Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the Scout at our local dealer this weekend and fell in love instantly. I am only 5 ft tall and had a problem with the exhaust. With the bike warmed up and off the kick stand, my leg was touching the upper part of the pipe. Even with the heat shield, I had to keep my leg arched out in order to keep off the pipe. The staffer told me that Indian had other short people report this issue and were working on a "fix". Any other vertically challenged people out there notice this problem? Or heard of Indian coming out with a different exhaust? I am so ready to buy one, but this could be a serious issue for me.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
While previewing the Scout I saw 2 other people have the same problem. Don't know if or what they are going to do. One can only hope.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bike had been run for a couple of minutes to give everyone a chance to hear. Afterwards I got on to feel the sized, fit, etc. Brushed the shielded header pipe with my bare leg getting off with this result. It gets pretty hot. I imagine it would melt a synthetic pant leg or burn you through a pair of bluejeans.

I'm thinking this is an "added value feature" that saves the Indian Scout rider the need for an expensive tattoo to show off his or her pride in ownership.

IMG_1263.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm thinking this is an "added value feature" that saves the Indian Scout rider the need for an expensive tattoo to show off his or her pride in ownership.
I don't like the fact that you got burned but I think the quote is damn funny. :p

·
Registered
468 Posts
Bike had been run for a couple of minutes to give everyone a chance to hear. Afterwards I got on to feel the sized, fit, etc. Brushed the shielded header pipe with my bare leg getting off with this result. It gets pretty hot. I imagine it would melt a synthetic pant leg or burn you through a pair of bluejeans.

View attachment 2078
Hey Dim.

Pretty nasty but it sounds like you've just been branded. Say... how about going down to the tat shop and have them tat a permanent "Scout-Burn".

another Suggestion to Indian:
Strategically place an accessory Arrowhead Branding Iron on the exhaust so that when a rider brands himself, he'll have proof that he done it on a Indian.

Apparel Suggestion: Real Men Brand Themselves.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQBVYko_uhQ[/video]

·
Registered
468 Posts
That Warbonnet Branding Iron's doable, too.

You've heard of "The Wrecking Crew"?
I'd like to nominate Dim as founder of "The Branding Crew".

·
Registered
468 Posts
I cannot say for sure, but I think I recall reading somewhere, last year, that the current Triumph Scramblers had a double-heat shield - just a thought.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Thing is, the heat shield is more like a heat sink. It's thick and heavy. To be a proper shield it needs to be thin and flimsy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same challenge. I wore my chaps for my first ride on the Scout today. Burned the leather onto the pipe...but better than my jeans/skin. It is only when the bike is stopped that I have to be aware of it. Love the way it handles

·
Registered
98 Posts
My wife and I drove them both during demo ride in Dec. I have longer legs (6') and due to my lefts it puts my leg parts out of the way of the hot parts. My wife is 5'4" and she was burned on the 20 min drive....she has short legs and her thigh hits right on the hot part of the bike.....consequently it was an immediate NO for her.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

View attachment 2078
Yikes, that hurt! So, like you said, no synthetic pants..aka leisure suits. NO leisure suits while riding your Scout.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts