Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm impressed with the ground clearance of my 2014 Vintage,,,,, I haven't been scraping pegs where I'm pretty sure my other bikes would have been shedding metal.

Whats your experience - compared to other cruisers, and compared to other bikes that you've owned in general?

·
Registered
425 Posts
We had a ride event here in AZ last month and I TRIED to scrape one and was amazed that there was no scrape until well after I was assuming there would be one. SUPER lean angle.

I have ridden Harley's where you practically have to hang off the side to make a simple turn. On the Indians we went through roundabouts at high speed and never had a bit of trouble

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have pulled some horrific leans to date and have not managed to scrape anything. If I put my Road King in that lean....my foot would get bounced off the board. If I put my Goldwing in the same lean....the bike and I would get intimate with the road!

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have pulled some horrific leans to date and have not managed to scrape anything. If I put my Road King in that lean....my foot would get bounced off the board. If I put my Goldwing in the same lean....the bike and I would get intimate with the road!

Semper Fi,
DrZ
Lean angle on the Road King for 2015 is still listed as 32 degrees on Harley specs for performance. I hope one day that Indian lists the lean angle on its stock bikes on their website, as that is one factor I look for in a motorcycle when considering purchase. So far I have been unable to find that performance stat for the Vintage on Indian's website, manual, or any other source.

Having ridden both the Vintage and the Roadmaster, I would agree with the other post on this topic that one is less likely to scrape the floorboards on the Vintage compared to the Roadmaster.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Lean angle on the Road King for 2015 is still listed as 32 degrees on Harley specs for performance. I hope one day that Indian lists the lean angle on its stock bikes on their website, as that is one factor I look for in a motorcycle when considering purchase. So far I have been unable to find that performance stat for the Vintage on Indian's website, manual, or any other source.

Having ridden both the Vintage and the Roadmaster, I would agree with the other post on this topic that one is less likely to scrape the floorboards on the Vintage compared to the Roadmaster.
Did you scrape a roadmaster board ? I been trying, I'm afraid with the bike that far over, if I do, the tire will be forced to loose contact. I have had the bike very far over, and have not had a scrape yet. I can take a 25mph posted curve at 50mph, and theres tons of em by Virginia city, NV. I'm kinda scared to go any faster, my 02 roadmaster would scrape at 40mph on those same 25 mph curves, and it was not lowered in any way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you scrape a roadmaster board ? I been trying, I'm afraid with the bike that far over, if I do, the tire will be forced to loose contact. I have had the bike very far over, and have not had a scrape yet. I can take a 25mph posted curve at 50mph, and theres tons of em by Virginia city, NV. I'm kinda scared to go any faster, my 02 roadmaster would scrape at 40mph on those same 25 mph curves, and it was not lowered in any way.
Yes I did scrape the Roadmaster board, unlike the Scout and the Vintage I road on the same route during the demo rides.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I managed to scrape a floorboard making a right-hand turn on a green arrow. I kept my speed up .. was just about 28 mph (a hair under 30) and everything was fine until a minivan tried to U-turn into me, and I instinctively leaned a little harder and found the scrape angle. This was on a well-paved road, right-hand turn, entering the turn from the left side of the lane and exiting slightly inside of the left edge of the lane (only turned in to avoid minivan). 28mph for this beast ain't bad. Most cars certainly can't do that.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I'm impressed with the ground clearance of my 2014 Vintage,,,,, I haven't been scraping pegs where I'm pretty sure my other bikes would have been shedding metal.

Whats your experience - compared to other cruisers, and compared to other bikes that you've owned in general?
Bluey, I can tell you a lot about my Indian but there are two things that I can't tell you.

1. How fast will it go?
I got mine up to a shade over 100 mph and it was still pulling like a freight train.

2. How far will it lean over?
The furthest I have leaned my bike over is when it fell over on the crashbar and that was by accident. I was trying to park and messed up and hit the front brake and down she went. Out on the road, I have leaned over far enough to scare the living bejesus out of me and nothing touched.

My Indian's capabilities exceed my skill or desire to push it that far. I realize this ain't real helpful but my "chicken strips" are alive and well.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
BD I bet you can get your knee down and your just being humble.
Well, I ain't quite ready for one of them battery powered electric chairs yet but...

For years I have had a benchmark for twisty roads that I was unfamiliar with...10mph over the speed posted on the caution signs.
Even in the most twisty of challenging roads, this rule of thumb never let me down.

Now a self styled canyon carver would laugh at this....and I know it.
They blow by me like I got the anchor out.
500 miles later they will be soaking their ass in the hot tub at the motel and I will still be out in the wind though.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Well, I ain't quite ready for one of them battery powered electric chairs yet...
I am not ready yet either, but I heard story of by brother leaning one of those Walmart jobs perty far over on his way to the sporting goods:cool:

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I am not ready yet either, but I heard story of by brother leaning one of those Walmart jobs perty far over on his was to the sporting goods:cool:
I keep my "fallen and can't get up button" necklace under my T-shirt...ya know, so the chicks don't see it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts