Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was experiencing a highway speed slight shimmy/wabble in the front end.....it was unnerving to say the least. The shimmy was worst if I had a passenger. I replaced the stock front springs with the Progressive brand springs made for the Indian Scout 60. A huge difference I have had the bike out multiple times now on the freeway running 65 up to 80 mph. Rock solid! The bike feel so much better.....solo or with two up. The Progressive front springs cost is less that $100.00. They have made the biggest difference in my Scouts ride. Also adjust the rear shocks to your weight......they most likely are not right

·
Bronze member
3,057 Posts
Yup! Progressive definitely makes a good product.I've replaced the front springs on several of my scooters installing the progressive springs and they made all the difference in the world. (y) (y)

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I was experiencing a highway speed slight shimmy/wabble in the front end.....it was unnerving to say the least. The shimmy was worst if I had a passenger. I replaced the stock front springs with the Progressive brand springs made for the Indian Scout 60. A huge difference I have had the bike out multiple times now on the freeway running 65 up to 80 mph. Rock solid! The bike feel so much better.....solo or with two up. The Progressive front springs cost is less that $100.00. They have made the biggest difference in my Scouts ride. Also adjust the rear shocks to your weight......they most likely are not right
View attachment 588199
Suspension is everything the tires are not In Making a safe and pleasant ride!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The difference is amazing......I don't push the bike when I ride....so I am sure I am not riding the suspension to the potential but the stability on the road at highway speed is biggest and best difference I notice.

Reactions: TerryJ and Hatt

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
The difference is amazing......I don't push the bike when I ride....so I am sure I am not riding the suspension to the potential but the stability on the road at highway speed is biggest and best difference I notice.
I've always said stock suspension is there so the bike doesn't have to be drag out of show room on its Belly..
It's ideal for no one.
It's the best adjustment anyone can make on a bike. IMHO

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always said stock suspension is there so the bike doesn't have to be drag out of show room on its Belly..
It's ideal for no one.
It's the best adjustment anyone can make on a bike. IMHO
"I've always said stock suspension is there so the bike doesn't have to be drag out of show room on its Belly.. "
hahaha love that saying.....yet so true!

·
Rider
1,140 Posts
I put progressive springs on my 2017 and have been pleased with the improved feeling of stability.
I stuck with the recommended 10W fork oil but am thinking of going to 20W on my next tire change.
Feedback from those using heavier than 10W will be appreciated.

Reactions: Gravelman

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know what you're talking about in terms of the highway-speed wobble, and yeah, it's "unnerving" to say the least.

I wound up mostly solving my problem with the 1920 seat. I find it more comfortable anyway.

That said, my last bike was a Triumph with a heavily upgraded front suspension -- Progressive springs, etc. I know how all that works. The problem is that I have a 2018 Scout, which has the "new and improved" suspension -- that includes cartridges. My understanding is that I can't just drop in new springs... right?

Anybody upgraded the front springs on their 2018+ Scout? If so I haven't been able to find that thread. :p

--Jaeger

·
Rider
651 Posts
I put progressive springs on my 2017 and have been pleased with the improved feeling of stability.
I stuck with the recommended 10W fork oil but am thinking of going to 20W on my next tire change.
Feedback from those using heavier than 10W will be appreciated.
I did the same with the springs on my '17 PLUS switched to the 20wt oil the Progressive folks recommend. Worked out great! Make sure you pull the tubes, drain the old oil and flush out the crud with a couple of partial fills. Pump each tube during the flushing to help release the crap. I bought two quarts of the 20wt so I had one for flushing and one for final fill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts