Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

How does the Springfield Compare to the Scout in Handling?

8K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  GreatWhiteBuffalo 
#1 ·
So... I have a 2018 Scout Sixty that I enjoy immensely every time I ride, especially on the backroads and the twistys

Personally , my favorite one in appearance is the Springfield.. Just wondering if they can even be compared .. I’m going to a demo event next month to find out for myself .. just kind of wanted everyone’s thoughts and opinions .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I put 500km on a scout bobber (I've not ridden a straight Scout) and loved it, it was so agile and fun to ride.

I settled on a 2019 Chief, same chassis and rake as Springfield from 2019 on I believe.
Handling can not be compared. Dont get me wrong, for a big bike the Chief handles amazingly well, but as good as the bobber, no. The bobber is nimble and short and can be aggressively handled.
The Chief is more caresses through corners, turns in much slower, but once turned in holds well and is well balanced.
I hope this helps, and you feel the same after your test ride.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I had a Scout for 3 riding seasons and while it was a great bike, I was never very comfortable with it in the curves - just seemed to have too much play and wobble, even though it was amazingly fun to ride. I bought a SF two years ago because after my test ride, I was so sold on its handling! It is lean and nimble and I am much more comfortable on the big bike on the curves. Hubby had a Chief and he said that compared to his (which I never rode), the SF is much easier to handle than the Chief and feels a lot more like the Scout.

Take that test drive and decide for yourself! I really wanted the cruise control, larger fuel tank and less bumpiness. I was always so beat up after riding 2+ hours on the Scout that I couldn't do trips. Now I can ride 3-4 hours and still feel fine, but I get a great night's sleep!

Hope it all works out for you and you find what makes you happy!

#18 ·
I had a Scout for 3 riding seasons and while it was a great bike, I was never very comfortable with it in the curves - just seemed to have too much play and wobble, even though it was amazingly fun to ride. I bought a SF two years ago because after my test ride, I was so sold on its handling! It is lean and nimble and I am much more comfortable on the big bike on the curves. Hubby had a Chief and he said that compared to his (which I never rode), the SF is much easier to handle than the Chief and feels a lot more like the Scout.

Take that test drive and decide for yourself! I really wanted the cruise control, larger fuel tank and less bumpiness. I was always so beat up after riding 2+ hours on the Scout that I couldn't do trips. Now I can ride 3-4 hours and still feel fine, but I get a great night's sleep!

Hope it all works out for you and you find what makes you happy!
I think you'll find the SF felt better in corners than the Chief is because pre 2019 the SF had a shorter rake.
I believe they are all the same now.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
I had a 2016 Scout 60 for 16 months before moving to a 2018 Springfield Dark Horse.

The Scout handled well enough, but not as nimble as my Kawasaki Versys 650. That was to be expected and didn't worry me. The Scout's suspension in those days was woeful, something I knew before i bought the bike, and I had budgeted for better suspension when I bought the bike. Even with upgraded suspension I could not increase the rear wheel travel and it didn't like the rough roads in my area.

I could push the Scout into twisties easily and it was capable of much more than the advisory speeds signs on corners indicated. One time riding around Tasmania (biker heaven) we had a Ducati xDiavel leading, I was behind him, and some big Indians were behind me. There was no way I could keep up with the Duc when he turned on the power through the corners but we still got to lunch stops before the Roadmasters.

The 2018 SFDH was the first bike with the larger front wheel and cut down fender, coupled with the steeper fork rake. Lots of people who have ridden both the Chief and the Springfield speak of the easier handling of the SF because of the rake.

I think the steeper rake is on most of the other models by now, but not the larger front wheel. There are three variables for handling, rake, trail, wheel size. Even if another model has the same rake, the different trail and wheel can make a difference.

The Springfield DH handles differently from the Scout, especially going slow in traffic and parking etc, because of the greater weight. However, once on the road it carries the weight with ease. It takes more effort in counter-steering to drop into sharper corners than the Scout but responds to a decisive hand.

When I'm out with friends on different bikes I find I'm mostly dropping off the rear of the sport and sport/tourer bikes but ahead of many other cruisers. I have some friends with worked up cruisers and they ride like maniacs, those guys leave me behind.

My last trip to Tasmania was with three mates. Leader was a BMW RT1250, then a Yammy FJR1300, then me, then a Triumph Thunderbird. The BMW and Yam riders were impressed with how the Springfield generally kept pace with them. The Trumpy guy rode in after we'd stopped.

The main thing I notice about the Springfield's weight is that a day of riding twisty roads is more tiring. I leave the others in the pub earlier and go to bed. It takes effort to make it perform at its best.

However, I've done 10 to 12 hour days of highway touring, floating along on cruise control, and finished the day feeling quite relaxed and not weary at all. The Scout's suspension never allowed that sort of easy riding.

#9 ·
Thanks again:) I’m also a fairly large man at 6’4, 235 llbs. I have the extended reach controls with a few mods to make my ride comfortable for me also. I’ve ridden the Chieftain DH and the Roadmaster . I was impressed on how they both took corners , but never got a chance to do any low speed maneuvers with them .

#12 · (Edited)
I’m also 6’ 4” and the Springfield feels great! I’ll likely get the extended reach seat to give my legs a bit more room, but the bike itself is a great size.

I test rode a 2020 SFDH last year with extended reach seats and 12” apes. the handling felt the same as my 2016, but the space from the seat and the power on the 116 engine was incredible.

#10 · (Edited)
I would think a SF would suit your 'dimensions' a whole lot better than the 60, although I see you have it set up to fit you. I am only 5'8'' so jumping between the two is quite noticeable for me. I have had a few runs on Scouts and a full afternoon test ride on a Bobber and I think there is quite a difference between these two bikes and the SF. All of my runs on the Scouts/Bobber have been in city traffic, so I can't really talk about cruising differences, other than state what I see as the obvious - the SF would be miles above the smaller bikes in "cruise-ability" due to the engine size, seat size, back rest, luggage availability, fitted windscreen, full cruise control, multiple leg comfort options attached to the crash bars, etc, etc - nearly all of which have to be sub-optimally added to the smaller bikes (IMHO).

Having said that, I absolutely loved the way the smaller bikes handled around the city. Easy low speed manoeuvres, very zippy handling, filtering galore - all add up to a great commuting bike. Without being condescending (because I love the Scouts/Bobbers), it honestly felt riding like a 500-600cc bike (in handling) - right up until you twist your right wrist - then she performs as an Indian should. I ride my SF in city traffic a lot and it is fine, but it isn’t as good as a Scout/Bobber in the city. I find that I just ride a bit more casually in the city, on the SF, because I feel I need to.

The Scouts/Bobbers are great bikes and there is no doubt that if the circumstances allowed (but they don't!), I would own both.

#16 ·
If you are long legged like me you might consider an Aeromach floorboard lowering kit which moves the boards lower and a bit more forward. The foot controls move with the floorboards on Indians.
I am sir. 36’ inseam. On my Scout, I have the extended controls , with the Kuryakyn floorboards at a slight tilt that gives me the slightest bend in my knees, but very comfortable I may add.

#19 ·
Really enjoyed this thread, I had a 2015 Scout that I sold because I wanted to do more highway riding and, to be honest, it kinds freaked me out getting pushed around on the highway lol Back in 2017, I took a SF out for a ride and at first I was intimadated coming from a Scout but by the end I was grinning Ike a fool lol I was super close to buying the SF but just couldn’t get used to all the chrome, I wanted the DH but in the SF, which they hadn’t released yet.

I ended up buying a 2013 Victory Hardball, which is a Cross Country and no fairing, blacked out and super sweet looking. It came stock with mini-apes, then wouldn’t you know it...2 weeks later they released the SFDH, I was peeved but the Vic was still a beauty. I spent 2 years, 4 handlebars later and some serious cash and I just could not get the Vic to fit me. It felt heavy, cumbersome and I really lacked the confidence to ride it. Ended up barely riding at all. Last month I finally gave up and sold the Vic.

So here I am, staring at a 2019 SFDH in smoke white with the dealer offering to take $6K off retail, essentially $21,999 Canadian. My only hesitation is not knowing if it will handle differently than the 2017 that I enjoyed, I noticed the handlebars are different so not sure how much that will change things. The front wheel is different as well but even with a bigger rim the lower profile tire is the same diameter etc, I’m thinking that shouldn’t make too much of a difference. Plus the fact that I just spent 2 years with my first big bike that I dropped once and couldn’t get confident on. Makes me a little apprehensive about trying again.

Then there’s my riding style, right now it’s mostly short day jaunts, a few hours here and there but I really would love to go on longer trips in the future, that’s been a dream of mine for some time. So I’m wondering, do I go back to the Scout which I loved cuz it was fun as all heck, or do I take the smoking deal on a big bike and be prepared for when I’m ready to do some motorcycle touring.

What’s a girl to do?? Lol Pics of my Vic HB, Scout, and SFDH I’m looking at 😊

#20 ·
Really enjoyed this thread, I had a 2015 Scout that I sold because I wanted to do more highway riding and, to be honest, it kinds freaked me out getting pushed around on the highway lol Back in 2017, I took a SF out for a ride and at first I was intimadated coming from a Scout but by the end I was grinning Ike a fool lol I was super close to buying the SF but just couldn’t get used to all the chrome, I wanted the DH but in the SF, which they hadn’t released yet.

I ended up buying a 2013 Victory Hardball, which is a Cross Country and no fairing, blacked out and super sweet looking. It came stock with mini-apes, then wouldn’t you know it...2 weeks later they released the SFDH, I was peeved but the Vic was still a beauty. I spent 2 years, 4 handlebars later and some serious cash and I just could not get the Vic to fit me. It felt heavy, cumbersome and I really lacked the confidence to ride it. Ended up barely riding at all. Last month I finally gave up and sold the Vic.

So here I am, staring at a 2019 SFDH in smoke white with the dealer offering to take $6K off retail, essentially $21,999 Canadian. My only hesitation is not knowing if it will handle differently than the 2017 that I enjoyed, I noticed the handlebars are different so not sure how much that will change things. The front wheel is different as well but even with a bigger rim the lower profile tire is the same diameter etc, I’m thinking that shouldn’t make too much of a difference. Plus the fact that I just spent 2 years with my first big bike that I dropped once and couldn’t get confident on. Makes me a little apprehensive about trying again.

Then there’s my riding style, right now it’s mostly short day jaunts, a few hours here and there but I really would love to go on longer trips in the future, that’s been a dream of mine for some time. So I’m wondering, do I go back to the Scout which I loved cuz it was fun as all heck, or do I take the smoking deal on a big bike and be prepared for when I’m ready to do some motorcycle touring.

What’s a girl to do?? Lol Pics of my Vic HB, Scout, and SFDH I’m looking at [emoji4]
View attachment 583476 View attachment 583477 View attachment 583478
I’d go for the SFDH, I went from a Vulcan 900 to the Springfield, no regrets whatsoever, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I ended up going with the SFDH...took it for a ride, went over some railroad tracks and didn't feel a thing lol I remember what the Scout felt like so right then I knew I didn't have to ride one :LOL: Super happy with my decision. I may need a seat or handlebars, get some between the shoulder blades burn when riding, but then again I'm still getting used to the ride and it could be I'm just handing on too tight lol a backrest is a must!!

#26 ·
I love the way my 2019 Springfield handles. I'm 5'2" and I had it lowered with the links and I also got a reduced reach seat. I going to try the stock bars for a bit longer. My dealer is going to replace them under warranty because the right side grip area is bent down too much and it makes my hand fall asleep. If this fix doesn't dial things in, then I'll add the reduced reach bars next. Enjoy you bike. I smile every time I go over railroad tracks, too. ;)

#30 ·
Having gone from a Chieftain to a Scout last fall then demo riding a Springfield Dark Horse this summer I can say the weight difference will be noticeable while stopped or for slow maneuvering. The ride comfort will be much better on the SF and the weight thing goes away once you're moving. It's a bigger longer bike so the turning radius will be bigger but the comfort will be the biggest plus for longer distance riding. The Scout is fun but it's not a long distance touring machine.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.