Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Home at last home at last! The biker gods smiled on me this weekend. The Chieftain is safely tucked away in my garage. The weather could not have been much better for Western New York in November, upper 50’s and almost no breeze. A nice long drive from the Indian dealer in Erie PA along the Lake Erie shore line all the way home. I could not think of a better ride for the inaugural trip home. We got to know each other pretty quickly.
Were there issues along the way? A couple, mostly on my part, but the reality of it nothing I would ever hold against the bike. I’m 6’4” and knew that there was limited leg stretching room. Since the Indian highway pegs are not currently in stock, I purchased a set of Victory Highway pegs and the parts guy offered to install them. In my haste to ride, I did not test fit the pegs. I could reach the pegs, but it was now a real stretch. After lunch in Erie, I re-adjusted them, the pegs now were within reach and level to the ground. Again in my haste to get back on the road, I had one higher than the other. I neglected to take into account that I was in the side stand when I installed them. Now is a good time to mention that following me was my neighbors in there Toy Hauler Motorhome containing both the neighbors, Four grandchildren and my wife (no back rest yet and at temperature below her age). Attempting to save face I rode on. The attempt was fool hardy because all three adults and one of the grandkids (son of a Harley mechanic) pointed out that my pegs were not aligned.
Issue number 2. No heel toe shifter. More than once my heel looked for that vacant shifter. Usually when riding through small towns along the route. I probably do not need to mention that these bikes do attract attention even when riding. Hopefully it wasn’t because of my odd peg placement. My apologies to Indian, if I gave anyone a bad impression of the shifting capabilities of these beautiful bikes.
Number three. Unlike my Fatboy, but like my Yamaha Venture the turn signal switch is on the left side. My signals for a right turn were a bit late in the beginning. My apologies to Tom in the motorhome for the delay. Thank fully I adapted to it pretty quickly. Thank you Indian for not putting any button which felt like a turn signal on the right side. My Yamaha’s starter has survived the annual transition.
Break in. Yes I understand about break in, yes I varied the RPM’s and kept below ¼ throttle. But, ok not an issue, I just wanted to ride and enjoy it. Maybe I was too anal about it, or trying to make up for the peg thing.
The only real issue I had with the bike is the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. The TPMS light would come on shortly after I started out . Tire pressure was normal, and would increase as the tires got warm. About ½ hour in to the ride the light would go out. The same thing happed on our test ride. Back in October. Tire pressure read good so I rode on. Will need to get this fixed at the 500 mile checkup.
Saturday night, under the cover of darkness, I snuck in the garage and made the final adjustment to the Highway pegs, tried the iPod and USB functions and hoped for a short winter.

Twas the day after delivery when all through the house
Came tapping and spattering I hoped was a mouse
When out on the porch there arouse such a clatter
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter
Away to the window I flew like a flash
Only to see the rain fall with a splash.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear.
A sight from the heavens, that I hold oh so dear
A bright patch of blue sky away on the horizon.
I barely had time to pull my blue jeans on.
This fat old driver so anxious and slick
I knew in a moment I had to be quick
More rapid than keys, my Fob had come out
I whistled and shouted and onto my mount
We dashed to the station to fill up with high test
For one more ride, I knew would be best
I rode through the morning and after the noon
I saw that our ride would be have to end soon
As clouds rushed in as the wild hurricanes fly,
I was met with this sight, as I looked to the sky.
For my Indian Chieftain all shiny in red,
Was not ready for Stable, or even a bed.
I spoke not word but went right to my house
And washed the new ride, with my wife’s old white blouse
Then into the garage for a long winters sleep
I closed the big doors with nary a peep
After the long wait, this day was like heaven
Riding my Chieftain, number Seven Oh Seven

My apologies to Clement Moore . After all, who out there would say the new Indians are not like poetry.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Review Look Forward to Hearing More .. I did 2 Test Rides on the Chieftain and Both Times the Tire Pressure Monitor Light was on which pointed out to both Dealers.. Would think they should resolve this quickly although it sure wouldn't stop me from Riding it ..

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very enjoyable post to read...nice job. I'm gathering you live somewhere in the Buffalo area, I'm from Holland near East Aurora. I'd like to get a chance to see #707 in about 5-6 months (hopefully alot sooner) after the white stuff is gone. Give me a shout in the spring if you happern to remember.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The TPS system needs to be addressed by Indian, it is way too sensitive and if the pressure is below the recommended pressure by only 1 or 2 psi the light comes on. If you have the correct pressure you have to deal with it untill the tire warm up or put more air in and have the incorrect pressure when riding. My wifes car has TPS and the light doesn't come on until the presure is 4-6 psi allowing for temperature change.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Enjoy your new ride, from another Upstate NY guy. (is it spring yet).

Please keep us updated on your TPMS issue. I am ordering a Vintage for spring, and I am watching carefully for how these problems and back orders get sorted.

Ride well

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a relief that others have seen the TPMS issue. Well sort of. My concern was that it would end being an orphan problem and not looked into right away. Thanks jayfl726and mototwin.
Xz700 another red Chieftain was spotted in the area a couple of weeks ago. Had me a bit frightened that my 707 somehow got sold under me. The day after the sighting I went to call the dealer and they called me first. I was told that the bike was ready for pick up. You weren't wearing a white helmet were you? Off Road Express was/is an great dealer to work with. I could not have had a better experience. When I thought they sold my bike I should have known better.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great review. The TPS system is sensitive. I checked the manual and put in the recommended pressure myself for the blackwall tires and all is well.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats 707! A poet among us! :) Thankfully, so far, my TPMS has worked well. I spoke with my dealer about the problems another fellow was having and they said it was an easy fix. Lets hope so. Best to you.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
18595 said:
Congrats 707! A poet among us! :) Thankfully, so far, my TPMS has worked well. I spoke with my dealer about the problems another fellow was having and they said it was an easy fix. Lets hope so. Best to you.
RedChieftain,

Could you share with us what your dealer said about the TPMS easy fix?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great write-up..Hope u bring it up to Steak & Lube in the spring so we can check it out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts