Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many have already heard the City of Hollister has not planned an official city sponsored event for this coming 4th of July. The event was not approved by the City Council due to lack of sponsorship and most likely due to the 4th of July falling on a Wednesday.

From past experience everyone in Hollister knows that the bikes will come none the less.

Indian Motorcycles of Hollister (AKA Hollister Powersports) and Corbin have planned an event for the weekend of July 6th, 7th and 8th. We have rented the Veterans Hall and will be having an open bar known as the "Wild One Saloon" and having a event at the Corbin Factory as well as the Indian Demos at Indian Motorcycles of Hollister. We are expecting a large gathering as many already know of the event. If you plan on making it you may want to start booking your rooms and campsites (Casa De Fruita, San Benito

2018-04-12 12_43_55-2018_postcard_front (002) - Windows Photo Viewer.png
DSCN1961.JPG
2018_postcard_front.jpg
Rally 48 WEB.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,323 Posts
AND, for those planning to attend this little shindig, please remember to drink responsibly, and thus in the process NOT becoming "a whole new poster boy" for why the town fathers of Hollister California banned this little shindig for 50 years and after THIS idiot's picture was taken in July of 1947 and was then printed within the pages of Life magazine...

(...you have now been duly warned) ;)

LOL

·
Bronze member
1,323 Posts
A small group of us from SoCal will be attending.
Yep, and back in 1997(and in 1998), I attended the very first "reunion" and the 50th Anniversary of the Hollister 'Riot' there in that sunny little central California town, and while riding my '95 Triumph Sprint to them.

It took me two times before I realized that this sort'a thing just wasn't "my bag", and was just about the time I discovered that I enjoyed the SoCal Norton Owners Club's Hansen Dam British meet and ride in November a heck of lot more. Different "clientele", I guess ya might say.

(...in fact, I STILL don't know why I've agreed to ride down to Scottsdale this coming Saturday to attend the Arizona Bike Week for the second time after many years of a prior attendance to it and with a friend who purchased a new RM a few months before I purchased my Springfield this year...he said he's never been to it, and so I told him I'd go...I mean really...how many freakin' Harley cruisers can ya see before ya get tired of seein' 'em?!)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Wife and I attended the event last year. It was neat seeing all the bikes, but not a lot else to do. It seemed like all the places selling shirts were owned by the same company. I did do an Indian demo ride just to see how the RM Classic compared to my RM.
I may go again this year, as it's not far from Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
AND, for those planning to attend this little shindig, please remember to drink responsibly, and thus in the process NOT becoming "a whole new poster boy" for why the town fathers of Hollister California banned this little shindig for 50 years and after THIS idiot's picture was taken in July of 1947 and was then printed within the pages of Life magazine...

(...you have now been duly warned) ;)

LOL
LOL.....actually that "Idiot" was a prop for Life Magazine. Sure it was a mess, but a rep from Life set that picture up. bottles and all..................

·
Bronze member
1,323 Posts
LOL.....actually that "Idiot" was a prop for Life Magazine. Sure it was a mess, but a rep from Life set that picture up. bottles and all..................
Yeah AK, I do remember hearing that, and thus supposedly is the reason the so-called "Hollister Biker Riot of 1947" was blown out of all proportion.

And so lets just say here that that "idiot" Boozefighter there was kind'a like the forerunner of those other idiots we used to see on Leno's old "Jay Walking" segment OR kind'a like those OTHER idiots we see now days on YouTube.

In other words, people who had/have no reservations about showing the rest of world how stupid they could be via the mass media of their time.

(...and with the ONLY difference being HERE that that Boozefighter member there volunteered to show how stupid HE could be via the old printed periodical format)

·
Registered
179 Posts
My mother in law was 13 year old during that "event". Her grandmother owned the hotel that most stayed at. I think the fire station is there now. She said they drag raced down the main street and the streets had a lot of litter and beer bottles. Other than that there was not rioting, no fights and they were nice people. They just were rowdy. She said it really was not be deal....in fact she being a kids thought it was fun.

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Well I think Hollister is pretty much a lame assed event when compared to Street Vibrations, AZ Bike week or especially Sturgis. Was there at Hollister last year. Went into one building where Indian was set up and ordered a very pricy watered down jack and Coke that came in a plastic cup. After finishing the drink I was planning on walking out with the ice left over ( there was a lot of ice to start with) and the guy at the door said no can do. WTF over? The so called beer garden on San Beneto Road was surrounded by a very high chain link wire fence with an entrance off to the side. Took me a minute to figure out how to get into it. On Sunday they shut the "beer garden" down at 4:00 PM. Again WTF over? About 6 cops in flack jackets and one with an assault rifle inside the beer garden. Compared to other rallies the heavy police presence is something to see. All these LEO's cruising around in their Hollister Rally shirts some in what appeared to be in riot gear except for the helmets. So much for a rally that uses the word Freedom in it's title. As one can guess after going a few times I am completely done with this place. Got better places to ride to and spend my money.

·
Bronze member
1,323 Posts
Well I think Hollister is pretty much a lame assed event when compared to Street Vibrations, AZ Bike week or especially Sturgis. Was there at Hollister last year. Went into one building where Indian was set up and ordered a very pricy watered down jack and Coke that came in a plastic cup. After finishing the drink I was planning on walking out with the ice left over ( there was a lot of ice to start with) and the guy at the door said no can do. WTF over? The so called beer garden on San Beneto Road was surrounded by a very high chain link wire fence with an entrance off to the side. Took me a minute to figure out how to get into it. On Sunday they shut the "beer garden" down at 4:00 PM. Again WTF over? About 6 cops in flack jackets and one with an assault rifle inside the beer garden. Compared to other rallies the heavy police presence is something to see. All these LEO's cruising around in their Hollister Rally shirts some in what appeared to be in riot gear except for the helmets. So much for a rally that uses the word Freedom in it's title. As one can guess after going a few times I am completely done with this place. Got better places to ride to and spend my money.
Yep, and pretty much the very reason(s) I've never been drawn to these sorts of events, and after I attended the first two Hollister rallies when they started them back in '97. Guess I didn't learn my lesson the first year.

Nope, and NOT because of the "police presence", but just the very idea that, first, these sort of events just seem like a destination to ride to in order to drink, get a little drunk and party really isn't "my bag", but secondly, how many freakin' American cruisers can ya look at during these sort of events before you start feeling like they all look the same, I ask?!

And thus is the very reason the ONLY event I EVER look forward to attending each and every year is the Hansen Dam British motorcycle rally(and 90 mile ride up the canyons and back) in SoCal every November, and where it's the various motorcycles of all vintages and makes made throughout this wide ol' world that show up(now days about 1200-1300 of 'em) that are the main attraction for the day.

(...and being around the KNOWLEDGEABLE riders and owners who ride in on 'em with the LAST thing on their minds being "partying" and/or "getting drunk" has always been an added little bonus for me!)

·
Silver member
4,971 Posts
The Hollister rally is just okay. It has changed a lot over the years. I thought Hollister Indian sponsoring the saloon was really cool and you go to see one of the original 99' Chiefs that came off the line in brand new condition. Rey Sotelo's bike, So that was fun.

But I hate that it is mostly miles of t-shirt vendors and no real product representation. Back in 03/04 you could get an air ride suspension installed, custom cut a license plate, pick-up some leather tool bags, etc. Nowadays it just the dirt bikes in cage and shirts, shirts, and more shirts.

Hamador1, you couldn't take your drink outside because the Jack Daniels truck was in the courtyard to sell you a cocktail direct. It was just to the left of the entrance!

Reactions: hamador1

·
Bronze member
1,193 Posts
A small group of us from SoCal will be attending.[/QUOT

Cool, any route plans yet Enzo ? Will meet up somewhere along the way.

Reactions: Gravelman
1 - 16 of 16 Posts