Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed tonight after a wonderful 74 degree ride today that my right boot, inside near the heel, there is a mildly burned spot about the size of a silver dollar. :mad:

Anyone else having heating problems on the footwear?

These are not inexpensive boots and it really surprised me that the leather is damaged but not totally compromised "Yet"!
Apparently there are some issues with the heat shield if it is burning my boot?

What can I do to insulate the shield further?

Should I wrap the pipe inside the heat shield?
This could be a major problem on a much longer trip!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I just noticed tonight after a wonderful 74 degree ride today that my right boot, inside near the heel, there is a mildly burned spot about the size of a silver dollar. :mad:

These are not inexpensive boots and it really surprised me that the leather is damaged but not totally compromised "Yet"!

600 miles no issues. Will do 160 tomorrow in 70's and will pay attention to boot position and any potential problems.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RB, did I read where you put foot boards on your bike ?
No, it wasn't me, although I have read about several that have, I have not paid much attention to them because it just isn't something I wanted to do to mine.

I realize that It just may be the particular position the bike puts me in personally, that is causing my boot to stay in contact with the heat shield!
I was thinking of putting some exhaust wrap behind the heat shield in the area where my boot contacts it!

although I wouldn't mind putting another set of Rat Trap pegs on the Scout like I put on the Honda Phantom back in 2011! :)
Foot peg install 009.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

No probs for me :)

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your Feet are just too Damn Big RB !! :D

I think your right, I have a 10-1/2 5EEEEE boot :D and today on a trip that covered slightly more than a hundred miles I got to watching how I rested my feet on the pegs going down the road and I kept looking down time after time and would find the heel solid against the heat shield!

It is just the way that I sit the bike and I guess I will just have to live with it or come up with a "Farkle" that will correct my "Angle of Dangle" of my foot relationship to the right side peg! LOL!

·
Aspire to inspire before you expire
191 Posts
You might try a heel guard for the floorboard. This site: Heel Guard has some for the Indians about 2/3 of the way down the page.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might try a heel guard for the floorboard. This site: Heel Guard has some for the Indians about 2/3 of the way down the page.

Awesome man... I don't have floor boards, but it did give me a multitude of ideas! Thanks! :D:D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
No, it wasn't me, although I have read about several that have, I have not paid much attention to them because it just isn't something I wanted to do to mine.

I realize that It just may be the particular position the bike puts me in personally, that is causing my boot to stay in contact with the heat shield!
I was thinking of putting some exhaust wrap behind the heat shield in the area where my boot contacts it!

although I wouldn't mind putting another set of Rat Trap pegs on the Scout like I put on the Honda Phantom back in 2011! :)
View attachment 5809

Over the 150 mile ride I did today I noticed that occasionally my right boot heal would hit, and sometimes rest against the exhaust. The same foot position I while on my 2009 Shadow Aero which has a heavy gauge wire foot guard welded to the peg bracket to prevent contact with the pipe. Thus far no damage to the leather boot but if left against the pipe long enough I’m sure I could sustain leather burn similar to what you experienced. I’m in the process of converting from the OEM peg to a mini-board which could change my boot placement, I’ll see what happens. I'm not sure exhaust wrap, or changing pegs would work. My boot would continue to find a comfortable position which happens to be against the pipe. I did entertain an idea to keep the boot from connecting with the pipe should the board fail to correct the issue. My thought (please understand this is nothing more than a rough draft brain fart idea to share with you, it’s also to dark out to start taking measurements, but you should get the idea). Fabricate an aluminum or stainless boot guard made from one inch flat bar stock that can be bolted the top portion of foot peg bracket. Remove the OEM pin that retains the peg and replace with a stainless bolt/lock nut which the boot guard will be bolted to. The guard could be bent, formed, and positioned horizontally to the exhaust guard not touching the pipe, and just long enough to keep the boot heal from resting against the pipe. It could be simple, not very visible, safe, and fairly easy to create.

The easiest and best fix: If the issue continues with the Kuryakyn mini-boards a small piece of flat stock can very easily be bolted to the inside edge of the board creating a raised lip, keeping the heal from sliding over the edge into the pipe. The bolt hole at the inside edge already exists, and the 1/4 inch lip would not be noticeable.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fabricate an aluminum or stainless boot guard made from one inch flat bar stock that can be bolted the top portion of foot peg bracket.

This something I will definitely look into! Thanks! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts