Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Hot Exhaust

11K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  wuzzyguzzy 
#1 ·
I saw the Scout at our local dealer this weekend and fell in love instantly. I am only 5 ft tall and had a problem with the exhaust. With the bike warmed up and off the kick stand, my leg was touching the upper part of the pipe. Even with the heat shield, I had to keep my leg arched out in order to keep off the pipe. The staffer told me that Indian had other short people report this issue and were working on a "fix". Any other vertically challenged people out there notice this problem? Or heard of Indian coming out with a different exhaust? I am so ready to buy one, but this could be a serious issue for me.

#2 ·
While previewing the Scout I saw 2 other people have the same problem. Don't know if or what they are going to do. One can only hope.

#3 · (Edited)
Bike had been run for a couple of minutes to give everyone a chance to hear. Afterwards I got on to feel the sized, fit, etc. Brushed the shielded header pipe with my bare leg getting off with this result. It gets pretty hot. I imagine it would melt a synthetic pant leg or burn you through a pair of bluejeans.

I'm thinking this is an "added value feature" that saves the Indian Scout rider the need for an expensive tattoo to show off his or her pride in ownership.

Skin Close-up Arm Hand Joint

Attachments

#19 ·
Bike had been run for a couple of minutes to give everyone a chance to hear. Afterwards I got on to feel the sized, fit, etc. Brushed the shielded header pipe with my bare leg getting off with this result. It gets pretty hot. I imagine it would melt a synthetic pant leg or burn you through a pair of bluejeans.

I'm thinking this is an "added value feature" that saves the Indian Scout rider the need for an expensive tattoo to show off his or her pride in ownership.

View attachment 2078
Yikes, that hurt! So, like you said, no synthetic pants..aka leisure suits. NO leisure suits while riding your Scout.

#4 ·
I don't like the fact that you got burned but I think the quote is damn funny. :p

#5 ·

View attachment 2078
Hey Dim.

Pretty nasty but it sounds like you've just been branded. Say... how about going down to the tat shop and have them tat a permanent "Scout-Burn".

another Suggestion to Indian:
Strategically place an accessory Arrowhead Branding Iron on the exhaust so that when a rider brands himself, he'll have proof that he done it on a Indian.

Apparel Suggestion: Real Men Brand Themselves.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQBVYko_uhQ[/video]

#18 ·
My wife and I drove them both during demo ride in Dec. I have longer legs (6') and due to my lefts it puts my leg parts out of the way of the hot parts. My wife is 5'4" and she was burned on the 20 min drive....she has short legs and her thigh hits right on the hot part of the bike.....consequently it was an immediate NO for her.

#21 ·
I had the same problem when I put my leg down, but not while riding. So the fix? Several. Leather pants with an extra leather patch on the inner right thigh for touring and a one-legged shortie chap with a double layer on the inner thigh for wearing over jeans. I like the bike enough to put up with the heat issue. Think I'll have to skip the manmade textiles since they'd melt on me. And besides, check out the Taber test results: Kevlar is only just after ordinary denim for abrasion resistance (used denim- 168 revs to failure, new denim -225 revs to failure, kevlar- 506 revs to failure, light leather (1.75 to 2.25 oz) 564 to780, ballistic nylon 1050 denier- 817, competition wt leather 3oz- 2600 revs to failure.

#22 ·
It is possible to keep your right leg safe by keeping your foot on the right peg all the time while riding and stopping at stop signs/lights. Takes some practice and balance.

#28 ·
I wear overpants with a reinforced heat resistant area. However I am an anomaly, I ride a cruiser ATGATT

I'm no mechanic but I am not sure you'll burn out your clutch this way. During my riding classes I was always taught to to stay in gear at a stop in case I had to boogie from someone coming up from behind or any other hazard that would save my hide if I get outta dodge.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.