Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed hogworkz halo lights on my 18 limited. On driving lights there was an extra wire not connected to anything. I noticed that the halo ring isn’t on. Is that wire supposed to be connected to power wire.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There will be a lead in there somewhere labelled 'parking' or something similar. Or it might need to plug in where the warbonnet would normally be - there should be a socket there even though your bike doesn't have one on the fender.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There will be a lead in there somewhere labelled 'parking' or something similar. Or it might need to plug in where the warbonnet would normally be - there should be a socket there even though your bike doesn't have one on the fender.
The extra wire is off the hogworkz driving light harness.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just installed hogworkz halo lights on my 18 limited. On driving lights there was an extra wire not connected to anything. I noticed that the halo ring isn’t on. Is that wire supposed to be connected to power wire.
I just installed the Halo on my 2019 Chieftain, I just unplugged the old and plugged in the new. No extra wire, really just plug and play-everything works. I did watch a install on a H-D and there was an extra wire with a quick splice for the running lights. Mine was not set up that way.

·
Bronze member
1,818 Posts
I think there is confusion regarding headlight, driving/auxiliary lights and halo /DRL. The headlight itself has three wires (regardless if the bike has aux lights or not) or you could not have hi /lo beam. The halo would be a fourth wire.
For auxiliary lights, they only require two wires to run and a third would be for the halo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your 19 chieftain only has a headlight which has 3 wire plug. Mine is an 18 chieftain and has driving lights also which have a 2 wire plug.
I think there is confusion regarding headlight, driving/auxiliary lights and halo /DRL. The headlight itself has three wires (regardless if the bike has aux lights or not) or you could not have hi /lo beam. The halo would be a fourth wire.
For auxiliary lights, they only require two wires to run and a third would be for the halo.
So you think if I connect that yellow wire to the power wire at auxiliary plug the halo will work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
yes. How you want the halo to work is determined by the power source (circuit /fuse) you select, on with key, on with lights, etc.
On the hogworkz site, one person wrote: "if you want all three halos to be lit you have to wire the passing ones to the main halo wire". I have an '18 Chief Dark Horse, I guess I would have to add an additional wiring from the passing lights to the main one. Doesn't seem all that complicated

·
Bronze member
1,818 Posts
With Can bus circuitry, adding loads can possibly trigger the VCM to indicate issues as far as possible opens, shorts, etc and throw codes. LEDs draw so little amps that adding some may still be in range to not look like a short.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm also going to install the driving lights. Can you show how you rerouted the yellow wire? Also, did the lamps wire harness connect directly into the the bikes harness (female)?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts