at night. I would not recommend that...it’s darker than dark (if that makes sense) due to the high mountain peaks and no surface lighting. Temperature will also drop fast.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
657 Posts
I live a few miles off the parkway. I avoid it at all costs on the weekends, especially during leaf season. Too many 4 wheeled serial killers. Check out "The Stations Inn" in Laurel Springs, NC. There is a good restaurant there and reasonably priced rooms and it is motorcycle centered. Don't let the rural nature lull you into a false sense of security that there are no police around. They have inconspicuous hiding places and strictly enforce the 45 MPH speed limit. Be advised there are regulations pertaining to firearms on federal property.
new-firearms-regulations.htm
Have a nice trip!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts