Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking street tires would make it handle better.
Is it more comfortable than a scout?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The FTR is a piece of shit as a commuter without an aftermarket tune. Even then, it's buggy. Yo-yoing down the street like a see-saw... occasional kick in the ass as it tries to save itself from stalling, and stalling at idle at traffic lights which is dangerous as you are about to turn left in front of oncoming traffic. On the bright side, it handles great! The ergonomics for me are excellent. The stock tires aren't too bad, unless you are riding on grooved pavement when they feel squirrely as hell, but still safe. I'm in the process of testing new tunes these days, getting it to be the bike that Indian should have made. Not holding my breath though. I'm going to sell it soon. 1200 miles. If you haven't got an FTR yet, don't get one!

·
Bronze member
1,414 Posts
Op, comfort is based on what you feel is comfortable. The seating position on the scout and other cruisers isn’t comfortable to me.

I prefer the seating position of sport touring and naked bikes, which the ftr has.

No pressure on your tail bone or palms of your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
It’s great as a commuter. Easily zips in and out of traffic, and when you’re not giving it the beans it actually gets great gas mileage. But you are correct, the street tires make it a bit more comfortable.
I'm getting 37 mpg (us), or 6.9 litres/100km

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had a Scout 69 and it worked fine for a commuting, put about $2K in it to make it really ride-able (Traxxion front shocks and rear rebuilds). 5k miles latter sold it, just did not scratch the itch...

I really like my FTR (had it for a little over a year), fits in between my Motus and Roadmaster. I use my FTR for commuting to work in nice weather both summer and winter. I still have the stock tune running with no problems except it will die if you try to drive off before it warms up to around 130F, heck I have even grown to like the stock tires, they hang on well for what I thought would be bad design. Best advice I can give you is go ride one as everybody likes something different. So take in what you see here but decide for yourself.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Best advice I can give you is go ride one as everybody likes something different. So take in what you see here but decide for yourself.
This is good advice no matter what. For example, I test rode a 2020 Triumph Rocket 3. I'm smitten.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I test rode a 2020 Triumph Rocket 3. I'm smitten.
I test rode a Rocket III Roadster few year back and could not like it no matter what. Maybe the 2020 would be different...

·
Registered
51 Posts
My other bike is a 'busa, which is not a good commuter (or any other clip-on equipped sport bike).

The FTR rocks in traffic. You are upright, can easily turn your head to check traffic (being more upright), has great low end and throttle response to squirt where you have to in gaps.

·
Rider
697 Posts
I'm getting 37 mpg (us), or 6.9 litres/100km
Mpg gets better with mileage. I recognize @murr2k has a poor example of an FTR. As noted, I think it has hardware issues.

I use mine as a commuter. Average 40 mpg or so. I have the OEM update and it runs well, understanding that this is not the same as an aftermarket tune, which I am not going to do. Freeway speeds with cruise control, along with the stellar riding position, makes 200 mile days easy. I say go for it!

·
Rider
654 Posts
Thought this was a commuting thread? Triumph Rocket 3 not even worth a mention! 🤣 Be serious. It would be like using an oil tanker as a leisure craft in a small marina!!!!

Dependent on whether it is allowed where you live the FTR sits you much higher than a Scout and is much better in the ergonomics category for lane splitting/getting through heavy traffic as you can see so much more. There are naturally two sides to every coin. Murr's experience along with another FTR owner 'Snoop' who only posted today "......the bike is mostly a poor running motorcycle compared to anything I've ever rode Polaris successively made a low powered turd" are certainly in the minority. Both bikes have been messed with in the pursuit of 'Tuning Nirvana' and both run badly....read into that what you will. It was only 8 months ago Snoop was stating his bike ran well after tuning??? Murr I've got the message you're unhappy and yes lashing out on a Triumph Rocket 3. Sorry Buddy but the deal can't happen quick enough now. Close the door quietly on your way out please!
I find mine a great all rounder both for commuting and for longer haul journeys the longest being 570 miles and 13 hours in the saddle in a single day. Mine is definitely a keeper. Go ride one for yourself and make your own well-balanced and reasoned assessment instead of listening to the ramblings on here (my own included) is the best way. Good luck! (y)

·
Registered
182 Posts
It’s great as a commuter. Easily zips in and out of traffic, and when you’re not giving it the beans it actually gets great gas mileage. But you are correct, the street tires make it a bit more comfortable.
Agree with everything said here, although I don’t mind the stock tires. I’m lucky I guess, mostly back roads on my commute. Crappy broken asphalt, but still backroads. Probably the best commuter bike I’ve owned. The only one that came close was my old R1200GS Adventure, but that was for a 130 mile round trip commute on 4 lane US highways.

·
Rider
654 Posts
I'm with VollnGa about the OEM tires, I don't mind them either although I am eating through it at a faster rate now! Will try something else next time round but wear 'em out first.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I traded a Scout in on my FTR.... I loved the Scout, but didn't have room for both.... I am a flat track freak, so the FTR is definitely my thing.... What kind of commuting are you doing ???? If it's laid back and relaxed highway stuff-- I would probably chose the Scout.... If you are doing city/road warrior stuff with typical shitty USA roads-- I would definitely want to be on the FTR-- point and squirt !!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thought this was a commuting thread? Triumph Rocket 3 not even worth a mention! 🤣 Be serious. It would be like using an oil tanker as a leisure craft in a small marina!!!!
Not even! When I first rode the FTR, it felt surprisingly light nimble. It still feels that way. That's one of the best things about it, the handling. When I tried the Rocket, same thing! Suprisingly light and nimble. You haven't ridden one?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts