Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2014 when the Springfield first came out, I road my 2014 Road King to Crockett Powersports, great dealer BTW, to see and tryout the new Bike from Indian. Even did a write up back then. Really impressed with its low center of Gravity even both bikes weighed about the same. However in 2018 traded my RK for a Heritage Classic Softail 114 as it was not only lighter but seemingly also had a lower CG.

Any how after our move back west last December, I am now Jonesing big time for my next 'last' new Motorcycle as I'll be 78 next March.......Interested in a 116 Springfield. the closest dealers are either in El Paso, Tx or Albuquerque, NM.

Don't even know what they have in the way of 116 Springfields. Can some of you guys comment on the weight and how easy it is to handle like picking it off the side stand etc. The Road King was getting so that you had to be very careful when at a stop. The Springfield that I tried out back then was way lighter feeling that my RK. How does the Springfield compare to my HD Classic 114 in both power and lighter feeling? is the power about the same in both?

Thanks Guys.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,253 Posts
The only Springfield that has a factory 116 motor is the 2020 Springfield Dark Horse. I demoed one earlier a couple weeks ago. It handles nice, rides smoothly and the 116 has more bottom end torque than the 111 motor had. A real stump puller. My only problem was that the mini ape handlebars would need to be rotated backwards an inch or two for comfort. I'm guessing it would be 80 to 100 pounds heavier than your Heritage Classic but the low center of gravity makes it seem lighter than it really is.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I think that would be just right is the regular Springfield, but with the 116 motor and non valence front fender.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
You could by a older Springfield and tune the 111 motor as well as add pipes and intake and get a very powerful machine. Quicker than a stock 116. I ride a 2016 Springfield and love it. I constantly try new bikes but don't want to change. (I would steal a Challenger motor and drop it in my Springfield if I could.) I can help you or FuelMoto can help with this. There are several approaches.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could by a older Springfield and tune the 111 motor as well as add pipes and intake and get a very powerful machine. Quicker than a stock 116. I ride a 2016 Springfield and love it. I constantly try new bikes but don't want to change. (I would steal a Challenger motor and drop it in my Springfield if I could.) I can help you or FuelMoto can help with this. There are several approaches.

Thanks Marcus, not a bad idea at all. What year Springfield should I look for?????

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
The older Springfields came with more options. Each year Indian stripped off more and more. So older is better if it is low mileage. It is going to be cheaper. My bike has given me no problems at all but it might be good to get an extended warranty if you by from a dealer. Often they are over priced so shop on this also. The problem with shopping for a used Indian is you have to be willing to shop 500 miles away. There are not that many Indians for sale. If you are in a big city you probably can find one local. I personally prefer the way the Springfield handles and it feels less cramped. And for us old guys it is easy to wrestle around.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,253 Posts
Ironically the 2020 Dark Horse costs more than the regular Springfield which has more on it. The regular one still has the big valence skirted fender and all the chrome goodies. You can do a search on Cycle Trader for Indian Springfields both new & used as well as from whatever radius from your home you're willing to go for a bike.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the rough cost of having a 111 up dated to a 116. Have become addicted to the torque of my Heritage Classic 114 Softail with HD's torque cam and their ECU reflash.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased a 2016 Springfield with the Stage II kit and added the Fuelmoto PV3 tune. I have ridden several 2020 Indian models with the 216 motor {demo rides} and yes they are quick for a big V Twin but my opinion are not noticeably more powerful than my 2016 111 with the upgrades. Which one is actually faster/quicker I cannot say since I did not ride them back to back but you are splitting hairs, in my view there is not enough difference to justify thousands of dollars of higher cost. Only someone who invested in some serious aftermarket performance upgrades on any American made air colled V Twin {sans maybe a new HD CVO which is way more money} are going to be able to flat run off and leave you. You could look at the new Challenger but that is a whole different bike. I rode one of those as well and its allot quicker but just did not do it for me, it did not have that big air cooled motor feel/sound but it will out run/handle anything we are talking about.​

Now to be fair if you invested in the PV3 for the 216 and made similar intake and exhaust upgrades you would certainly be up a notch but that adds even more to the cost. SO if cost is a factor in your decision you have to factor that in... If not go for the 116 throw some cams/intake/exhaust at it and enjoy...

I also test rode several stock HD 2020 114 bikes and again did not notice a significant power gap one way or the other over what I ride today. Never rode a HD 114 with the CAMs and tune so cannot comment there.

My two cents..... and only one guys opinion ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good morning Old Timer,
Cycle trader is a good site to use and you can get it shipped very reasonable. As far as what years to look for in 2019 they did add rear cylinder deactivation and 3 ride modes. I purchased a used 2019 Springfield in Florida and had it shipped to Michigan for 600.00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts