Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horn started beeping intermediately in first gear going up my driveway and would not stop until second gear.Same thing happened at the gas station.Any ideas ?Thanks in advance.

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
Your FOB battery needs replaced. Do you know your override pin to start the bike. You need it in those situations. If not replace that 2032 battery immediately. Your dash should flash the battery symbol too as a reminder...

You could also have something blocking your FOB in our pocket. Where do you keep your key fob while riding?

·
Founding member
2,205 Posts
Likely it is a low fob battery. The bike looks for the fob when it is powered up, when it goes into first gear (if not in gear when started) and again shortly afterwards as you ride away. If it fails to see the fob either of the last two times, it will honk to warn you that you might be riding away without it.

What is likely happening is the fob will transmit back on the first check, but the battery is weakened enough that it can't transmit back for the second check. The battery voltage will recover some with time an it is able to finally give a reply 'ping' to the bike after a short time ... and you're able to continue riding without the bike shutting down (which it will if it doesn't ever get a reply - a security feature).

It may also be due to other metallic objects in the pocket next to the fob which can attenuate the signal and cause it to be missed by the bike. Check the fob battery and/or other things in your pocket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your FOB battery needs replaced. Do you know your override pin to start the bike. You need it in those situations. If not replace that 2032 battery immediately. Your dash should flash the battery symbol too as a reminder...

You could also have something blocking your FOB in our pocket. Where do you keep your key fob while riding?
i keep it out in the open on my belt buckle,don t know my pin #. does the fob opens up easy and where would you get a battery for it?any hardware store?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Likely it is a low fob battery. The bike looks for the fob when it is powered up, when it goes into first gear (if not in gear when started) and again shortly afterwards as you ride away. If it fails to see the fob either of the last two times, it will honk to warn you that you might be riding away without it.

What is likely happening is the fob will transmit back on the first check, but the battery is weakened enough that it can't transmit back for the second check. The battery voltage will recover some with time an it is able to finally give a reply 'ping' to the bike after a short time ... and you're able to continue riding without the bike shutting down (which it will if it doesn't ever get a reply - a security feature).

It may also be due to other metallic objects in the pocket next to the fob which can attenuate the signal and cause it to be missed by the bike. Check the fob battery and/or other things in your pocket.
ty for the good advice

·
Founding member
2,205 Posts
I'd move it from the belt buckle (if metallic), but I'd also replace the battery. They're cheap and available most places that sell batteries (Walmarts/Targets, hardware stores, etc.). There is a small phillips screw on the fob and the two halves will open to access the CR2032 battery. Be sure to put the new one in facing the same way and be careful tightening the small screw so you don't strip the thread.

Get the PIN info from your dealer ASAP since it is the only way to start the bike without the fob. There is a Master PIN (fixed - can't be changed) and a Rider PIN (one you can assign) Info in the manual.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd move it from the belt buckle (if metallic), but I'd also replace the battery. They're cheap and available most places that sell batteries (Walmarts/Targets, hardware stores, etc.). There is a small phillips screw on the fob and the two halves will open to access the CR2032 battery. Be sure to put the new one in facing the same way and be careful tightening the small screw so you don't strip the thread.

Get the PIN info from your dealer ASAP since it is the only way to start the bike without the fob. There is a Master PIN (fixed - can't be changed) and a Rider PIN (one you can assign) Info in the manual.
great info thanks.i would think the dealer would be able to give me a rider pin on the phone through the vin # without making a special trip there.at least one could hope

·
Founding member
2,205 Posts
To enter a Rider PIN, you must know the Master PIN. As for a dealer giving info over the phone, that depends. Many won't because either a) they don't have that information on file for each bike they've sold or b) they won't give it out since they have no way to verify that the person calling isn't someone who has stolen the bike. They might give it to out if you have a good/close relationship with them.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Your dealer can pull the pin off their system...they may have to have the bike to hook it to their computer, but they can provide it.
They have to pull it from the VCU with Digital Wrench.

Reactions: jayred1

·
Rider
944 Posts
The dealer can change the master pin. My dealer changed the pin to their number so when a bike gets dropped off and a fob is not available they can still work on the bike.
From the 2018 Indian manual

UNLOCKING THE SECURITY SYSTEM Your dealer will provide the master personal identification number (PIN) for the security system. Your dealer may also change the master PIN to a new rider PIN on your behalf.

To enter a Rider PIN, you must know the Master PIN.
Not sure what you are trying to say here. Just starting the bike with two pins? Not true all you need is one of the pins.

Changing the rider pin? also not true you need a pin or fob to change the rider pin.

To change your PIN, you must have either the key fob or your existing valid PIN available to gain access to the security system.

Both manual quotes are from page 127

·
Founding member
2,205 Posts
The dealer can change the master pin. My dealer changed the pin to their number so when a bike gets dropped off and a fob is not available they can still work on the bike.

UNLOCKING THE SECURITY SYSTEM Your dealer will provide the master personal identification number (PIN) for the security system. Your dealer may also change the master PIN to a new rider PIN on your behalf.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Just starting the bike with two pins? Not true all you need is one of the pins.

Changing the rider pin? also not true you need a pin or fob to change the rider pin.

To change your PIN, you must have either the key fob or your existing valid PIN available to gain access to the security system.

Both manual quotes are from page 127
Sorry, but you're incorrect. I never said you need both PINs to start the bike. The bike can be started using either the Master PIN or the Rider PIN. The Master PIN is fixed (hardcoded) in the bike's VCU and can't be changed. The Rider PIN can be personalized and changed at any time, but it doesn't overwrite the Master PIN. This has been well documented in many threads here.

But if you don't know the Rider PIN (or if it gets erased during a firmware update), you will need the Master PIN. The first step in reprogramming the Rider PIN is to "enter either the Master PIN or your current 4-digit Rider PIN within 20 seconds." This can be found under "Changing Your Security System PIN."

You'll also find a place to document both the Master PIN and the Rider PIN on page 7 of your manual.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts