Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been flirting with getting a Scout for a while. Tried out Triumph and the Speedmaster-- loved it. Not quite as nice a build as Indian, though.

My wife learned to ride and started drooling all over Scouts.

Yesterday, I bought a 2017 60. Never rode one. We were a good hour from home and I got to ride highway, backroads, and windy roads through the mountains...and a little city stop and go.

I rode my Chieftain to the dealer so I could leave it for the recall fix and a new front fender, so I had a quality ride fresh in my memory.

My Chieftain has cams, PV3, no cats, etc.
It is a dog compared to the 60! Any speed. Roll-ons at 60 and 70 mph would have left the Chieftain in the dust. Wow. First and second gear are AWESOME! I took her up to just shy of a ton.

After all the MANY complaints I have read about the crappy seat and poor suspension, and the monkey/football thing, I was prepared for the worst.

I found the seat comfortable during the 1.5 hours I sat on it. I purposefully hit the worst bumps, tar snakes and road imperfections, constantly, so I could advise my wife on it.
Yes, the suspension is firmer than the Chieftain, but the ride was excellent and I never had a bone-jarrimg encounter. The bike was rock solid through everything I threw at it.

This 60 has Crusher pipes, Pirelli Night Dragons....and I don't know if it has a new intake or not. The tires are brand new and I spun them several times while nailing 1st gear.

Seriously -- I was looking at the "full sized" Scout and the FTR, thinking the 60 was a "beginner bike" as so many have said --- but not any more! I am impressed!

I wish it was a bit taller. I was comfortable -- I am 5' 10" and 160 lbs (down from about 200!) and it fit me like a glove. I just didn't like being so low to the ground, but no big deal. I like the hooligan kits available.

I have over 30 years riding experience on everything from rice rockets to Ducs, Harley, Victory & Yamaha.

Anyone wanting an exciting bike to ride that costs HALF of some others that is cheap to upgrade, should try a 60.

What a blast!

·
Silver member
4,628 Posts
The Scout Sixty is a very good performer, especially with a good PV3 tune. The PV3 tune removes some of the limits Indian put on the Sixty so as not to hurt its bigger brother's feelings.

The Scout will most likely be my next bike, just looks like a nice all around fun bike.

·
Administrator
14,642 Posts
Great move!! That power and handling sound really attractive... especially at the price.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! The S60 is a comfortable ride if set up properly - even with the stock seat which takes a little while to break in. You've already got the pipes and tuning for more power. The per tank range is a little shorter than the bigger bikes but there are folks on here that still tour with the S60. It's a great choice with plenty of bang for the buck.

Reactions: Notaharley

·
Bronze member
5,078 Posts
I had a 2016 Scout 60 for 16 months before moving to a Springfield. First thing I did to the 60 was get a PVCX and a decent tune. People I rode with had no idea what it was capable of and it kept on surprising them. It's the true surprise package.

·
Bronze member
2,635 Posts
Yall all need to know that S60's go straight to "Hero" power with nothing more than a FM PV3 running their "S60 stock improved" tune... We are talking crazy improvements .. +11 hp .... This is mainly due to the FM tune defeating the stock "detune" that Polaris puts on them..

From the sticky on the Scout 60 forum - Scout 60 - Get Scout 69 performance easy and quick.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yall all need to know that S60's go straight to "Hero" power with nothing more than a FM PV3 running their "S60 stock improved" tune... We are talking crazy improvements .. +11 hp .... This is mainly due to the FM tune defeating the stock "detune" that Polaris puts on them..

From the sticky on the Scout 60 forum - Scout 60 - Get Scout 69 performance easy and quick.
I did a bunch of reading on this--
One reason I bought a 2017 is because after that the throttle bodies were reduced in size to limit power, 2017 has the better starter motor and the better suspension.

·
Bronze member
2,635 Posts
Very Good ! And absolutely correct ! We don't have data on the affects of the newer 54mm Throttle body induction system (2018 - present) but it may produce more low/mid and a little less as you near 8.3k rpm..

Since you already have crushers and did not get a PV3 / PVCX with the sale, you are in for a BIG surprise when you do put a FM PV3 on it and install the FM tune.. Just look at that flat TRQ curve:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very Good ! And absolutely correct ! We don't have data on the affects of the newer 54mm Throttle body induction system (2018 - present) but it may produce more low/mid and a little less as you near 8.3k rpm..

Since you already have crushers and did not get a PV3 / PVCX with the sale, you are in for a BIG surprise when you do put a FM PV3 on it and install the FM tune.. Just look at that flat TRQ curve:
View attachment 578572
Lol --- this is my WIFES bike!! I went ripping over the Snake today, and I'm already worried about her riding this thing!

As I was screaming through turns....I wondered if it has already had the PV3 treatment. No way to tell, I guess.

I'm also not happy that her bike will smoke mine.

I think I'm ditching the Chieftain. So much $$ in that bike! I am hunting for a Scout for me now :)

·
Bronze member
2,635 Posts
A dealership would be able to "digital wrench it" to see the tune..

With a Scout 69 , you will always be able to "stay one step ahead" of her S60.. One thing she can't do is get 100+ hp at the rear wheel with a "proper" stage 1 + PV3 setup - S69's can.. She could sneek in the Revolution Performance 1300cc BB kit tho, and leave you in the dust until you do the same !

Until then, hopefully she won't leave you for some fella with a faster bike...

Reactions: joBZH and Hatt

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A dealership would be able to "digital wrench it" to see the tune..

With a Scout 69 , you will always be able to "stay one step ahead" of her S60.. One thing she can't do is get 100+ hp at the rear wheel with a "proper" stage 1 + PV3 setup - S69's can.. She could sneek in the Revolution Performance 1300cc BB kit tho, and leave you in the dust until you do the same !

Until then, hopefully she won't leave you for some fella with a faster bike...
Just read that to my wife! Cracked her up!
(Now I'm worried!)

·
Rider
1,124 Posts
I am very happy with my 60. It is basically the bike I always wanted. Since I don't ride balls to the walls most of the time (and my current budget has been creamed by the wife & I both getting cataract surgery at the same time) I'm currently sticking with stock. Even though my previous bike was smaller, the peak torque came in much lower at 3200 and the red line was lower, so I could really punch it in town without screaming revs. So that has been an adjustment. I still find myself not running the revs up that much because of that. There is a surprising amount of rarely used power in this bike.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am very happy with my 60. It is basically the bike I always wanted. Since I don't ride balls to the walls most of the time (and my current budget has been creamed by the wife & I both getting cataract surgery at the same time) I'm currently sticking with stock. Even though my previous bike was smaller, the peak torque came in much lower at 3200 and the red line was lower, so I could really punch it in town without screaming revs. So that has been an adjustment. I still find myself not running the revs up that much because of that. There is a surprising amount of rarely used power in this bike.
I have been riding my wife's new 60....and, yes, there is untapped power most of the time. On level ground it is happy to putt putt at just over 2000 rpms, and just as happy to run at 3000 with lots of get up and go.

I'm still being impressed by it.

I want one for me. I have found a couple and just need to make a decision.

My biggest worry is luggage. Cannot afford $1000 for Indian bags. Crazy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check out Leather Works bags, I bought a set with EasyMount brackets, cheaper and better then Indian, imo. Also, I have a Givi 46 liter trunk mounted on my rack. Paul

1 - 20 of 34 Posts