Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It would now seem that I to have Sercombe to the throttle issues that has plagued other scout owners as well as some other issues that I no longer can tolerate.

Along with the throttle surging fault, other issues have arisen with the scout and have been noted bellow, and require attention.
  1. Front brakes have a grinding sound omitting when brakes are applied
  2. Fuel warning light not functioning
  3. Gear selection issues between 5th into 6th (has a slight gamming feel before going into 6th)
  4. OEM horn was replaced, as it no longer was working, (sending this back with the scout)
So concerning was the video on youtube Indian HQ asked the dealer to call me and ask if I could remove the video showing the throttle hunting fault that lasted more than 5 min before it would return to idle, I have also asked at the same time that I have a meeting with HQ over this issue, anyway have it loaded into the motorcycle transport vehicle, for a 4hr road trip back to the dealership, and have a replacement ride until my scout is returned.

Update go to post #117

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Tire Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Spoke

·
Registered
129 Posts
It would now seem that I to have Sercombe to the throttle issues that a has plagued other scout owners as well as some other issues that I no longer can tolerate.

Along with the throttle surging fault, other issues have arisen with the scout and have been noted bellow, and require attention.
  3. Gear selection issues between 5th into 6th (has a slight gamming feel before going into 6th)
  4. OEM horn was replaced, as it no longer was working, (sending this back with the scout)
So concerning was the video on youtube Indian HQ asked the dealer to call me and ask if I could remove the video showing the throttle hunting fault that lasted more than 5 min before it would return to idle, I have also asked at the same time that I have a meeting with HQ over this issue, anyway have it loaded into the motorcycle transport vehicle, for a 4hr road trip back to the dealership, and have a replacement ride until my scout is returned.

View attachment 31248 View attachment 31249
Did they agree to a meeting...?

Might be too worried about the list of issues you will throw at them !

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did they agree to a meeting...?

Might be too worried about the list of issues you will throw at them !
Yeah they did agree to have a meeting on the throttle issue, at 2:30 tomorrow, they won't to see the scout doing it for themselves.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wow, you really downsize when you downsize! Maybe about 1/10th the size and 1/10th the power? I hope Indian gets your various issues resolved to your liking, and you can get the Scout back on the road.

·
Rider
1,072 Posts
Are you dealing with Indian/Polaris, USA directly or is there Aussie representation for you?? - JJ

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
It would now seem that I to have Sercombe to the throttle issues that a has plagued other scout owners as well as some other issues that I no longer can tolerate.

@DarkScout maybe you can discuss the OEM dangerous suspension while you have their attention - and the water intrusion issue from the open rear fender - and the list of other crap that should have had factory recalls.

·
Founding member
1,765 Posts
Good Luck DarkScout! I hope Polaris makes things right.

@DarkScout maybe you can discuss the OEM dangerous suspension while you have their attention - and the water intrusion issue from the open rear fender - and the list of other crap that should have had factory recalls.
I am not familiar with the water intrusion issue. Please elaborate.

Reactions: LH Rizzi

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I am not familiar with the water intrusion issue. Please elaborate.
The seal where the seat post goes lets water into the battery area during driving time in the rain.
Mine seems to be well sealed, but I have heard that others have tried other ways to seal.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Keep us posted on their remarks!
Will do, I asked for the meeting as I would like to know if they know about the throttle issue.

Are you dealing with Indian/Polaris, USA directly or is there Aussie representation for you?? - JJ
Polaris here in Australia and with the warranty manager for Australian Polaris

·
Rider
1,072 Posts
Will do, I asked for the meeting as I would like to know if they know about the throttle issue.

Polaris HQ and with the warranty manager, for Australia @V_twin will also be at this meeting with Polaris.
Interesting....GOOD LUCK! - JJ

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Is your video still on utube? Link?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

Dang...at least it's a nice vintage.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Spent the day at the dealership and had an excellent conversation with the warranty manager from Polaris Australia about some issues that I'm having, after some discussion about the throttle issues.

I describe the throttle surging at low speed, reaction was, have asked Polaris in the US not to ship to Australia with this in the throttle programing as we don't have the same EPA restrictions"

So it would seem that the throttle surging has indeed been in corperated into the scouts as well as other Indians because of some US EPA regulatory law.

And all Indians by law in the US have this feature, "WHY have such a stupid and dangers control".

So when your dealership says that it's normal, it may well be.

As for suspension, you only have two options, upgrade your suspension, or put up with it, not going to change along with any other issues.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
To day was spent at the dealership and had an excellent conversation with the warranty manager from Polaris Australia about some issues that I'm having, after some discussion about the throttle issues.

I then describe the throttle surging at low speed, his reaction was and I am quoting "yes we have asked Polaris in the US not to ship to Australia with this in to the throttle programing as we don't have the same EPA restrictions"

So it would seem that the throttle surging has indeed been in corperated into the scouts as well as other Indians because of US EPA regulatory law.

And all Indians by law in the US have this feature, "WHY I asked would they have such a stupid dangers control" could not give me a real answer, to this.

So when your dealership says that it's normal it is by US law to have it so.

As for suspension, you only have two options, upgrade your suspension, or put up with it, not going to change along with any other issues.
I can't find anywhere in the EPA regulations where throttle surge is mandatory.

Maybe I'm out of line here, but there's some smoke being blown in dark places. That's not to say there isn't a problem with the Scout, but it's not an EPA problem.

1 - 20 of 384 Posts