Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
241 - 260 of 356 Posts

· Read Only
243 Posts
Soo you gotta know the best tire, jusayun, which do you like most or have you kept the same brand??
I have been using Dunlop Elite 4’s since they came out. They handle well when half wore out and I can usually get them out the door for 580 dollars. They last about 16,000 miles and wear fairly even; I always replace both at the same time.

· Read Only
243 Posts
2015 RM PURCHASED 02/20/15 75,450 MILES JUST RETURNED TO NC FROM GLACIER NATIONAL PARK 09/02/19 TWO UP 6724 ROUND TRIP NO ISSUES!
If I recall correctly, how was your journey across Northern Minnesota this past summer? We have had record precipitation this year so if you stayed dry your timing was good! That’s great mileage on your RM and should be good for many more miles! We have snow now so this odometer picture will not change for awhile. My bike does need a new complete exhaust but that’s about it!
Vehicle Speedometer Odometer Display device Auto part

· Registered
80 Posts
Larry, your Speedo indicates you rode the last 3000 miles or so at over 58mph average. By your own admission you ride less than 400 miles a day. 5am-8am. Weather in Minnesota the last couple of weeks has been brutal. I'm suggesting next service at the dealer you get your Speedo checked.

· Read Only
243 Posts
Larry, your Speedo indicates you rode the last 3000 miles or so at over 58mph average. By your own admission you ride less than 400 miles a day. 5am-8am. Weather in Minnesota the last couple of weeks has been brutal. I'm suggesting next service at the dealer you get your Speedo checked.
Your calculations are very close to correct! Using the previous odometer picture I traveled 3,606 miles in 63.5 hours. That’s a 56.787 mph average for those miles. I do travel a little faster when it’s cold because my time is limited to how long I can ride before I get numb and safety decreases. Riding cold is about the same as drunk, decisions are very poor! I am always home before safety starts to decline. My average speed for the life of the bike is about 54.9 mph because I avoid towns and traffic lights as much as possible. I know that is a fast average mph but if my motor is running chances are my bike is moving and not sitting! In temperatures below 40 degrees those miles are only during daylight and on dry roads!

· Registered
1,184 Posts
So I did some math like you all have and I see how larry’s mileage is really doable. Do to my job I never ride Monday thru thurs day. Friday is church night with the club I ride in so that’s literally a 12 mile ride. For 6 months I ride every weekend weather permitting I can ride them all. which I can’t do to weather at times it = 48 days. Plus the 30 days I take vacation on top of that is 78 days at best total. This season between both bikes I did 14,678 miles. That works out to 188 a day average for every day I ride if I could ride them all. Wow imagine I could get some real miles in when I retire and move to Arizona! Lol I’m thinking 50g a year quite Feasible. Hell 8 yrs back I got 33g in a season. Yeah I’m jealous of all the riding he gets in dam you @Larry S !

· Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the come back on my post Larry. My wife and I traveled from the 29th of July to the 29th of August from the coast of N C to Michigan and then across the straights into the UP then east on US 2 all the way to Glacier National Park. The weather was perfect with one light misty shower for about three minutes somewhere in the vast openness of the High plains. Gas stops were no problem as long as you calculated how far you were from the next town. I carry an extra gallon in the left saddlebag just in case. US 93 south from GNP through the Bitteroot and Sawtooth mountains to Craters of the moon and then on to Saltlake city east on 80 to 40 in Utah to Vernal and Dinosaur Nat. Mem. onto Grand Junction Co. Thats just about half of the trip. I have to say what we saw of this great country and the work of Gods hand most people don't see because of the closure of an automobile! This was the 4th year my wife and I have taken a trip like this and we are looking forward to another one next year. Maybe a southern route through Florida and states west into New Mexico and Arizona. To many places to list in this post but all in all really great trip! Thanks for the asking.

· Registered
2,846 Posts
Thanks for the come back on my post Larry. My wife and I traveled from the 29th of July to the 29th of August from the coast of N C to Michigan and then across the straights into the UP then east on US 2 all the way to Glacier National Park. The weather was perfect with one light misty shower for about three minutes somewhere in the vast openness of the High plains. Gas stops were no problem as long as you calculated how far you were from the next town. I carry an extra gallon in the left saddlebag just in case. US 93 south from GNP through the Bitteroot and Sawtooth mountains to Craters of the moon and then on to Saltlake city east on 80 to 40 in Utah to Vernal and Dinosaur Nat. Mem. onto Grand Junction Co. Thats just about half of the trip. I have to say what we saw of this great country and the work of Gods hand most people don't see because of the closure of an automobile! This was the 4th year my wife and I have taken a trip like this and we are looking forward to another one next year. Maybe a southern route through Florida and states west into New Mexico and Arizona. To many places to list in this post but all in all really great trip! Thanks for the asking.
To do that kind of trip in your 70's is simply awesome. Hope I'm able when I'm at that point as well. As of now, I can't go more than 2 hrs without throwing on the backrest!

· Bronze member
5,052 Posts
Did this so far:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice one. I pulled off the road for a pic when I reached 50,000 kms, and I've done it with an old car many years ago when it reached something memorable (not so memorable now as I forget what the number was :) )

I wonder how many riders have stopped along the way just so they can take a pic of their odometer like this.

· Registered
174 Posts
I recently changed oil in my 2014 Chieftain and started using this 10W-50 from Castrol. I can get it for 10.69 dollars per quart. It seems like this weight oil is ideal for the 111 engine. Weather has been about 20 degrees below normal for the last 10 days with temperatures in the 30’s . This weight oil is working out very well with much easier starts and still keeps my old engine quiet !
Motor oil Lubricant Fluid

· Registered
1,184 Posts
I recently changed oil in my 2014 Chieftain and started using this 10W-50 from Castrol. I can get it for 10.69 dollars per quart. It seems like this weight oil is ideal for the 111 engine. Weather has been about 20 degrees below normal for the last 10 days with temperatures in the 30’s . This weight oil is working out very well with much easier starts and still keeps my old engine quiet ! View attachment 610247
For spring and late fall I can see it. Like yourself if I remember right I’ve always been a fan of the 60 over 50. Out here in AZ now no other way for me to go now. But prior back in Chicago I never really go out anymore below 50 degrees. I still ran the 60 but definitely let it warm up 5 to 10 minutes before I would roll. Roll safe larry I see the white stuff has already payed you a visit.

241 - 260 of 356 Posts