Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to riding and want to learn more about the history of Indian. Can anyone recommend a good book or resource out there?

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can go to Youtube .com and type in History of Indian Motorcycles. There's plenty to watch, then go to the Indian manufacturers web site, and watch their video's on indians. This should help...

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
two good books i read are:

. . .The Harley-Davidson and Indian Wars by Girdler
Hmmm . . . you mean Indian never lost and only withdrew to regroup? No truce? No cease fire?
By the flavor of many posts I think the war rages on - much like the War of Northern Aggression!;)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,048 Posts
Good evening,
A very good book about bringing an old Indian back to life is " Rebuilding the Indian" by Fred Haefele.
--- Randall

·
Registered
723 Posts
Quinn, be nice now. Just because we are south of the Mason Dixon doesn't mean we have the right to complain. However because we are near DC... that give us the right to complain!:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with all of the above. I am going to add Jerry Hatfield's "Illustrated Indian Buyer's Guide". Incredible photos, but he has these boxed sections titled "Riding a 19XX Indian" and takes you on his personal experience of riding that specific Indian and he does this with Indians from every phase of the brand from a 1908 single through a 1949 vertical twin.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Little bit off-topic, but is there a museum specific to Indian much like the Harley Museum in Milwaukee (which is a fantastic museum, by the way)?

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
The best museum for motorcycles that I have ever been to is near Birmingham Alabama, The Barber Museum, it is over 5 stories of 1200 motorcycles and at least half are up close on display at all times, with a rotation of displayed bikes every few months..

I think every model of any Indian produced is there, It took me two days to go through the entire museum in order not to miss all the great bikes on display.

Barber : Home

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Little bit off-topic, but is there a museum specific to Indian much like the Harley Museum in Milwaukee (which is a fantastic museum, by the way)?
Indian Motorcycle Museum
33 Hendee St
Springfield, MA 01104
(413) 737-2624
Part of the vast complex where Indian motorcycles were made until 1953. The museum resides in the heart of town, near Blunt Park. (no direct webpage).

Event Note:
Indian Motocycle Day - July 17th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm

Also a museum in Australia:
Indian Motorcycle Museum of Australia - Home
http://indianmotorcyclemuseumaust.com.au/
And finally, the AMA Hall of Fame which has Indians:
Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
The Lone Star Motorcycle Museum out near the famous Twisted Sisters in the Texas Hill Country has a few very old Indians and I was told that they all run.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If you ever ride to Maggie valley or do the tail of the dragon area don't miss the museum wheels through time. Dale is usually around and it has a lot of interesting bikes including some Indians...he also has a show on called "what's in the barn".......I think the ride over the mountain from Cherokee to gatlinberg is one of the best in that area along with about 5 other roads.......

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you are near NY (not the city) then check out Motorcyclepedia. It is a huge museum and I hear that they have an example of an Indian motorcycle for every year of production. Will find out as I'm heading there on January 31 with a bunch of Indian enthusiasts. Will be packing the camera.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts