Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a little self-conscious about my pipes lately. They're kinda loud. I live in a fairly quiet suburban neighborhood and when I start it up in the morning, around 9 am, I feel like I'm pissing some people off as I most likely wake them up going down the street to the main exit. The pipes are not "lawnmower loud" as I call it, they are deep and tight rumble like a cigarette boat or something with a nice clickity click on the high end ...lots of splat.

I'm not too worried on the road because it's kinda par for the course these days with all the loud cars that are out there gunning it everywhere you go. I just wonder if I'm "that guy" and I really have no way of knowing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Part of me thinks if you're asking the question, there's your answer.

Most of me wonders how one arranges their life so they can start their bike up in the morning around 9AM.

·
Silver member
6,285 Posts
If your neighbors are still sleeping at 9am then they should be woken up. Who sleeps that late?...well of course; unless they work a night shift then you're a jerk....hahaha

Kidding aside; I sometimes start mine up before 7am and hope that i'm not waking anyone; but most neighbors wont say anything anyway.

But 9am - that's not early in my books. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Rider
946 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If no one has said anything or the cops have not been to talk to you then your ok. Just don't rap them on the way out or in. And since you are asking this question you most likely don't.

·
Bronze member
2,477 Posts
If you're setting off car alarms right and left then maybe. I used to think my bikes were either not loud enough or way too loud. Then I asked a buddy to take my bike for spin in a empty parking lot. As he went by gunning it I closed my eyes and listened....damn, that sounds good I thought. Worked for me, kept it loud, never thought about that again.

Reactions: sapient

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's good that you are concerned that the pipes might be disturbing your neighbors. If you know some of the people around you well, you might try just asking them if they find them to be too loud.

Understand that some people have less tolerance for motorcycle exhausts than others. I was riding on the Blue ridge Parkway last summer and went past a trail parking area where a lady put her hands over her ears as I was riding past. My bike is a Springfield with stock exhaust and I have never considered them to be excessively loud. I felt kinda bad because I don't want to be THAT guy.

·
Bronze member
1,213 Posts
Probably not. One bike going by slowly for a few seconds isn’t a big deal to me, and I like it quiet. It’s unreasonable to expect total silence.

People brapping hours per day, then yeah, douchey.

·
Bronze member
1,213 Posts
It's good that you are concerned that the pipes might be disturbing your neighbors. If you know some of the people around you well, you might try just asking them if they find them to be too loud.

Understand that some people have less tolerance for motorcycle exhausts than others. I was riding on the Blue ridge Parkway last summer and went past a trail parking area where a lady put her hands over her ears as I was riding past. My bike is a Springfield with stock exhaust and I have never considered them to be excessively loud. I felt kinda bad because I don't want to be THAT guy.
She was probably expecting it to be stupid loud, not reacting to you. Heck, I would likely do the same if very close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Had a guy purchase the home next to mine about year ago. He'd let his dog bark nonstop for hours day and night even after talking to him about it a few times. No problem, I just started going for midnoght rides and testing my Buffalo brand air horn around his house, funny the dog is gone. Loud pipes can be a good thing.

·
Registered
2018 Chieftain Limited. Hold my beer! I saw this in a cartoon....n
163 Posts
Did you buy your bike for you or your neighbors? It's your bike, if you like the sound level and tone that's all that matters. Your neighbors can just deal with it if it bothers them at 9a.m.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think by asking the question, you are already a courteous person. I live in an APT building and have vance and hines slash cuts on my Scout. If I really want to be respectful, i'll tip toe the bike towards the street and start it up there. Especially if it's before 7am. Getting home late, i'll cut the engine off and just coast to my spot if needed. Neighbors seem to be appreciative and that gives me courage to let her rip if it is midday :) . No complaints at all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn, some really good responses here. I 'm not alone in this (which I do already know, pretty much), and it's cool that others are considerate with this too - I mean, most of my neighbors are probably 70+ and I've been here for over 30 years. Not a good time to turn ******** of sure. Yes, no one has said anything, the time is very brief, I idle down the street, don't ride past 10 pm (yea, a non-night rider puss), plus other things to keep it as cool as I can. I'll see how it goes - like if a neighbor decides to stop me for a sec coming down the street, or I get a write-up at the homeowner's meeting. Yikes.

Thanks all.

@HiDesert
"
Part of me thinks if you're asking the question, there's your answer.

Most of me wonders how one arranges their life so they can start their bike up in the morning around 9AM. "

I do software programming for work at home and meet for our daily phone meeting at 10 am, usually in a park or somewhere nice I stop at. Not bad, huh? Lol. Wonder no more! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thinks it good on you or wondering. I have second stage pipes and they are kinda loud in my neighborhood. I start and go, no warm up in warm weather, I believe thats courteous. I doubt its a problem, considering my friend lived across the street and had Neighbor Haters on his Victory, lol. Compared to him, my noise is not a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been a little self-conscious about my pipes lately. They're kinda loud. I live in a fairly quiet suburban neighborhood and when I start it up in the morning, around 9 am, I feel like I'm pissing some people off as I most likely wake them up going down the street to the main exit. The pipes are not "lawnmower loud" as I call it, they are deep and tight rumble like a cigarette boat or something with a nice clickity click on the high end ...lots of splat.

I'm not too worried on the road because it's kinda par for the course these days with all the loud cars that are out there gunning it everywhere you go. I just wonder if I'm "that guy" and I really have no way of knowing.
The fact that you are conscious of being too loud is the best filter to have for your concern. I have a 16 chief with the OEM stage 2 exhaust/cam and a stripped 2-1 headpipe. I live in an HOA and asked my next-door neighbor about my potential nuisance. He replied with: "You have a bike?" I've come to the point where my bike can be loud under load. So I play it nice in the neighborhood, but diety help you if you're on the highway with me. I find it to be a good balance since I, a mechanical person, enjoy hearing/feeling how my bike is performing. Now I am considering the Basani true duals but that is because my autistic son's main trigger is loud noises (it's too loud when I start it inside the garage). The whole "too loud" question really depends on your environment (e.g. do you live near a Karen or congested neighborhood?) and application (e.g. do you have a heavy wrist? Got to let the neighbors you like to engine break at 5,000 RPMs like the 1200 Sportster in my neighborhood?)

In short, don't be like the episode on southpark and you should be good.

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts

You show some real class just being considerate of others and not wanting to be THAT GUY. As you can see, there are some who would rather just say "f*ck everyone else".
Why not ask your neighbors for honest opinions about what they're hearing when you go past? Tell 'em that you want the real deal, not just polite replies that they think you'll like.
After all, if you had a neighbor with a loud barking dog or a rooster that crowed at 5AM nearby, you can only hope that that person would respond as you would to a similar query. Good folks CAN be honest and accommodating.
In the mean time, ride out of the neighborhood without aggressive throttle or RPMs and hopefully they all appreciate your thoughtfulness.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts