Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have located two connectors so far, one inside the fairing, and the other by the battery. They are both the same grey looking wire and black wire with a male end plastic connector on it. I see the grey wire comes on with the power on button. And I have already tapped in to it (since it seems I can't find a 2 wire female connector to fit But I'm looking for a way to wire my wiring harness on/off switch to come on and go off with the power button. So if I forget to turn off my additional lights I want to hook up to this wiring harness, they won't be left on. In addition, I also don't want the little green/red on off indicator on the switch to be illuminated when it's turned off, too.

I have installed a fuse block that is already hooked up to the + and - from the battery. My paper plan seems to me is all I need to do is attach the switch wire to the power on wire. Is there a direct ignition wire somewhere? I was thinking about the possibility of a fuse tap to the fuse in the fuse box for that purpose. I have a front and back camera system that I have wired in that is up and running attached to the fuse block and tapped in to that grey wire by the battery so it goes off when the bike does. I just need to run all the wires and get them shored up and hidden. And some additional front facing LED lights I mounted on the fender bolts are up and running to that grey wire in the fairing.

I have been searching for a wiring diagram but have had no luck so far. If anyone has any recommendation to get power, it's on a 2019 Roadmaster.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
Here's a link to the service manual. The wiring diagrams are in there. This is from 2017 and while most things stay the same, there are sometimes changes from year to year.

The blue connector under the seat is an ignition-on supply. On your bike it might be used for the heated seat, but will give you an idea of where to hook up to.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll revisit and check it out! Thanks a bunch! I was trying to find some power to the heated seat connector too, but I was having a hard time getting my little indicator light to pop on with the tiny openings. I'll double check that too and try more grounding options but I'm not sure if any of the connectors get power going through them if it's disconnected from the seat? I have the trunk and seat off for my plan. Pics when it's done.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
This is a common voltage finder pen. The needle is very sharp - clip to the frame and stab the needle through the insulation. The light comes on if you hit a 12v wire. The insulation will close over when you take the needle out.

1592556584000.png
Click the image to enlarge.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one of those finders that I have been using and the light comes on when I touch it right lol. As a sure fire test the clamp to neg and pen tip to pos on my fuse block (since the battery terminals are all covered up by stuff). But I have been having some trouble getting any readings on the seat plug in. I don't know if it gets power to the plug if it is not plugged in to complete a circuit? Right now the seat is off, and the seat plug is unplugged. I touch what looks to be the little metal connectors on the plug but I got nothing with the power on to the bike. So I don't know whats going on with it. The heated seats worked before I took the seat off. I accidentally had them on and was wondering why my butt was so warm. So I'm still confused about why my light won't light up when I touch one of those little metal pin connectors on the open face of the seat plug. I guess I'm frustrated enough I'll just wire up the harness and hope I never forget to turn off my switch for those lights.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
The power wire to the connector should have 12v even with the seat unplugged. If it doesn't, it means a fuse has probably blown. The power wire will be colored and the ground wire will be black or black with gray stripe.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea thats what I was thinking. I can't think of anything I've done to it yet that you'd think would make a fuse pop besides unplugging it from the seat to remove it. I got more checking to do. No time right now unfortunately sad to see it sit while I have it taken apart since I'd much rather be riding it! 12 hour days don't leave much time for anything else but commute and sleep, unfortunately. Thanks for your input and hope its an easy fix.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got everything pretty much wired in to my liking for now. New air horn, riding lights mounted to the highway bars and my cameras. The only thing I did not get done which I think is one of the most important is the P3 tail lights I have. I can't get my arm up in the fender high enough to reach the top bolt of the tail light assembly to remove it to access the wires to splice it in. Those little screw things on the inside at the base of the fender I don't understand at all. Tore my arm up trying to squeeze it up in there to reach it, to no avail. Gonna hope my buddy can come by in a couple days to get in there, he can reach it. Then I'll maybe just have to wait for xmas for exhaust. I'd also like to get those Kury chrome strips that stick on the rear fenders. And I don't really like the stock look of the tail lights, maybe try to find some different either plastic cap if it comes off, or better looking unit. They are bright enough but I just think they look ugly and should be a nicer looking design. Maybe they could have made them like the war bonnet on the front fender and made them to fit the rear as LED turn signals that would have been cool. I'll have to get some pics tomorrow in the daylight and see how all these lights are looking hooked up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the lights mounted in the front. A little cockeyed I still need to tweak the angles but they are there. The lower LEDs I mounted are from Skene Design. I wired them to the brake wire so when I tap either break or a combo thereof twice within a second, they will produce a flashing pattern to be more noticeable by traffic. I have the P3 tail lights to go on, I need to get someone to help get the bolt off so I can wire them in to the rear.

The extra LEDs on the highway bars are from Diode Dynamics. Just mounted it regular to the fuse block so I have to make sure to turn them off when I'm done, or else lol. I tried to get a closer up pic of the way I mounted it with a 1 1/4 inch exhaust U bolt clamp and a piece of flat aluminum. I took off about a half inch of the threads on the U bolt clamp so it wouldn't hit the plastic leg fairing. It was super bright and the last pic was a little blurry, but can still see how its set up.

Reactions: Demolition Man
1 - 9 of 9 Posts