Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm polishing up my month-old Vinnie and I notice a cracked left road lamp lens. It starts at the bottom center where the small "cut-out" is, and extends about 2 1/2 inches towards the 10:00 position looking from the front. I inspect it closely and find there is no impact evidence and if I had taken a rock or something, I definitely would have heard it.. I figure it's got to be a stress related crack.

I go to my local (25 miles) Indian dealership to buy a new lens. No can do. Must buy whole new lamp. How much lamp? $176.00. WHAT!!?? $176.00 to replace a cracked lens? WTF!? So I 'splain to the nice parts guy that there is no evidence of of any impact and I believe it's a stress crack and should be covered under warranty. He inspected the lens and agreed. He is ordering the lamp and trying to get it covered by warranty. Still awaiting order to come in and Indian's determination of warranty coverage.

I'll be back with the results.........hopefully with $176.00 + tax still in my possession!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
$176. Ouch. Someone must have thought that was some lens. This is the sort of thing that is such a negative to owners. Simple fixes turn into mega buck outlays.
"Sorry sir but you can't get the small parts to fix the oops in your driveway. You need to buy............assemblies."
Sounds like the parts guy at least listened. Good luck.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's good that the parts guy agrees. I bought a pair of gloves when Polaris first took over Indian. A small tear developed along one of the seams, and it took months to get my claim sorted. I was in no hurry, since the dealer is about 30 miles from me and I had another pair, but it was a long time to replace a set of gloves.

I think $176 is steep, but I have seen the LED lights that most companies are producing now, and they are one unit, molded into place with epoxy to hold all the LEDs, but you can see that CLEARLY the lens is separate, and should be sold as such, especially when the light assembly is so bulletproof. Dang!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's good that the parts guy agrees. I bought a pair of gloves when Polaris first took over Indian. A small tear developed along one of the seams, and it took months to get my claim sorted. I was in no hurry, since the dealer is about 30 miles from me and I had another pair, but it was a long time to replace a set of gloves.

I think $176 is steep, but I have seen the LED lights that most companies are producing now, and they are one unit, molded into place with epoxy to hold all the LEDs, but you can see that CLEARLY the lens is separate, and should be sold as such, especially when the light assembly is so bulletproof. Dang!
Funny you should mention that, sir. The parts guy told me that if I had the LED setup, I could buy just the lens. I would ask/exclaim "WTF?" but I'd be repeating myself. I was pondering the efficacy of swapping over to the LED but couldn't find it on the website.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,047 Posts
Howdy All,
The headlight and driving lights on Chieftain #873 are halogen. the taillight and turn signal lights are LED. This is not bad as the lights are bright and readily replaceable. The bad thing is that at 16,000 miles I've already had to replace a headlight bulb (H-4 and readily available).
--- Randall

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
At least they didn't say "sorry sir, we don't sell individual lenses, you'll have to buy an entire new bike"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts