Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day began with pea soup fog.
Now, you ain't see fog till you seen South Louisiana bayou fog.

We all met at Performance Powersports in Houma, Louisiana on Saturday 12/6/14 for our inaugural ride for Southern Bayou Riders....our new Indian Owners Group.

I can't begin to list names but I can tell ya that everyone there had more teeth than me. They was all grinnin like a mule eating briar, happy to be there and very friendly. Instead of paying attention to names, I was busy thinking of the next lie I was gonna tell em.

Just imagine 8 Indians being cut loose to go on the warpath down here in the swamps...man, did we turn some heads.

We was supposed to do the kick stand up thing for 9:30 but ya know how we are...off to a late start. That's probably a good thing too. By the time we rolled out the fog had lifted to a battleship grey sky and a light breeze.

Thundering through the cane fields and bayous, I'm lost like hell and just following the tail light in front of me. We come up on this huge bridge over the Mississippi River....The Sunshine Bridge.....Let me tell you one damn thing, If I never have to go over that bridge again, it will be too soon.

We had to stop at the foot of this bridge, like it was our last chance to change our minds...like, do you really want to do this? Before I could chicken out...away we went. There were tarps hanging from this bridge as they were in the process of sandblasting and painting it. I had on my sunglasses cause I'm cool. Once I got up there, it was darker than the devils heart. I couldn't see anything, as in totally blind. I stuck my feet out to each side and when my boot hit the guard rail then I whipped the bars to the other side....I went through that bridge like a pin ball, bounding from one guard rail to the other. I was so scared I thought I was gonna puke...but I had a couple of bikes behind me...so I stifled the urge.

We met up with another couple and headed over to where we was gonna eat lunch. By now the sky was churning as the ceiling lowered. Like we were submerged in a cool electric gumbo, tingly and wet, that feeling you get just before ya get struck by lightening. Then a few rain drops. Then a light mist. And finally a cow on a flat rock. We were about 5 minutes out from the chow stop too....dang it.

I guess it must have been majestic to see us roll onto the parking lot. I know I sure as hell was impressed. Dripping wet and leaving puddles where we were standing. They seated us, right out there with the general population. What a feast!

As soon as we finished eating, I peeled off from the group to head back to New Orleans. The temps were dropping from the approaching cold front and I was soaked to the bone.

I had a great time and look forward to doing it again soon.

I hope the pictures post up....
IMG_0785.JPG
IMG_0783.JPG

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the leathers still ok?
I kid about it but if I could chose the perfect conditions to take a visitor into the swamp for a tour?
It would be a morning like I am describing.
Spooky and eerie.

All of the highways are elevated down there because the ground, what little there is of it, is like a marshmallow.
So you glide along, looking over into the cypress trees with the moss hanging from the limbs.
Your mind can easily drift down to imagine the alligators silently slipping through the murky waters below.

Riding down through there on a clear full moon night is spiritual too.
Only I won't go into the swamps at night without my Rosary around my neck.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great story, hopefully come spring we can create a group here in southern CO.
I hope so Caveman.
This is my second Indian gathering that I've attended.
You know how everyone is when just one Indian makes the set.....imagine 8 or 10!

As we were leaving the restaurant some Harley people were coming in.
We exchanged pleasantries..."making nice" like we say here.....One lady kept asking questions about the Indians. She went on and on about how beautiful they were. I thought her husband was gonna elbow her in the ribs. If she gets her way, and she did look like a woman that knows how to get her way, I would not be surprised to see them on an Indian in the near future!

We did pass a good time!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Big Daddy
One of my Army buddies & I was riding through the southern route in Louisiana. He told me if you just happen to ride off the rode into the swamp don't worry they will find the bike. He smiled stated you on the other hand will not have to worry about your family wasting money on your burial. Sure makes you keep your eyes on the rode!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Daddy
One of my Army buddies & I was riding through the southern route in Louisiana. He told me if you just happen to ride off the rode into the swamp don't worry they will find the bike. He smiled stated you on the other hand will not have to worry about your family wasting money on your burial. Sure makes you keep your eyes on the rode!
Check this out....
Rougarou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cajun mommas would sit by the fire and tell their babies these tales.
It was their way of keeping them inside at night.
I know this sounds crazy but I have lost count of the people I have met here who are actually scared of the dark.
Imagine a grown man telling you simply and matter of factually that they won't go outside at night.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I don't like riding through the southern part of Texas or Louisiana at night. At least in CO the deer will try to avoid you. The gators just lay on the warm road waiting for the first rider to come along. They smile when they see the single head light and say
"Here comes dinner"

·
Registered
638 Posts
I see 4 happy guys, 2 growlers and 2 guys told the gator stories as kids. Second from left must have had an especially convincing momma. Sounds like a great ride so keep having fun.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see 4 happy guys, 2 growlers and 2 guys told the gator stories as kids. Second from left must have had an especially convincing momma. Sounds like a great ride so keep having fun.
I was gonna smile but at the last second I remembered my teeth were still in my pocket.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Wish we could still ride up here but really looking forward to the Spring. Just had my teeth repaired lol! There really is nothing like a bunch of Indians. I'll never forget trying to keep up with a 1936 flamer this past summer on the way to Springfield. How they do the suicide shifting is too much for me but fun as heck to watch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The day began with pea soup fog.
Now, you ain't see fog till you seen South Louisiana bayou fog.

We all met at Performance Powersports in Houma, Louisiana on Saturday 12/6/14 for our inaugural ride for Southern Bayou Riders....our new Indian Owners Group.

I can't begin to list names but I can tell ya that everyone there had more teeth than me. They was all grinnin like a mule eating briar, happy to be there and very friendly. Instead of paying attention to names, I was busy thinking of the next lie I was gonna tell em.

Just imagine 8 Indians being cut loose to go on the warpath down here in the swamps...man, did we turn some heads.

We was supposed to do the kick stand up thing for 9:30 but ya know how we are...off to a late start. That's probably a good thing too. By the time we rolled out the fog had lifted to a battleship grey sky and a light breeze.

Thundering through the cane fields and bayous, I'm lost like hell and just following the tail light in front of me. We come up on this huge bridge over the Mississippi River....The Sunshine Bridge.....Let me tell you one damn thing, If I never have to go over that bridge again, it will be too soon.

We had to stop at the foot of this bridge, like it was our last chance to change our minds...like, do you really want to do this? Before I could chicken out...away we went. There were tarps hanging from this bridge as they were in the process of sandblasting and painting it. I had on my sunglasses cause I'm cool. Once I got up there, it was darker than the devils heart. I couldn't see anything, as in totally blind. I stuck my feet out to each side and when my boot hit the guard rail then I whipped the bars to the other side....I went through that bridge like a pin ball, bounding from one guard rail to the other. I was so scared I thought I was gonna puke...but I had a couple of bikes behind me...so I stifled the urge.

We met up with another couple and headed over to where we was gonna eat lunch. By now the sky was churning as the ceiling lowered. Like we were submerged in a cool electric gumbo, tingly and wet, that feeling you get just before ya get struck by lightening. Then a few rain drops. Then a light mist. And finally a cow on a flat rock. We were about 5 minutes out from the chow stop too....dang it.

I guess it must have been majestic to see us roll onto the parking lot. I know I sure as hell was impressed. Dripping wet and leaving puddles where we were standing. They seated us, right out there with the general population. What a feast!

As soon as we finished eating, I peeled off from the group to head back to New Orleans. The temps were dropping from the approaching cold front and I was soaked to the bone.

I had a great time and look forward to doing it again soon.

I hope the pictures post up.... View attachment 3753 View attachment 3754

Big Daddy
Great write up. I look forward to riding with you again. We certainly turned some heads

1 - 14 of 14 Posts