Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Highway Bar Soft Closeouts

4363 14
I purchased some Highway Bar Soft Closeouts P/N: 2881125 for my 2018 Chieftain Darkhorse. I spent about a half hour trying to install them on the highway bars - a job I thought would take a couple of minutes. The material that wraps around the bars seemed a little short and the buckles did not really line up. Anyway, I finally got them installed.

Is this normal? Will they eventually stretch into shape? I don't want cut fingers and scratched knuckles every time I want to put them on.

Product Electronic device Technology Mobile phone accessories Gadget
Finger Nail Skin Hand Thumb
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Maybe toss them in the dryer for a few minutes next time before install. Might be a little more pliable then.

Reactions: WillC

·
Bronze member
2,091 Posts
I purchased some Highway Bar Soft Closeouts P/N: 2881125 for my 2018 Chieftain Darkhorse. I spent about a half hour trying to install them on the highway bars - a job I thought would take a couple of minutes. The material that wraps around the bars seemed a little short and the buckles did not really line up. Anyway, I finally got them installed.

Is this normal? Will they eventually stretch into shape? I don't want cut fingers and scratched knuckles every time I want to put them on.

View attachment 540090 View attachment 540092
Damn sure you dident put them on you pipe,s after a ride?? JK

·
Bronze member
3,773 Posts
they are the biggest pain in the ass... I put them on when it gets to below 50 daytime temp and they don't come off again until it's higher than that... I used some of my 750 hero's money to buy them thinking I would carry them along and when it was raining or cool in the morning I would just slap them on... big mistake.. as I said in another thread... GET AFTER MARKET... my buddy has aftermarket and he can slap his on both sides in less than 5 minutes...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thank you for the above posts on the difficulty of installing these OEM Soft Lowers!

I was having new Handlebars installed on my new Chieftain last weekend as part of my original bike purchase the week before and I asked the service Mgr if I bought the lowers, would they install them for free foe me.

He said “Sure in would only take a few minutes.

After the three hour bar install it took two techs 45 minutes to get these darn things on the bike! LOL!

Thanks again for the info fellas!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

·
Bronze member
4,070 Posts
You might try heating them with a heat gun. That might help.
That's exactly right.Heat em up real good,then,before they can cool,snap em on in place,let em cool, and they'll shrink up nice and tight for a snug fit,not to mention,they'll look good too.I made a pair for my SDH out of 1/16 lexan that I had laying around my shop,cutting em to shape to fit the crash bars,then heating em up with a heat gun so as to follow the contour of the bars when in place,then attaching em to the bars with a couple small U bolts,or,you could use a couple small plastic tie wraps.Works like a charm and they look factory!! (y)

·
Bronze member
1,406 Posts
I have a set and found that being carful to make sure the inner flap is seated before trying to press the snap helps. I’d use a lot of caution with the heat, I usually have a heater pointed in the direction of my work space but at that time of year I use it on any work space.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts