Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Las Vegas this weekend from Inland Empire (Riverside, CA ) area, to make the 237 miles ride North on the 15... with a expectant high 95 degrees. We can't leave earlier or later, and we will me heading into it about noon with a 4:00pm arrival time.

Whats the hottest you have ridden in and how far did you ride in it?

Any tips for staying cool on the Highway....

Thanks fam....

·
Founding member
875 Posts
I've ridden in 100+ for about 3 hrs... No problems for the bike and to stay cool we just kept riding and using wet bandanas around the neck and inside the shirt... Long sleeves but light top. My Mrs would rotate the bandanas in a cooler with cold water...

As long as we were riding, Life was Good... Sitting while getting fuel was actually the worst part.

·
Founding member
645 Posts
Breathable clothing and lots of water. I've been out in about 109 deg, not bad when moving as mentioned, but when stopped, man it was toasty.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Evaporative cooling vest will be great for keeping your core temperature down. I paid 40 for mine a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Major points have been hit already so I'll just add: don't forget sunscreen. That 60-80mph breeze can be deceiving. Stopped for gas on a 3hr ride and only then realized I was burnt.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Heading to Las Vegas this weekend from Inland Empire (Riverside, CA ) area, to make the 237 miles ride North on the 15... with a expectant high 95 degrees. We can't leave earlier or later, and we will me heading into it about noon with a 4:00pm arrival time.

Thanks fam....
While your up that way the Laughlin River Run starts Thursday. Short run from Vegas.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Your F-150....;)
I’ve done it off and on for the last 20 years..
All I can say about it regardless of what you do.. It’s more of a endurance contest then fun.
Once the air temp is above your body temp there is no wind chill factor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Riding in Louisiana or anywhere in the south in the summer is HOT!! Typically, I try not to ride in mid afternoon but the key is to STAY MOVING. If I'm on the road for a long period of time, I'll stop at stores along the road every hour or so and hope they have a beer cooler to stand in for a few minutes. I love those stores!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,957 Posts
114 road temp. Poured a bottle of water all over my shirt and keep going. It gets HOT in Okla.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Last June, heading home from Sunset Beach, across the desert through Vegas into St. George, UT - anywhere from 103 to 115 ...

Evaporative vest, cooling towel on neck, sunscreen, and use a hydration pack. Plenty of stops for water.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If I am going to be out in hot weather, I will wear a motorsports jersey. Long sleeves to keep the sun off, and it flows a TON of air. You can find them on clearance at cyclegear sometimes.

·
Registered
569 Posts
105 TO 108 degrees to from Albuquerque Indian to my house 180 miles each way and back in same day...wore a wet vest and stopped every 80 miles to re soak the vest and it worked well. These vests well worth having IMHO.

·
Rider
365 Posts
Just remember, exposed skin moving through hot dry air will dehydrate you very quickly. You will need more water than if you were, say, playing golf. White long sleeves are the way to go.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts

Thanks fam....
107° WITH 82% Humidity. About 3 hours. My memory of that day is a little fuzzy. Lol!

·
3,664 Posts
Staying hydrated is number one. Drink plenty of water, alcoholic beverages make dehydration worse and so does caffeine. Wet vests or just soaking down your tee shirt will cool you by evaporation from the wind hitting the wet layer. If it's sunny use plenty of sun screen to protect your skin.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ya ever notice Arabs wear lots of clothing in the desert? Layers. Sweat is your friend. As long as you're moving you'll be fine. When you stop for fuel is a different story. When riding in 100 degree heat and stopping for fuel I would grab a bag of ice, lay it on the seat for a few mins to cool off the riding perch. Dry it off and roll. Lastly, Gold Bond power for the tackle.

·
3,664 Posts
Loose fitting light color or white clothing helps on a hot sunny day. Light color mesh outer wear might help with ventilating to help perspiration cooling while protecting your skin from the sun.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
In the late 70s, I rode my Honda Hawk 400 from San Diego to St Louis (1850 miles) in under 40 hours. I came the southern route across the desert then up acrossed White Sands Missile Range to Amarillo.

My young dumb ass wore shorts and a muscle shirt. I got so burnt. Especially on my shoulders and arms. I still have a scar about the size of a silver dollar on my left arm.

I would suggest you cover all exposed skin in light weight, light colored clothing. Take some shady breaks and stay hydrated.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts