Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, you've got a 90 minute ride ahead of you. It's 95 degrees, and 15% humidity. You'll be wearing a mesh jacket with a cooling towel under it, mesh gloves, and a full face helmet with decent but not great vents. You're well hydrated. You can take one of these two bikes:

That's full fairing and stock windshield. Or this:

Which one do you take?

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I was younger, I thought a fairing was the worst thing ever...until I got a bike with one. I'm a fairing all the way guy now, even in the heat. By the way, last week I was in 104 deg heat west of San Antonio in Texas Hill Country and really only wanted to avoid stopping!!! Unfortunately, one day I was stuck in rush hour stop/go traffic for about 40 minutes...no good...at all...

·
Rider
1,224 Posts
Okay, so I've got a 90 minute ride and it's 95º with 15% humidity (first, that's lovely weather, we never get humidity that low except in the winter) and I'll be wearing the sleeveless t-shirt, fingerless gloves, a carbon fiber half helmet and Margarita boat shoes. I'll be taking the DH Chieftain . . .

BD

·
Bronze Member
1,660 Posts
I always used to say that fairings were for pu**ies. All the old timers never had fairings, why should I?

One year when we rode to Sturgis and it was hot. We fought a 30 mph wind out of the southwest all the way there. Cupped my new tires real good. On the way home we fought a 35 mph wind out of the southeast. At least i cupped them on both sides. I pulled into the garage and told my wife "Okay, I'm a pu**y. I bought a windshield a couple of days later. The only bike that I ride down the highway without one now is my bobber.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I‘ve never had a faring. But I have a Vintage with a removable windshield and a convertible car. So far, I much prefer the Vintage without the windshield. Maybe I’ll appreciate the windshield more in the winter. But right now I enjoy having the wind. Plus the windshield seems to lessen the ride quality a little. Seems to feel more choppy depending on how windy the weather is and what direction the wind is blowing. I imagine a proper faring would feel less choppy and more like the convertible car. Probably more bearable further into the cooler seasons. But, again, I like the wind when it isn’t freezing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Me again... I’m just brainstorming more on the helmet part of the equation. I, too, use a full-face, vented helmet. When I used an open helmet, the high winds could get distracting because I always felt i had to point my head Into the wind to keep my helmet from blowing away. So maybe with that setup, I would prefer a faring. But with my full-face helmet, I feel much more aerodynamic and slice right through the air without being bothered by it.

makes me think maybe I should try the windshield on with the open helmet and see how I like the combination. I haven’t tried that yet.

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
Full fairings are great in cold temps,foul weather,and the winter months.I know cause I owned three of em,driving em right thru the winter months,the coldest being -25*.But for all other riding,I'll take just a removeable windscreen!! Why?? Cause most windscreens can be easily removed for repair and or service work,yet still offer decent protection from the elements in cold and foul weather.

Regarding the full fairing machines:If ya have to work on one of these
full fairing machines,9 outta 10 times,the fairing has to be removed to get at something,which too many times is quite a job.So thank you,but no thank you regarding full fairing bikes.I don't want another one.

·
Rider
943 Posts
Fairing always I enjoy the protection, music, and the Ride Command.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Full fairings are great in cold temps,foul weather,and the winter months.I know cause I owned three of em,driving em right thru the winter months,the coldest being -25*.But for all other riding,I'll take just a removeable windscreen!! Why?? Cause most windscreens can be easily removed for repair and or service work,yet still offer decent protection from the elements in cold and foul weather.

Regarding the full fairing machines:If ya have to work on one of these
full fairing machines,9 outta 10 times,the fairing has to be removed to get at something,which too many times is quite a job.So thank you,but no thank you regarding full fairing bikes.I don't want another one.
I do about 90% of my own work on my bike, unless it is something covered under warranty, or something that I don't have the tools to do. The only time that I have ever had to remove the outer fairing from my Roadmaster was to install the Kuryakyn tie-down anchors on the forks. Everything else that I have done, to include installing my camera system, Rox Risers, mid-rise bars, going back to stock bars with the Risers, touring console, and JW Speaker headlight, the fairing remained on.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I started touring in 82 and bought my first of many baggers since then. A fairing and windshield for me always. Although it’s really great now that I can push a button and drop it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the adjustability is a fantastic feature. It's amazing how often a half inch or one inch adjustment makes a big difference!

Reactions: New York Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you say 15% humidity? Ha ha ha. I'll take 103° in Tuscon ANY day over 85° and 90% humidity in Minnesota. On a serious note though, once the air is above body temp, the fairing is the advantage. Just like wind chill factor in the winter, the more the air hits you when its above your body temp, the faster it heats it the skin, which transfers to the blood, yada yada.

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
I do about 90% of my own work on my bike, unless it is something covered under warranty, or something that I don't have the tools to do. The only time that I have ever had to remove the outer fairing from my Roadmaster was to install the Kuryakyn tie-down anchors on the forks. Everything else that I have done, to include installing my camera system, Rox Risers, mid-rise bars, going back to stock bars with the Risers, touring console, and JW Speaker headlight, the fairing remained on.

I do it all,but too many times,I have had to remove the fairing just to get at something,that would have ben a simple fix had it not been for the fairing.But I do understand where you're coming from!!(y)

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
921 Posts
I've been riding all my life and I've never had a faring bike because I'm guessing it would be a pain to take that faring off during the summer. I now ride a 14 Classic, which I bought new almost 7 years ago, and as normal this time of the year the windshield is off. The OP's example doesn't fit down here in SW Florida, our normal summer days are 90-95 with 90% humidity. Much more pleasant to feel the air. Whenever we stop it's real nice under the shade because of the sea breeze. Of course, it's a bittch when it rains, but you learn to ride around the storms so I rarely ever get wet.

I hardly ever wear a helmet, not important to me what others think (I guess it's my background), wrangler jeans, cut off t-shirt, tennis shoes during the summer, boots in winter. If I wear a vest it's denim, much cooler in the summer. When it gets way down into the low 70's on goes my 25-year-old brown leather jacket. Down here in laid back Florida this is kind of the normal uniform, of course the beemer, wing, and the crotch rocket crowd are fully covered head to toe with full helmets. Just saying.

Reactions: Kost and Davetac1

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
@2Cool lol nowadays we just hit the button and get all that fresh air ! No more windshield on windshield off ;) summer time jeans logger boots and a ****-T my daily attire everyday

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
921 Posts
Hey NY, how are you doing brother. I haven't seen any of your posts in awhile - glad to know you're still there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This thread inspired me to do some experimenting. What I’ve figured out is that the configuration I prefer depends on what I’m wearing.

I’ve been wearing a mesh jacket and full-face helmet. And riding this way, I prefer my Vintage without the windshield. The mesh jacket already eliminates the wind burn so the windshield is redundant. It also lessens visibility and makes the ride a little more choppy.

But then I tried wearing only a loose t-shirt and open helmet. Riding this way, I can appreciate the benefit of the windshield. Especially since the t-shirt was flapping against my skin.

I imagine a proper faring would ride less choppy than a windshield. But I think I’d still prefer the open view and breeze without it if I had a good mesh jacket to stop the burn.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts