Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 16 chief darkhorse. Has a s&s air cleaner on it and when i rev i hear a hissing sound but doesnt do it when im just cruising

I searched youtube and this guy is having a similer issue with his bike

Any ideas on it?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have a Wimmer and it also has an open element filter and I hear the same type of noise at idle and light throttle. It is just the sound they make when you do not have the cover like the original to help shield it from your ears. Just your engine drawing breath, I don't even notice mine any more but it used to bother me. Just ride it.

Reactions: pope

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Wimmer, Venom Plenum, likely others, all allow you to hear your intake airflow - especially under open throttle. Not an issue for the bike. If it is an issue for your ear, perhaps there are alternate air filter arrangements that mask more of that noise.

·
Silver member
3,839 Posts
As mentioned above, just sucking air/fuel so not a problem.

Bikes, they have a hissy-fit now and then ;)

·
German Rider
1,091 Posts
That is not an issue. That is the normal sound. But with the stock air filters, you wont hear it.

The main thing is noise reduction and second is filtering the intake air.

Open up the stock airfilter system on any gas engine and your will hear the same or similar sound - depends a bit on how much cylinders, injection or carburated, etc.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have a 16 chief darkhorse. Has a s&s air cleaner on it and when i rev i hear a hissing sound but doesnt do it when im just cruising

I searched youtube and this guy is having a similer issue with his bike

Any ideas on it?
When you dont hear that, you probly will be making similar sounds with your mouth and lungs as you push it home lol. High suck filters are loud. My loyds arrowhead filter sounds weird lol

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
#37 has the big sucker on it and I would call it more like a huffing sound. After it was installed I was like, holy crap, and checked the intake boots. All tight and no cracks.

·
Rider
824 Posts
My VooDoo intake makes a bit louder intake noise, kind of like air being sucked into it, not overly noisy though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts