Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started up 2015 Roadmaster yesterday and as I started to roll off the horn honked once. Went about 50 feet and it honked again, another 50 ft another honk. Stopped the bike after the fourth honk and turned it off. Started it back up and no more honks. Is there something that I am doing wrong on startup to cause this to happen? This happened twice before the 500 mile service was done. I had the FAB battery replaced about a month ago when I had the 500 mile break-in service performed. Technician said the readout showed the FAB battery was low and told me that that could caused the horn to go off and a red shield to display on the dash which is what happened on the two occasions before the 500 mile service. I have not had that happen again since the FAB battery was replaced until yesterday. I didn't notice whether the red shield on the dash lit up, I just turned off the bike and restarted it and no more horn going off???? What the heck?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
happened to me as well, but realized after 20 honks it was just me showing off my new Indian...hopes this helps
That was a good one!

Wasn't me though, besides I don't need to show it off, it does that all on it's own. See lots of heads turning and thumbs ups when I take it out.

Reactions: jamestownChicago

·
Registered
24 Posts
Started up 2015 Roadmaster yesterday and as I started to roll off the horn honked once. Went about 50 feet and it honked again, another 50 ft another honk. Stopped the bike after the fourth honk and turned it off. Started it back up and no more honks. Is there something that I am doing wrong on startup to cause this to happen? This happened twice before the 500 mile service was done. I had the FAB battery replaced about a month ago when I had the 500 mile break-in service performed. Technician said the readout showed the FAB battery was low and told me that that could caused the horn to go off and a red shield to display on the dash which is what happened on the two occasions before the 500 mile service. I have not had that happen again since the FAB battery was replaced until yesterday. I didn't notice whether the red shield on the dash lit up, I just turned off the bike and restarted it and no more horn going off???? What the heck?
You want to make sure you have the latest Indian ecm update and get the security sys.Can be that you also have another fob or pats key near your fob interfering with the signal/ Make sure to separate any garage door openers pats keys or other fobs and reck.Hope this helps..

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's the fob battery. The intermittent horn honking has happened to plenty of people (including me) and was resolved by replacing the battery. Although car fob batteries last for years, the Indian fob battery (with a few exceptions) only lasts a few months. Bought my bike in April and already had to replace the battery this summer.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have the same problem with my RM. When I leave for work in the morning (6am) and kick it into gear, the horn goes off. If I kick it out of gear and then back in again, it seems to be ok. My understanding is that the fob is not being recognised by the bike and consequently the bike reacts as if the bike is being stolen. I have my bike scheduled to be looked at by the mechanic because I have put a new battery in the fob and it didn't seem to make any difference.
Frustrating, I know - annoying for the neighbours? sure.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A few people mentioned they had to have their bike reflashed after replacing the fob battery. Not so for me.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
1st - the replacement battery could have been old stock or just bad - try fresh battery
2nd - make sure your FOB is not tucked away where the communications between the FOB and the bikes ECM is interrupted (if in doubt - try putting it on the pocket of one of your lowers)
3rd - if neither of these work for you - ask your dealer to re-flash the ECM
lastly - if none of that does works - then you have a bad FOB or ECM

Oh, and welcome to the tribe!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way, I appreciate all of the welcomes into the Family.

1. OK, took the FOB (sorry see I misspelled it) apart and tested the battery. Battery was good.
2. I have the FOB hooked on a carabiner that I attach to my belt loop so there shouldn't be any blocked communications going on there. Don't really want to stow it on the bike for fear that I would walk off from the bike without taking it with me.
3. I also have a mini flashlight hooked to the carabiner that the FOB is on. Don't know if the electrical field produced by the 3 small hearing aid batteries in the flashlight could interfere with the FOB signal or not.
4. I also have the regular shaped INDIAN key that came with the bike hooked to the carabiner. Don't know if the has a chip in it or something that mess with the FOB.
5. Lastly my garage door opener is stowed in the left side lowers compartment.

I'll remove the mini flashlight to test if that solves the problem. Otherwise I will have the dealer re-flash the ECM when I take the bike in to have the rear brake master cylinder rebuilt which I received a Safety Recall on.

Just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong in power-up and start-up procedure. Time will tell.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
By the way, I appreciate all of the welcomes into the Family.

1. OK, took the FOB (sorry see I misspelled it) apart and tested the battery. Battery was good.
2. I have the FOB hooked on a carabiner that I attach to my belt loop so there shouldn't be any blocked communications going on there. Don't really want to stow it on the bike for fear that I would walk off from the bike without taking it with me.
3. I also have a mini flashlight hooked to the carabiner that the FOB is on. Don't know if the electrical field produced by the 3 small hearing aid batteries in the flashlight could interfere with the FOB signal or not.
4. I also have the regular shaped INDIAN key that came with the bike hooked to the carabiner. Don't know if the has a chip in it or something that mess with the FOB.
5. Lastly my garage door opener is stowed in the left side lowers compartment.

I'll remove the mini flashlight to test if that solves the problem. Otherwise I will have the dealer re-flash the ECM when I take the bike in to have the rear brake master cylinder rebuilt which I received a Safety Recall on.

Just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong in power-up and start-up procedure. Time will tell.
Doesn't sound like interference from what you described.
The key that comes with the Indian does not have a chip
Sounds like the dealer needs to take the next step and reflash. Replace fob, or replace ecm

Keep us informed of the outcome, that's how we all keep learning ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine would do this occasionally. I told the dealer and they couldn't find anything. It happened to them and they discovered a bad solder joint in the fob. After they replaced the fob all was well.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I replaced the battery in the FOB, no more issues with the horn going off when it shouldn't.

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Registered
552 Posts
The dying fob topic seems to come up on almost every Indian motorcycle forum I belong to so I did some research. Here's what I found out:

The motorcycle has an ECU (or similar device) which emits LF radio signals and “initiates the conversation” with the fob when you push on the power button. The fob is a passive device and only emits a response ID code when asked. If that signal matches the motorcycle’s transponder ID code, it allows the motorcycle to be started, locked/unlocked, etc. Of course, Indians can be started without a response from the fob, but if a response is not detected within a certain amount of time, the alarm (horn) sounds and the bike shuts itself down.

Now, this explanation was specific to keyless automobiles but it's probably safe to assume keyless motorcycles work on the same principle. If that's the case, the batteries in the fobs should not run down due to being constantly "interrogated" by the ECU......the signals from the motorcycle ECU are only sent once the power button is pushed. Same thing for the alarm.....if the fob is not detected (does not reply) because the battery is dead/weak or the fob is out of range and someone messes with the bike, the alarm will sound.

With all this being said, the push-button type fobs that remotely unlock bags, deactivate alarms, etc, are active (initiates the conversation) devices which transmits a signal to perform those functions.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The dying fob topic seems to come up on almost every Indian motorcycle forum I belong to so I did some research. Here's what I found out:

The motorcycle has an ECU (or similar device) which emits LF radio signals and “initiates the conversation” with the fob when you push on the power button. The fob is a passive device and only emits a response ID code when asked. If that signal matches the motorcycle’s transponder ID code, it allows the motorcycle to be started, locked/unlocked, etc. Of course, Indians can be started without a response from the fob, but if a response is not detected within a certain amount of time, the alarm (horn) sounds and the bike shuts itself down.

Now, this explanation was specific to keyless automobiles but it's probably safe to assume keyless motorcycles work on the same principle. If that's the case, the batteries in the fobs should not run down due to being constantly "interrogated" by the ECU......the signals from the motorcycle ECU are only sent once the power button is pushed. Same thing for the alarm.....if the fob is not detected (does not reply) because the battery is dead/weak or the fob is out of range and someone messes with the bike, the alarm will sound.

With all this being said, the push-button type fobs that remotely unlock bags, deactivate alarms, etc, are active (initiates the conversation) devices which transmits a signal to perform those functions.
ok, so what I am reading into this is
if you have a motorcycle that does not do any additional actions (like alarm or central locking) the fob will be passive and the chance of the battery being diminished quickly is pretty low (the power in the battery on the fob will diminish but not at an accelerated rate).
If on the other hand, you have a motorcycle that has the alarm and the central locking (aka a couple of buttons on the fob) - having this in your pocket may result in pressure being applied to the switches which in turn will diminish the battery life quicker than not having the buttons.

Would that be a fair "laymans" interpretation of your writeup?

·
Founding member
2,280 Posts
I'll add some additional points/corrections:
- The fobs with the buttons are only "active" when the buttons are pushed; so although they will discharge the battery faster than a fob without the buttons, it isn't a major difference.
- The bike will NOT start without the fob except by using your PIN and if it is started in this manner, it will not honk/shut-down. The honk/shut-down occurs if you start the bike with the fob in range and then drive off without it OR you have intermittent communication between the fob/bike because of a weak fob battery, interference, or bad fob.
- The most common reasons for the fob battery to die quickly is because of a bad/old battery (buy them from a source that sells/replenish them regularly) or a faulty fob that may cause the battery to drain because of a circuit short/bad component. The fob battery will not discharge more rapidly if left within range of the bike while the bike is off.

·
Registered
552 Posts
ok, so what I am reading into this is
if you have a motorcycle that does not do any additional actions (like alarm or central locking) the fob will be passive and the chance of the battery being diminished quickly is pretty low (the power in the battery on the fob will diminish but not at an accelerated rate).
If on the other hand, you have a motorcycle that has the alarm and the central locking (aka a couple of buttons on the fob) - having this in your pocket may result in pressure being applied to the switches which in turn will diminish the battery life quicker than not having the buttons.

Would that be a fair "laymans" interpretation of your writeup?
You are correct. A fob that also acts as an active device (sends signals to unlock bags, set alarms, etc) will run down the fob battery quicker than a button-less fob.

I'll add some additional points/corrections:
- The fobs with the buttons are only "active" when the buttons are pushed; so although they will discharge the battery faster than a fob without the buttons, it isn't a major difference.
- The bike will NOT start without the fob except by using your PIN and if it is started in this manner, it will not honk/shut-down. The honk/shut-down occurs if you start the bike with the fob in range and then drive off without it OR you have intermittent communication between the fob/bike because of a weak fob battery, interference, or bad fob.
- The most common reasons for the fob battery to die quickly is because of a bad/old battery (buy them from a source that sells/replenish them regularly) or a faulty fob that may cause the battery to drain because of a circuit short/bad component. The fob battery will not discharge more rapidly if left within range of the bike while the bike is off.
Jayred hit the nail on the head......although I think I did start my bike once without the fob and not using the PIN, but the horn honked and it shut down. I may be mistaken but I'll try it tomorrow to confirm.

·
Founding member
2,280 Posts
I had one similar event where the bike started when I didn't have the fob on me, but realized that the bike connected with the fob even though it was inside the house at a fair distance. RF signals can do some crazy things under the right conditions or reflective surroundings. As soon as I left the garage I noticed the security light flashing. Realized I didn't have my fob and got it, rode off without problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem replaced my FOB battery and it came good. Try using the manual pin without the key fob, that would at least isolate it to the remote system.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts