Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting a tune on my 18 Chieftain that mimics the sport mode on the 19 models. I am excited but was wondering how aggressive it is. I won’t have the option of just getting in my ride command and switching to normal or tour mode. I’m sure it’s a great ride but realistically how is this mode? if I can’t switch it on or off, then I’m having second thoughts if i encounter rain or hazardous riding conditions. Should I just keep her at normal throttle response to be safer? Everybody loves a great ride but if you can’t turn it off, is it just better and (safer) to keep her in normal throttle response? What do you guys think??

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
No matter what the tune of your bike is if you're not altering your driving habits according to conditions that you're driving in you're already doing something wrong.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree 100% Tex. But if throttle response is very sensitive then maybe a slight increase in throttle either by stupidity or accident can cause a difference. That’s what I’m asking. Is it that sensitive??

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Change your bike's tune to suit conditions, or just cool it when it is raining! ;)

I agree, it is way too cumbersome to do a 20minute reflash every time you want to change... As compared to a simple squeeze of a trigger. You may do well to find a happy medium throttle response setting and keep it at that.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
In the past, I have had bikes that I have changed from one full turn for full throttle to 1/2 turn for full throttle and even had one that had 1/4 turn for full throttle.
The throttle response was easy to control with all the alterations to the throttle on all of them.
How it works with your new tune should not be any different.
But I would think that after some time with the new settings you should get pretty adept at using the new settings.
If it overpowers your abilities you can always have it re-tuned?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I only ride in sport mode, it is a bit touchy in the lower rpms, but you get use to it. I happen to exclusively ride in sport mode only, for it is the only thing that feels natural to me, if that makes any sense? The other modes give me a disconnected feeling to the bike.

·
Rider
853 Posts
I have mine in the middle setting.
Have used sport several times and like throttle response but keep going back to standard.
Its not a racing machine and to me this med setting works perfect and thats why I keep it there.
It will be a bear to some people to handle it when conditions demand it and they cant switch to a more docile throttle response.

·
Rider
568 Posts
I only ride in sport mode, it is a bit touchy in the lower rpms, but you get use to it. I happen to exclusively ride in sport mode only, for it is the only thing that feels natural to me, if that makes any sense? The other modes give me a disconnected feeling to the bike.
I know exactly what you mean about feeling disconnected. I have a 16 CDH and it has always felt that way to me. I went to a demo day about 4 months ago and rode a 19 Roadmaster with 111 and a Chieftain with the 116. On the 116 I found sport mode to be very twitchy, but LOVED it on the 111. I am planning on getting myself a PV3 for Christmas and remapping the throttle is what I am looking the most forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
671 Posts
I’m getting a tune on my 18 Chieftain that mimics the sport mode on the 19 models. I am excited but was wondering how aggressive it is. I won’t have the option of just getting in my ride command and switching to normal or tour mode. I’m sure it’s a great ride but realistically how is this mode? if I can’t switch it on or off, then I’m having second thoughts if i encounter rain or hazardous riding conditions. Should I just keep her at normal throttle response to be safer? Everybody loves a great ride but if you can’t turn it off, is it just better and (safer) to keep her in normal throttle response? What do you guys think??
I have sports mode 19 TBW flashed for 2nd gear and 3rd+ gear on my 2016 RM. I went back to standard mode on 1st gear - much better in start stop traffic for 1st gear

·
Registered
671 Posts
@joescian I didn't realize you could tune in this manner, It sounds like a nice combination. How is the drivability and what cams are in your bike?
Drivability is perfect - great for start stop in first and extremely sharp in every other gear with sports mode. I have stage 2 cams with Indian Stage 1 slippons and round high flow air filter.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Drivability is perfect - great for start stop in first and extremely sharp in every other gear with sports mode. I have stage 2 cams with Indian Stage 1 slippons and round high flow air filter.
You have a 1st gear and 2 matching ceiling tables for TBW. You also have a 2nd gear and 2 matching ceiling tables. Finally you have a table for 3rd + gear and 2 ceiling tables for 3+. Simple matter of using sports for 2nd and 3+ and standard for 1st gear.

·
Rider
739 Posts
I was wondering if you could adjust throttle input with a tuner...I learned something today! I like the throttle response of sport when I'm in middle and higher gears but it sucks for 1st gear or stop-and-go traffic...way too twitchy.

Looks like I'll be looking to modify my throttle response tables when I pick up a PV3

·
Registered
97 Posts
Has anyone had a '19 on a dyno to compare standard mode to sport mode. I can't believe that there is anymore power to be had in sport mode. If you turned the throttle fully in standard mode is'nt that the same as just cracking it in sport mode. Is it just an illusion of more power just because your not turning your wrist as far?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’ve used sport mode a couple of times around town, I find in parking lots and traffic a bit to sensitive, on a bumpy road you can get into a bucking motion do to slight movement of throttle but on smoother roads and running twisties it’s a lot of fun. I usually run in the standard mode as it has good response for slow speed riding and parking lots, and good acceleration onto highways and getting out of the way of cavers.

·
Rider
739 Posts
Has anyone had a '19 on a dyno to compare standard mode to sport mode. I can't believe that there is anymore power to be had in sport mode. If you turned the throttle fully in standard mode is'nt that the same as just cracking it in sport mode. Is it just an illusion of more power just because your not turning your wrist as far?
The ride modes do not change how much power the motor puts out. It affect part-throttle input so that you're ramping up the fuel/air mixture vs being "full power" at partial throttle. So yes, full throttle in sport, tour, or standard will produce the same amount of hp and torque.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I get that there is nothing inherently different in the engine, but when I have compared touring to sport mode, I cannot get the same response by just snapping open the throttle. Sport mode feels like a different bike and I really enjoy having the options. During my 25 mile commute I will routinely switch between two or all three modes depending on highway/street and traffic.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’ve used sport mode a couple of times around town, I find in parking lots and traffic a bit to sensitive, on a bumpy road you can get into a bucking motion do to slight movement of throttle
This is exactly how the throttle on my 19 Bobber is, though I have no standard/sport mode option. Even in 4th or 5th gear on a less than smooth road surface I get that "bucking" action due to the tiniest movement of the throttle... bugs the shit out of me!

·
Rider
739 Posts
I get that there is nothing inherently different in the engine, but when I have compared touring to sport mode, I cannot get the same response by just snapping open the throttle. Sport mode feels like a different bike and I really enjoy having the options. During my 25 mile commute I will routinely switch between two or all three modes depending on highway/street and traffic.
That’s the point of the modes, it provides a slower ramp up of fuel delivery. No matter how fast you crack the throttle in Tour or Standard it still restricts fuel delivery based on the throttle mapping in the ECU.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts