Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After bending one of my highway bars from a slow impact with a tire, I was curious if anyone has a story to tell about their highway bars from various impacts.
Mainly concerning the brand (Indian, or not) and speed, angle of the hit.

Mine are just a Chinese copy of the Indian bars for the Scout.

I was only moving about 5 mph through the carport when I bounced off a tire sidewall, trying to squeeze by a little too fast in the dark.
Lucky for me I fell against the door steps, propped up by a saddle bag instead of going all the way down.

I didn’t notice until the next day that both the upper and lower bar mounts were bent, bar was not angled forward anymore, it was straight out instead.

To fix it I’m just going to buy a replacement set, since they are only a third the cost of the Indian bars.
I’ll try to straighten the bent mounts. That way I’ll have a replacement set if this happens again.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I faced the other end of the spectrum - hit a 200 gal chemical tank at 65 mph. The OEM bar sheared at the base *as did the foot board bracket. Cannot say whether aftermarket would have performed differently, but I think the factory bar absorbed the force pretty well to reduce damages to my leg... ( I still went splat pretty hard)

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts