Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did Indian build and test all those demo models without a massive media leak? And then they had a bunch of test review bikes and tour around bikes and nobody caught on? Is the Government involved? Is this a conspiracy to undermine our dependency on foreign bikes? Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
There was a picture and illustration of the new scout that was public for months before the unveiling. We just all thought it was a Victory!
When BMW test out a new model, they basically put a paper bag over it. Hide the tank and what not with cardboard or whatever it is. Then beemer forums are awash with rumors of a new engine and frame with a faux body work spotted carving twisties in the Alps. So maybe they stuck a boring teardrop tank and black seat on it and rode it round the Rockies pretending it was a Sportster. Squirt some oil on the asphalt when you park for lunch, Drop a couple bolts along the way.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Load up some bikes in a common Contract carrier tractor-trailer and ship them off to warehouse X, re-load into another truck/trailer Penske/U-haul or some personal vehicle nobody would expect would be associated with Indian and viola, stealth proving grounds transport, testing and photo-shoot sessions in locations unknown.

Another thing, Polaris/Victory/Indian have at their disposal, their very own assortment of 24/7 vehicle testing machines which comes out of
the automotive industry.

Also, due to it's modular design, it may have appeared radically different than the unveiled-demo-forthcoming production model as we know it.

Corporate Stealth Operations work like that.

What Mikehell said about the Assumed Victory pic/illustration, yes I had seen them. I have also seen articles that speculated the then "Mystery"
bike. Polaris had been working on the bike for some time. Some of the first bikes were probably produced before the 2013 unveiling of the Chief
at last year's Sturgis rally.

Look up Sun Tzu's "The Art Of War" and read the legendary treatise on war tactics. - Know that the Corporate and Political world
interprets and applies many of the concepts into their own business philosophies and strategies.

·
Founding Member
431 Posts
I did a survey several months ago via Victory about what I thought about a liquid cooled V-Twin engine. It had several drawings of how the cylinders would look and one of the selections is the Scout layout. I think that was the one I chose over the other designs. At the time I thought it would be a new Victory model and was surprised it turned out to be the Indian Scout.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

Abraham Lincoln

·
Registered
468 Posts
I did a survey several months ago via Victory about what I thought about a liquid cooled V-Twin engine. It had several drawings of how the cylinders would look and one of the selections is the Scout layout. I think that was the one I chose over the other designs. At the time I thought it would be a new Victory model and was surprised it turned out to be the Indian Scout.
I remember seeing a patent application drawing for the bike that would become the Scout. It was under the Victory name.
The Victory was it's cover story. - However, I've also read that Polaris had wanted to buy Indian as far back as 2000, so....
during all those years of waiting, Polaris would work on their preliminary designs and ideas for a new Indian anything official,
would be thought to be Victory. Meanwhile, they were clearly waiting for the opportunity for Indian to come up for grabs, and when it
did, they snapped it up. Good thing too, because I'm pretty sure had Harley thought to do so and actually bought it, Indian would have certainly been made a laughing stock or shelved, permanently.
Under Polaris' wing, Indian can once again soar to heights high above the HD.

They've got some brilliant minds over there at Polaris/Indian/Victory. I hope it dominantly stays that way 'til after my Great-grandkids are dead
and gone. I hope to see Indian take the world by storm. And the day comes that hardly no one doesn't know Indian Motorcycle Co.

All we can do is get behind the company and support it as best we can. Roll and grow with the punches.

For me, it's very exciting to watch.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I agree, I was shocked at how well the road master was laid out in such a short period of time, weather it's ideas were years in the making, or just those sharp minds moving at lightning speed. The accessories could use some of those clever minds in the supply chain department though,that area is not working so good, although at a guess, mid delivery supply chain issues may be at work as far as chromers and leather goes, so I heard.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Scott, that is basically a consequence of being new to an old "Icon" - there has to be tons of guesswork and second
guessing and reworking of ideas going on at Indian, all in the pursuit of perfection. - I am convinced Polaris/Indian/Victory
can produce some fabulous products. With regard to Indian, there has to be an intense amount of pressure not
to screw it up. They will probably go over their accessories thoroughly too until they find that right design that pleases
all the decision makers who then give it a green light for a go. When I saw the windscreens for the Chiefs, I thought
wow, those look great, too. - IMHO, IMC is very capable of building a high quality product. It's the cost cutting and "getting arrogant and proud" that IMC should ALWAYS stay away from - that's bad medicine and can bring the Co. to it's knees.

Public Relations:
Interactive Consumer Relations - Customer Feedback: would be a big plus. (however it can have a negative side too when many don't have their suggestion box ideas considered - Nobody can please everyone)

Customer Support: problem issues be rectified, parts etc.

Those are a couple of things that may need improvement - added due to observing some Victory customers
expressing their concerns.

Looking back, motorcycle companies, at one time, didn't have to provide a huge line of accessories for their bikes.
A lot of that was either aftermarket products or custom fabrication work. And to some extent, I think it should remain that way.
However, the mc manufacturing business is obviously cutthroat like it has always been. Nowadays, bikes have all these
bells and whistles that were once aftermarket novelties as standard equipment. - This situation kinda forces such
excesses on to the consumer who wants the bike but not necessarily all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, they
are forced to buy them because the company found that it was cheaper to include them and remain competitive.

If the product is added as an accessory, it's extra cost. And pricey. - Company takes risks in investing $$$ in this
side of the business and find nobody wants them, they end up eating the cost or they raise the price of their bikes
to recover expenses.
As you can imagine... It's a crazy and mean world out there.

·
Registered
355 Posts
and I think Polaris actually listens to customer's comments. I made a few while at Spirit Lake on my Vic Vision and lo and behold they incorporated the same ideas on the Roadmaster, hmmmm?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts