Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Will highway bars interfere with Driving Lights install process?

• No, go ahead and install Highway Bars

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Yes, wait and install driving lights first.

Votes: 1 10.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Do you have the Chief model? No complications that I know of. I have the Indian OEM driving lights plus highway bars on mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ohene - did you get the highway bars installed and did you have any installation issues other than driving lights? I'm about to do the same and realized it appears i need to remove the running boards to install the bolts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven’t installed them yet. I ordered them from Amazon, delivered yesterday. I ordered Windshield and Driving lights from the dealer and still waiting on them to come in.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I haven’t installed them yet. I ordered them from Amazon, delivered yesterday. I ordered Windshield and Driving lights from the dealer and still waiting on them to come in.
Driving lights (OEM from Indian that are installed on the Chief series bikes) do not interfere with the installation of the highway bars. You will have to remove the running boards to install the bolts for the highway bars though. I seem to remember I had to only remove the brake side to make it all fit. Getting the bar around the brake line is a little tricky but if you thread the end of the bar through the lines you will be able to position it. It will make sense when you go to do it. Also note the top bolts that are collared do not go all the way in flush with the highway bar holes so don't over tighten. Torque to proper specs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driving lights (OEM from Indian that are installed on the Chief series bikes) do not interfere with the installation of the highway bars. You will have to remove the running boards to install the bolts for the highway bars though. I seem to remember I had to only remove the brake side to make it all fit. Getting the bar around the brake line is a little tricky but if you thread the end of the bar through the lines you will be able to position it. It will make sense when you go to do it. Also note the top bolts that are collared do not go all the way in flush with the highway bar holes so don't over tighten. Torque to proper specs.
Thank you. I won’t have a chance to start till later next week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The brake side running board is what I was interested in because of the attached reservoir holding the break fluid. Do you have to detach the line from that reservoir? I may be overthinking this but if you detach the bracket holding the rear brake lever and running board then you need to also detach the line from the reservoir, or leave it attached and let the whole assembly hang there. What am i missing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The brake side running board is what I was interested in because of the attached reservoir holding the break fluid. Do you have to detach the line from that reservoir? I may be overthinking this but if you detach the bracket holding the rear brake lever and running board then you need to also detach the line from the reservoir, or leave it attached and let the whole assembly hang there. What am i missing?
There is a screw attaching that cable to the frame. Remove the screw and you should have no problem sliding the bar through. I started sliding behind that cable from the left side. My upper screws were too long, therefore I also recommend placing a few washers between the upper highway bar and bike frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ohene - did you get the highway bars installed and did you have any installation issues other than driving lights? I'm about to do the same and realized it appears i need to remove the running boards to install the bolts.
Yes. 2 bolts at the bottom holding the right floor board need to be removed. It helps if you have an extra set of hands. If you want, I’ll take a pic of the 2 bolts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes. 2 bolts at the bottom holding the right floor board need to be removed. It helps if you have an extra set of hands. If you want, I’ll take a pic of the 2 bolts.
i found the two bolts but when you take em out you'll still have a small hose connecting the brake fluid res to the engine, and just curious if everyone is disconnecting that as well.

Any idea if there is a torque spec for engine guard bolts?

·
Rider
434 Posts
Leave it attached... I propped mine on a small box while I was doing the install.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i found the two bolts but when you take em out you'll still have a small hose connecting the brake fluid res to the engine, and just curious if everyone is disconnecting that as well.

Any idea if there is a torque spec for engine guard bolts?
Lower bolts. 35 ft-lb,
Upper bolts, 18 ft-lbs.

Found in the Service manual page 1.55

·
Registered
403 Posts
Reactions: 2WheelCruising
1 - 20 of 20 Posts