Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I made an aesthetic test on the left exhaust protection in painting it with 800°C high T° black paint and after that I can touch it with hands without burns. At rest after riding the T° = 31°C.

Then I get the catalysor also painted with 800°C black paint and here the result.
Fully paint in black and after 2 weeks only the 2 extreme parts were still painted in black. The T° at the catalysor part was so high than the black paint disappeared.

20190725_111453.jpg
20190901_catalyseur après peinture.jpg

Then I decided to add Thermic Titanium band on the catalysor part only. Easier as this part has a lower diameter and then no worries with header protection fixation. Here is the results with a 2 meters long band of 3cm large.

Bande thermique posée.jpg

and the result in term of T°C. I just started the motor and tested the different T°C values.

At the cylinder output 211°C , 132°C prior the catalysor and 91°C in front of the catalysor.

211 degre sortie cylindre arrière.jpg

132 degre avant catalyseur.jpg

91 degre face catalyseur.jpg

and now the finish.

20190910_coté droit.jpg

20190910_de 3 quart arriere.jpg

I am an Happy biker now.
Hope it will help some of you too.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Curious if putting heat resistant paint (or any covering) on the pipes keeps the heat inside? Would that not result in shorter engine life? Just curious. I thought about wrapping the pipes on my old Harley Tri-Glide (before I rode an Indian) to keep the heat off of the rider, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was doing more harm than good.

Bubba

·
Bronze member
1,603 Posts
The more heat you keep in the exhaust stream, the better the exhaust system is at scavenging gases out of the combustion chamber when the calve opens. One of the reasons ceramic coatings and this heat tape works so well.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
First of all I made an aesthetic test on the left exhaust protection in painting it with 800°C high T° black paint and after that I can touch it with hands without burns. At rest after riding the T° = 31°C.

Then I get the catalysor also painted with 800°C black paint and here the result.
Fully paint in black and after 2 weeks only the 2 extreme parts were still painted in black. The T° at the catalysor part was so high than the black paint disappeared.

View attachment 525638 View attachment 525640

Then I decided to add Thermic Titanium band on the catalysor part only. Easier as this part has a lower diameter and then no worries with header protection fixation. Here is the results with a 2 meters long band of 3cm large.

View attachment 525642

and the result in term of T°C. I just started the motor and tested the different T°C values.

At the cylinder output 211°C , 132°C prior the catalysor and 91°C in front of the catalysor.

View attachment 525644
View attachment 525646
View attachment 525648

and now the finish.

View attachment 525650

View attachment 525652

I am an Happy biker now.
Hope it will help some of you too.
My only worry is the heat didn't magically go away. You just trapped it.
I don't get paid well enough to know if that could be bad or not.
Any experts want to chime in?

Either way, your thinking and trying! Thanks!

·
Bronze member
1,603 Posts
Tech Help - Exhaust Wrap

"Wrapping any type of exhaust piping is a crucial and important step when controlling exhaust temperatures and reducing radiant under-hood heat. Keeping exhaust gases hotter within the exhaust system helps in decreasing density and increasing the flow of exhaust gases. This improves exhaust scavenging which, in turn, adds power. Also, limiting the radiant heat inside the engine bay can decrease temperatures up to 50%. This reduces heat absorption for electronics, air intakes and through the fire wall, keeping dash components and cabin temperatures to an absolute minimum."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts