Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
That was ugly. If the person survives that they are extremely lucky.

·
Bronze member
1,918 Posts
Amazing he survived. We had a similar MC accident here a few years ago. Driver died.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,805 Posts
It's true that many drivers are speeding more than usual, possibly taking advantage of the emptier roadways. We were coming home yesterday in my truck doing 60 mph in a 55 zone. I had at least a mile or more empty road behind me when I saw headlights in the distance closing rapidly from behind me. A silver Honda Pilot was racing up on me at what must've been at least 80 mph on this 2 lane highway. She got right up behind my tailgate and nearly pulled into a head-on with oncoming traffic and passed me about a half mile later just getting back in our lane before a near head-on again. She repeated this after racing up on the next vehicle about 1/4 mile ahead of me nearly head on before getting back in the lane, I was glad I wasn't on my Indian at the time.

·
Rider
973 Posts
I love 2 lane highways, at times they are terrifying when dummies are encountered out there that are recklessly ignoring how to navigate the 2 lane highway.

I ride a 2 lane from Montana to Sturgis, the first 140 miles or so are 2 lane, out by the mines there is extremely heavy semi traffic.

Last time I came back from Sturgis on the Chieftain, out by the mines I had 12 semis nose to tail go by in the opposite direction on that 2 lane highway, ..that had me nervous for a few miles

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I love 2 lane highways, at times they are terrifying when dummies are encountered out there that are recklessly ignoring how to navigate the 2 lane highway.

I ride a 2 lane from Montana to Sturgis, the first 140 miles or so are 2 lane, out by the mines there is extremely heavy semi traffic.

Last time I came back from Sturgis on the Chieftain, out by the mines I had 12 semis nose to tail go by in the opposite direction on that 2 lane highway, ..that had me nervous for a few miles

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
That was a simple matter of outriding your capabilities. But glad he lived thru it. Are you talking about highway 12 by chance ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
One of the most memorable motorcycle accidents I had to work was a guy on a sport bike was zoomen when he lost control. He slid across the roadway and his arm hit a road sign...Ripped it right off.

Thats why I'm never in a rush just enjoying the ride.

Guy lived but not able to ride anymore.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yep been there done that ! But for the most part you can rock pretty good thru there especially on 12
Is the Stoneville Saloon still open in Alzada ? Went thru there last year on our way back from Portland and it was closed. I’ve been stopping thru there for many years

·
Rider
514 Posts
I was watching a future organ donor yesterday while taking a ride. Guy on a softail treating every stoplight like a drag race and weaving through traffic and cutting between cars at 50+ miles per hour. All while in the safety of his t-shirt and half helmet. Was behind him for about 5 miles before I lost track of him, which is funny considering all his furious attempts at being SpeedRacer he never really got that far ahead of me and I was in pure mosey mode.

·
Registered
408 Posts
One of the most memorable motorcycle accidents I had to work was a guy on a sport bike was zoomen when he lost control. He slid across the roadway and his arm hit a road sign...Ripped it right off.

Thats why I'm never in a rush just enjoying the ride.

Guy lived but not able to ride anymore.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
That kind of thing can happen anywhere.

1985, heading home from work at MCV-VCU in Richmond VA. Taking the side roads to avoid heavy traffic on Monument Blvd. Driver, looking for an address, runs her stop sign, T-Bones my left side and virtually amputated my left foot above the ankle. Bone and skin grafts, external fixator, one year of PT and rehab. BTW, a couple of other notes: none of the street clothes I was wearing were damaged (other than the left pant leg), and (just dumb luck) I had on a full face helmet. No road rash at all. Not a speck. And my street clothes were returned to me, intact. Meaning.... I landed right on my head. I was one lucky guy, to be sure.

Ever since then, I have worn a full-face helmet any time I've gone riding. God bless all you who choose not to.

Lesson: always expect the unexpected. And, where a full face helmet.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Was with a group of about a dozen bikes this weekend. We stopped for gas and a break at a Wawa. When leaving, the tailgunner pulled out to block traffic for our line of bikes. The tailgunner left a half of a lane open. A cager in a Yuppie Land Rover swerved around the tailgunner. I happened to look to my left and spotted the Land Rover. By this time I was unable to stop. I swerved close to the curb, as the cager, to avoid scratching his Land Rover, swerved left. We barely missed each other. My hands were shaking. When I saw the tailgunner at the next stop, he apologized to me, and complimented my skills.
I, almost always, look for an escape route. Luckily, on Sunday, I looked and reacted, otherwise I would not be here to tell this story.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts